"Water Resistant" Down - tested to failure...

I would love to have a set of super down but I already would have struggled with the decision to take it in a drop hunt and this validates my concern. I take a down bag but my synthetic puffy suite is part of my emergency gear and that is one area I won't risk failure. The fact is that I can put on my merino base layer, standard hunting layer, puffy suite and rain shell as a system and survive pretty much any fall weather scenario. I honestly could take my down quilt and golite sl3 and leave my sleeping bag at home but I am clinging to the comfort of a nice warm cocoon and can't seem to break my self from it! My overstuffed WM Versalite is just soooo comfy!!

Good review of your experience with the waterproof down. I am looking forward to getting some more real world testing done on my super down. 13 more days........

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
I am reviving this thread as I now have recently had the same experience as YK. I just got back from a 10 day hunt in which I wore my Superdown under my rain gear for 11 hours in very wet conditions. The sleeves did soak through and provide little to no insulation. I was able to dry it out that evening hanging in an unheated tent. Not a huge issue, but I felt I should share my experience as I defended the Superdown in previous posts.

colonel00

WKR
So based on your recent experience, would you be more likely to use synthetic on a future hunt in similar conditions or did the pros of the down jacket outweigh the cons of it eventually soaking the sleeves?

Kotaman

WKR
Tough call for me...I have used both in just about all conditions from BC, to the Yukon, to NWT to Alaska. For me the down is definately warmer when it is cold out, but I get nervous when it gets wet out. Used my Super Down in Alaska in late August and had quite a bit of rain. The stuff was not comfortable when wet, but dried quickly.

For me, I will probably carry synthetic in the early season when rain is a threat and carry the Super Down late season when cold and snow are on the menu. If I could only choose one for all conditions, I'd probably go synthetic for now.

OP
Yellowknife
For me, I will probably carry synthetic in the early season when rain is a threat and carry the Super Down late season when cold and snow are on the menu. If I could only choose one for all conditions, I'd probably go synthetic for now.

This is my call also. I have no doubt the Super Down is fine product, but I do find it odd that Kuiu seems to have dropped the Primaloft entirely. Both have their place IMO. Perhaps they are thinking the softshell is the choice for earlier season wet hunts?

Yk

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
So based on your recent experience, would you be more likely to use synthetic on a future hunt in similar conditions or did the pros of the down jacket outweigh the cons of it eventually soaking the sleeves?

Kotaman and YK have a pretty good take on it and I agree with them. However I wouldn't be overly concerned if I only had Superdown or synthetic in my closet. Both can accomplish the mission, just a few slight concerns for both.

The only real disappoint is that the Superdown just isn't really what Kuiu advertised it to be. Too bad, because it would be the perfect solution in my opinion.

OP
Yellowknife
Technology keeps getting better, and water resistant down is neat stuff, if not exactly a perfect replacement for synthetic. Some more competition from the synthetic side this year is something Mountain Hardwear is calling "Thermal Q". Not sure where they are getting it from, but they are advertising it as 35% warmer by weight than Primaloft One and zero water absorption properties. A 60 g/m hooded jacket comes in at 10 oz, and if the aren't lying, that should be a pretty warm puffy layer.

Video here:

http://vimeo.com/70350405

bigfish b.c

Lil-Rokslider
me personally i have no issues with the small downfalls of down,been using down sleeping bags for 20+ years without issue just carefull with it.my super down has been great,have got the damp on the bottom of sleeves but has not been a issue for me getting cold as the main body of the jacket stayed dry & i stayed warm.to me its worth the little extra hassle just for how small it packs & how warm it is & how long it retains its warmth,most synthetics start losing warmth after a few years.in the end it is a personal choice both work great both have downfalls pick whats most important to you & work with it.in 20+ years of moutain hunting & guiding my down has not put my life in danger even befor the advent of superdown.

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
This is my call also. I have no doubt the Super Down is fine product, but I do find it odd that Kuiu seems to have dropped the Primaloft entirely. Both have their place IMO. Perhaps they are thinking the softshell is the choice for earlier season wet hunts?

Yk

Not sure but if you're referring to the spindrift when you say Kuiu primaloft, maybe it had something to do with all the insulating primaloft coming out of the jacket. First and only primaloft jacket I've seen do that and I've had a few. I get it's intent is to be worn as a layer but that thing shed insulation more than my lab during an Alaskan summer!

InDeep

WKR
Great review thanks . I have been considering a down . I'm in Oregon and need some warmth during my late season hunt. I most often camp out of my truck . But do manage to camp in.. thanks for the review again . I feel if shout be good for what I need it for