Water in boots.....make it stop!

Wrench

WKR
Looking at a big rain event coming. What is your trick to dry boots. I have gaiters with rain pants under...and tried over. For some reason my socks wick that water into my boots like its a job. My buddy says my socks are too tall. I dunno, but I rotate through 3 pairs of boots during the rain and always end up soaked. I have stood in the creek with all of the boots and they're waterproof. All hiker height boots fwiw.

Tia.

Hoyt Ag

FNG
Probably the outlier here, but I rub mink oil on mine a week and then again 3 days before my trip. Leave them in the sun a few hours to really let it penetrate. Outside of that, I make sure my socks are only an inch or two above the top of the boot.

Rain pants over gaiters. Are you making sure the bottom of the gaiters are tight around the boot by cinching the bottom strap as tight as it can get?

Are the cuffs of your pant legs staying above the top of your boots? And are the pant legs wet, too?

OP
W

Wrench

WKR
Rain pants over gaiters.
Are the cuffs of your pant legs staying above the top of your boots? And are the pant legs wet, too?
It seems to migrate up to my pants and then my thorlo mountaineering socks send it to my toes.

It's 100% not a boot leak. I don't have the problem with my taller boots.....someone must have figured out how to stay dry in warm weather boots.

I edited my post to add a note about cinching the gaiter straps good. It’s important to get a good seal there.

Pant cuff/hems need to stay above the top of the boot by rolling, or tucking into the tongue or sock.