Water treatment filter msa (Hyperflow or sweetwater)

Hike&Hunt

FNG
Aron,

Have you tested the Sawyer system? I havent bothered to time it as I hang it up, tend to other tasks and come back to it. Just curious how it would fare in one of your reviews.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It would do very well!

I'm goofing around with a few things this season and one of them is the Sawyer inline. It's seems to be the ticket for the way I hunt, but the gravity filter from them is top notch too!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I wouldn't say your lucky, but probably more careful with what water you're filtering.

I tested these filters on an equal playing field (worst case) and the other filters performed better, but if tested the filters with clean water and above freezing temps, then the Hyperflow would have done very well.

I bring a filter/pump to use when the water is full of debris in the area I'm hunting, but when the water is clean I use Aquamira, so the use of the Hyperflow is un needed as I would be using the drops in water that clean and saving weight and space in my pack.

philw

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the explanation, makes sense. And you're right, I am more careful with it. I hunt a lot from fixed locations so I like to filter a bunch of water at once and then not have to worry about it for a day and a half, so speed is good.

wvtradbow

FNG
I just got a Sawyer point one squeeze filter but haven't seen a lot of talk about it yet,I haven't tried it yet either.I hope I can leave my sweet water at home as it's a good bit bigger although the sweet water has never failed me a friend did break the handle off his once and that's the only complaint i ever heard about a sweet water...

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd like to find a filter that was just a filter. In other words a screen I put over my bottle so when I dip it into the water I am just filtering the debris out. I then could drink the water if I was in the high country or use the steri-pen or treatment pills as needed. I am debating just buying a super mesh piece of screen or perhaps a cut out piece of porous cloth of some sort. In Alaska we are lucky enough to have pretty good water.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I'd like to find a filter that was just a filter. In other words a screen I put over my bottle so when I dip it into the water I am just filtering the debris out. I then could drink the water if I was in the high country or use the steri-pen or treatment pills as needed. I am debating just buying a super mesh piece of screen or perhaps a cut out piece of porous cloth of some sort. In Alaska we are lucky enough to have pretty good water.

You could try this, which should thread onto a Nalgene: http://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-Bottle-Pre-Filter-6-Liter-20-Ounce/dp/B006ZV64YO/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

or this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-photon-Steripen-FitsAll-Filter/dp/B004E1TEBW/ref=pd_sim_sg_2

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member

High Country, the Steripen Prefilter does exactly what you want, and it works pretty well for me:

http://www.steripen.com/pre-filter