Water Treatment systems

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for a new water treatment option after my MSR Miniworks quit working when my wife and I were on a 27 mile backpacking trip in the Lost Creek Wilderness last weekend. It seems that one of the valves failed which resulted in water passing back out through the input hose rather than being forced through the filter, and it took 10 minutes to filter 12 OZ of water (we resorted to boiling). Now I'm just hoping that the filter worked at all; I guess I'll know in 1-3 weeks.

I am intrigued by the Sawyer in-line bladder filters, which look like they can also be used as a gravity filter, and I am also very interested in UV purification (especially the Camelbak All Clear).

Does anyone have any experience with these systems or recommendations for other water treatment systems?

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have used a lot of systems, and really like the Steripen UV pens for ultralight solo quantities of water, but this year I will be trying the Sawyer squeeze filter, as viruses aren't really a problem in my area, and it looks like a really fast system.

I also have a Katadyn Hiker, but hate pumping traditional filters.

Although I own a water filter, and used quite a variety, I rarely use it now except occasionally on a canoe based trip. Some work pretty good and others not so much. They certainly tend to clog, and many of them break easily. I carried iodine pills as back-up, and now iodine + neutralizer is just what I use. Keeps things simple.

Of course I can usually find semi-decent water where I play. If I have to drink out of a mud puddle or glacial stream, then straining through a coffee filter gets the grittier stuff out.

Yk