water line question

Boonie327

FNG
Whatever you do, don’t use corrugated roll pipe. It’ll plug with debris hanging up on corrugations or bc it’s too easy to get bellies in it. Use sdr35 (green pipe usually) and it comes gasketed or solvent weld. Schedule 40 is outrageous right now. All you need is a foot of minimum cover with the sdr unless it’s absolute mud. If its cold enough to freeze in the pipe, it’s frozen on the roof or gutter and not getting into pipe anyway. And all you need is 1% slope. 2% is for turds inside a building. We lay flatter all the time. I’m installing a storm system at .25% right now. It’s not desirable but works if sized properly.

Beendare

WKR
Whatever you do, don’t use corrugated roll pipe. It’ll plug with debris hanging up on corrugations or bc it’s too easy to get bellies in it. Use sdr35 (green pipe usually) and it comes gasketed or solvent weld. Schedule 40 is outrageous right now. All you need is a foot of minimum cover with the sdr unless it’s absolute mud. If its cold enough to freeze in the pipe, it’s frozen on the roof or gutter and not getting into pipe anyway. And all you need is 1% slope. 2% is for turds inside a building. We lay flatter all the time. I’m installing a storm system at .25% right now. It’s not desirable but works if sized properly.
👆🏼This is good advice.

The corrugated stuff is garbage. Many reasons. It clogs due to the corrugations, its weak and gets crushed by roots, you cant rooter it, etc.

SDR35 PVC is rated drain pipe…worth the cost.

As stated above, you only need a little bit of fall. One trick if you dont have a laser, dig the trench and put water in it to see the flow. Knock down any high spots and you are good to go.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
👆🏼This is good advice.

The corrugated stuff is garbage. Many reasons. It clogs due to the corrugations, its weak and gets crushed by roots, you cant rooter it, etc.

SDR35 PVC is rated drain pipe…worth the cost.

As stated above, you only need a little bit of fall. One trick if you dont have a laser, dig the trench and put water in it to see the flow. Knock down any high spots and you are good to go.
Large diameter 24' and up is good for culverts. I wouldn't use the small stuff.

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pond about 150 feet from the back of my house. I want to run a pipe from the gutter down spout on the back of the house to the pond to help fill it. Its about a 3+ foot drop from house to pond. Pipe has to be strong enought to hold tractors/truck. How deep should pipe be laid, kind of pipe and size??
Thanks

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
Sch 40 is really pricey I’ve got thousands of feet of plastic field tile that holds up to tractors combines and grain cart traffic last I knew 6” ads tile was about $1/ft it’d be best to use a trencher if you dig it with a backhoe maybe bed it with some rock if you trench it a foot and a half of cover is plenty once the dirt tightens up