Waterfowl Dog Collar Material ?

Chuckybmd

WKR
Maybe a simple question, but curious what others do for their dogs?

My waterfowl dog is almost two now. I have been using nylon collars primarily, but need to replace her current collar.

I want to get a nice leather collar that will last. Honestly I like the look and performance of nice leather.

My only concern is water damage. She swims a lot and does a lot of water retrieves.

Does anyone still use leather collars on swimming retrievers? Or is it a waste of money?

KurtR

WKR
I have a cheap nylon one that comes off any time we are training hunting or testing. I have looked at some nicer ones but it doesnt make sense for me he hardly wears it now.

I had a couple super thick leather ones made for my bird dogs. They were not sewn, like the leather was super thick, and then doubled over and riveted to accept the hardware. They swam a lot. The collars lasted many years until their deaths, and I still have them in my nightstand. Wish I could remember the name of the guy that made them for me, think he was in Idaho.

ETA: It was Snow Canyon Outfitters in Utah. There is a FB page for them, and apparently the business got taken over by another dude and he has a phone number you can call.

Last edited:

TxLite

WKR
I put a fluorescent orange vinyl collar on my gsp and it’s held up great with a lot of water retrieves and pool days. The plan is to get a hand tooled leather collar for her to wear when she’s being a couch potato during the week, but the vinyl will be what she’s wearing for hunting or swimming to prevent damage to the leather one3018DBDE-FCEA-414F-BF9A-6062458AC051.jpeg

OP
Chuckybmd

Chuckybmd

WKR
I had a couple super thick leather ones made for my bird dogs. They were not sewn, like the leather was super thick, and then doubled over and riveted to accept the hardware. They swam a lot. The collars lasted many years until their deaths, and I still have them in my nightstand. Wish I could remember the name of the guy that made them for me, think he was in Idaho.

ETA: It was Snow Canyon Outfitters in Utah. There is a FB page for them, and apparently the business got taken over by another dude and he has a phone number you can call.
Thank you I will give them a look

OP
Chuckybmd

Chuckybmd

WKR
I put a fluorescent orange vinyl collar on my gsp and it’s held up great with a lot of water retrieves and pool days. The plan is to get a hand tooled leather collar for her to wear when she’s being a couch potato during the week, but the vinyl will be what she’s wearing for hunting or swimming to prevent damage to the leather oneView attachment 559059
That’s not a bad idea at all. Knowing myself, though, I’m gonna get lazy and leave the collar on.

Macintosh

WKR
My lab wears the gundogsupply collars, they are a nylon web covered in a molded vinyl. These or the outright plastic collars are the only type that havent really deteriorated from water exposure.
Also, I would HIGHLY second the above recommendation to get the engraved name tag with your name and cell# on it (not the dogs name). I would have lost a dog without it, best couple $ I have ever spent.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Ditto the Gun Dog Supply collars. I’ve had fantastic luck with their collars for over a decade.

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
Ditto the Gun Dog Supply collars. I’ve had fantastic luck with their collars for over a decade.
Both of my Brittanys wear these with the engraved tag. One has orange and one has green. I have the same color straps on their e collars.

If I had been smart I would have ordered them in the colors that match the colors on the switch on the Garmin Pro 550 plus. I didn't figure that out until it was too late.

I like the biothane with reflective or glow in the dark strip on them. It helps hunting the refuge were long walks before day light are common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My lab wears the gundogsupply collars, they are a nylon web covered in a molded vinyl. These or the outright plastic collars are the only type that havent really deteriorated from water exposure.
Also, I would HIGHLY second the above recommendation to get the engraved name tag with your name and cell# on it (not the dogs name). I would have lost a dog without it, best couple $ I have ever spent.
I have been using the ones with the reflective strip on them for years.
Best collars ever but I get the idea that a leather collar is something the owner would want.

OP
Chuckybmd

Chuckybmd

WKR
Looks like they are including the engraving for free. I ended up getting one of the leather colors for home use and then I’ll keep a separate Biothane one for work in the water. Best of both worlds I guess.

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
Training or hunting our dogs (three labs) don’t wear a “normal” collar, just an e-collar and Seresto collar.
I've thought about doing this a number of times. It really is just something else to get snagged. One of my e collars is engraved and the other one isn't. I need to get the one engraved and leave their regular collars off.

Prior to this year we were primarily hunting brackish water. The stainless/ECollar collars were the only thing not getting broken down and lasting. We added a plate to the e-collar and called it a day, also one less thing to get snagged in brush etc

DanimalW

WKR
The plastic/vinyl coated ones are the way to go on a swimming lab. They don’t absorb the stink like regular nylon. I can’t imagine a leather one holding up. My leather belt stretches out just from my own sweat.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
My dog wears a leather collar from Gun Dog Supply for everything, including waterfowl and I've had no issues with the leather stretching or holding up. I treat periodically with Obenauf's and after 2 years it still looks like new.

nVBmNLs.jpg

yfarm

WKR
Biothane, Gun Dog Supply. Every dog I have had at some point will without warning, roll in something that may never leave a leather collar regardless how well you clean it. Nylon stays wet and is permeable to the same stuff. Biothane is impermeable and drys quickly.