Water filtration setups?

Hey y’all, I am looking at doing my first ever backpack hunt trip this year for high country mule deer. Just curious as to what you all are using for filtration systems back there. I have some ideas but would like to hear what everyone generally seems to be doing. There is going to be plenty of water where we are going so no need to pack it in. Thank in advance for all of your advice!

Mosby

WKR
I normally use a Platypus gravity filter early season w/pills for back up. If I know its going to be consistently below freezing I bring a Steripen w/pills for back up. I always have a back up and keep a few extra gallons of water in my truck.

OP
BattlebornArcher
I normally use a Platypus gravity filter early season w/pills for back up. If I know its going to be consistently below freezing I bring a Steripen w/pills for back up. I always have a back up and keep a few extra gallons of water in my truck.
This is pretty much the exact setup I plan on running this season. Seems like the best option for our situations thanks for your feedback!

OP
BattlebornArcher
Sawyer is great for personal use, gravity systems are better for a camp setup.
Exactly my thinking, I will probably have a gravity system set up at camp and a squeeze pouch or Steripen that I keep with me on the go.

We use the 10L Katadyn gravity bag. It works great and will last a couple guys multiple days. When we know we can access water somewhat close to camp we just roll it up and stuff it in an outside pocket until we hit water (it’s super lightweight). I’ve tried a bunch of other options and hated the little sawer squeeze bags, drops, pills, pen, etc. the gravity system works perfect for us and let’s you take less trips for water so you can hunt more. We also carry the filter straws in our packs so we can hit water wherever we find it and help keep our bladders in our packs as full as possible in case of a late night packing. Be sure you have a fresh clean filter prior to your trip. If you’re filtering nasty water it’ll slow the flow down significantly and clog the filter for the next trip.

Another vote for the Katadyn Befree. I've read the bags can get leaky after sometime, and the solution seems to be the HydraPak pouches that have the same thread.

I used to carry some iodine tablets for emergencies, but iodine is ridiculously difficult to "contain" lol. It always finds its way out of whatever container its it, as stains other gear around it. Not a big deal; just cosmetic but something to be aware of :)

RyanC

WKR
Gravity filters!! I have used just about everything out there for personal use, steri-pen, sawyer squeeze, pumps, Befree, tablets, etc. I finally broke down and purchased a gravity filter for a recent backpack trip and wondered what the heck took me so long!! Get a gravity filter and don't look back.

GravityFilter.jpg

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
MSR dromedary (10l) filled with clean water and a nalgene for 2-3 day trips. Especially when water is scarce. Tablets as backup. Otherwise, Aqua tabs and a nalgene for extended trips and later season. Hated my bladder components freezing up when the weather got colder.

Curious about the steripens for sure, might check one out.

OP
BattlebornArcher
Gravity filters!! I have used just about everything out there for personal use, steri-pen, sawyer squeeze, pumps, Befree, tablets, etc. I finally broke down and purchased a gravity filter for a recent backpack trip and wondered what the heck took me so long!! Get a gravity filter and don't look back.

View attachment 561937
Im seriously thinking about going the gravity filter route how long does it take to filter a 4l bag?