• Ultraviolet

Votes: 21 12.9%
  • Pills

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are you saying the Steripen was the only method that effectively treated the water? My understanding is if the Steripen is used on cloudy water or water with foreign particles in it, it is not effective. Plus I wonder what the relationship is between battery power and effectiveness.

He pulled water from a beaver pond. Sent it in and got it tested. It had giardia of course. He used different filters and the Steripen. He sent in the filtered water to test and the water treated with the Steripen was the best.

That’s from memory and it was just a little blip on the podcast. Supposedly he has talked about it before.

lvtuna

FNG
I use the Squeeze. Even with 3 to 4 people. Thinking of using it in gravity mode.

Katadyn Pocket. between me and 5 guys i hunt with we've abused most of the top ones on the market. For pumping large quantities of dirty, stagnant water..... the Pocket is the only one that has not yet failed in the field.

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
I've used the katadyn be-free 3L bladder/gravity filter with good luck. However during colder weather hunts the filter froze. I am not really big on wanting to sleep with a bunch of gear to keep it functional, so I decided to go with a steripen this year. The water in the areas I hunt typically involve some sort of flowing creek or stream, so I have confidence the steripen will be a good route for me.

Vandy321

WKR
Katadyn hiker pro + pills when its really nasty or if I accidently let the filter freeze.

Laned

WKR
Hydroblu Versaflow with a 10L dirty water reservoir (whole thing is 11 oz.) if the temps are going to stay above freezing (can't let a gravity filter freeze). Katadyn Hiker Pro otherwise. But, I always keep purification tablets in my emergency kit.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk

Jardo

WKR
I switched from a sawyer to a katadyn hiker and I also keep the chlorine tablets handy. Before I had a filter, I just used the tablets and never had a problem with taste or small particles.

I find the pump to be much more convenient for small water sources where filling the sawyer bags is impractical.

Then there's the old lifestraw. That thing works great... if you can pull a golf ball through a garden hose.

Stay away from the life straw. I know a guy who works for a municipal water supply and he said their technology is unreliable and he would never trust it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AndyB

WKR
Sawyer squeeze with an adaptor that's swaps with my bite valve for filling the bladder in my pack, paired with a vecto 2 ltr water container from cnoc outdoors for easier filling than the supplied squeeze bag.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Let's go, people, we have 40,000+ members and 110 people have voted. Do you not filter?? HAHA

Team4LongGun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our group of 6 guys last year, 5 had the squeeze style. After a week of submerging their fingers in literal ice water, to slow fill a tiny opening cap, then with cold hands squeeze same ice water into another container, they have switched to a different way.
I use the CNOC 2L bags which have a full opening top and gravity feed it (hang from tree) while I do another camp chore

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using the steripen for the last 2-3 seasons and absolutely love it. Now if I hunted somewhere with less clear, flowing water that might be a different story.

Mikedlaw

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't vote because it only lets me pick one. I use different option depending on the situation. Summer and early season I usually use a Sawyer squeeze. Late season I use a Steripen if there's a chance of freezing. I always have tablets with me for backup and sometimes I just use those.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Randle

WKR
Aquamra frontier pro and tabs for me, been using this for years, I did just pick up a befree for this year as a back up and another container