Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Muzzleloader

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Modern firearm

Votes: 28 73.7%

• Total voters

Jason277

WKR
Hello all, I have been hunting in Washington state for 5-6 years now , I started hunting later in life at 40 which has been a challenge but very rewarding at the same time. I have only been hunting blacktail and elk both on the westside of the state. I’m interested in mule deer hunting but I have heard so much negative comments about how nuts it is with people. Do most Washington guys just hunt out of state and not bother here anymore?

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
I’m blessed to have quality private ground access. It’s not Colorado, but do your work and you’ll do okay. Last years buck

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 79
Hello all, I have been hunting in Washington state for 5-6 years now , I started hunting later in life at 40 which has been a challenge but very rewarding at the same time. I have only been hunting blacktail and elk both on the westside of the state. I’m interested in mule deer hunting but I have heard so much negative comments about how nuts it is with people. Do most Washington guys just hunt out of state and not bother here anymore?

No matter what state we're talking about, you miss every shot you don't take. My experience has been that the more a hunter complains, the worse the hunter they typically are - so don't let that negativity sway your interest in hunting muleys.

Every state has different types of "nuts" factors, whether it's crazy pressure, crazy cat ladies swinging cow bells to "protect" the deer from hunters, or crazy low draw and hunter-success rates. Just go hunt.

Brownrice

Lil-Rokslider
Washington is a great place to hunt, You put the miles in or the elevation…. All weapon choices are great. The People are on the roads and in the wilderness but you can avoid all if you try. People complain about Washington but it’s just like everywhere else I’ve hunted.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
Washington is a great place to hunt, You put the miles in or the elevation…. All weapon choices are great. The People are on the roads and in the wilderness but you can avoid all if you try. People complain about Washington but it’s just like everywhere else I’ve hunted.
Copy , I have found that to be true for blacktail hunting. Seems like most folks just don’t want to deal with the jungle…

Brownrice

Lil-Rokslider
Copy , I have found that to be true for blacktail hunting. Seems like most folks just don’t want to deal with the jungle…
Same with mule deer they like those flat 10 mile hikes straight into wilderness! BUT it is cool to be a backpack hunter right now, but we will see how long the fad lasts. The UTV’s seem to be helping to get people out of the woods and back on the roads.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
Same with mule deer they like those flat 10 mile hikes straight into wilderness! BUT it is cool to be a backpack hunter right now, but we will see how long the fad lasts. The UTV’s seem to be helping to get people out of the woods and back on the roads.
Keep them on the road!

bone collector 13

FNG
Classified Approved
Wa state mule deer hunter, but put more effort into out of state hunts. Blessed to have 250K+ of private to hunt, very rarely hunt more then opening weekend, our group has been 7for7 on opening weekend for the last 7-8 years? Private land is easy to come by if you put in the effort, and don’t have a 360 or 206 area code. I spend about 40-50 hours a year working for the landowner, trash cleanup, fixing fence, repairing watering sites for cattle etc. show up during calving season and ask for permission to coyote hunt. Offer to help with calving chores. Work your way into deer permission. If you show up the night before opening day and ask for help it’s gonna be a no 90% of the time.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
Wa state mule deer hunter, but put more effort into out of state hunts. Blessed to have 250K+ of private to hunt, very rarely hunt more then opening weekend, our group has been 7for7 on opening weekend for the last 7-8 years? Private land is easy to come by if you put in the effort, and don’t have a 360 or 206 area code. I spend about 40-50 hours a year working for the landowner, trash cleanup, fixing fence, repairing watering sites for cattle etc. show up during calving season and ask for permission to coyote hunt. Offer to help with calving chores. Work your way into deer permission. If you show up the night before opening day and ask for help it’s gonna be a no 90% of the time.
Copy , I have only asked for permission for Turkey hunting and it was 50/ 50 on access. That is a good idea to offer work for access . It’s awkward but I’m guessing not many people actually put in the work…..

Bachto

WKR
8C8FBFC4-BD34-49BD-BF62-3365E6911655.jpeg
A09CAA92-A592-48C3-948B-1FD3259DEE1F.jpeg
We Killed 2 mulies on public land last year. First one was opening day of the general season. Second on was a quality tag, but not a tag known for giants or high success. You can do it, pick an area and learn it. It will take some years to find where the bucks hide and how they deal with pressure.

You can do it, pick an area and learn it.

OP, this is some of the best advice in the thread so far. While some areas have great genetics, you can find big bucks in almost any zone - maybe not world-class monsters, but definitely bruisers that will make your heart race. If you can find a zone where you can draw regularly - especially every year or every other year - focusing on that zone and really learning it will be your ticket to success. Do that, while maybe also applying out of state to what you think may be some great hunts - and you'll be a lot more ready to actually find that big public land buck out of state, than you would be in you never hunt back home.

One other thing to consider - as a Nevada hunter, I'm very, very luck to get drawn for mule deer more than once every 4 or 5 years, sometimes more. Anyone living in a state where they can hunt muleys every year or every other year is blessed.

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
I have lived in Washington state my entire life (currently 33). Washington is a difficult state for a casual hunter to find success without private property to hunt. If you take it some what serious, and put in some work and time success could be had every year. If you are a true trophy mule deer hunter, and are after “big” mule deer it is a tough state compared to other western states. I know some people will say Washington has just as big bucks as other states, but the record books don’t lie. Big bucks are killed in Washington every year, but the odds are definitely stacked against you. If the goal is an average buck and a decent experience it can definitely be had in Washington.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
OP, this is some of the best advice in the thread so far. While some areas have great genetics, you can find big bucks in almost any zone - maybe not world-class monsters, but definitely bruisers that will make your heart race. If you can find a zone where you can draw regularly - especially every year or every other year - focusing on that zone and really learning it will be your ticket to success. Do that, while maybe also applying out of state to what you think may be some great hunts - and you'll be a lot more ready to actually find that big public land buck out of state, than you would be in you never hunt back home.

One other thing to consider - as a Nevada hunter, I'm very, very luck to get drawn for mule deer more than once every 4 or 5 years, sometimes more. Anyone living in a state where they can hunt muleys every year or every other year is blessed.
Sounds good 👍🏻

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
I have lived in Washington state my entire life (currently 33). Washington is a difficult state for a casual hunter to find success without private property to hunt. If you take it some what serious, and put in some work and time success could be had every year. If you are a true trophy mule deer hunter, and are after “big” mule deer it is a tough state compared to other western states. I know some people will say Washington has just as big bucks as other states, but the record books don’t lie. Big bucks are killed in Washington every year, but the odds are definitely stacked against you. If the goal is an average buck and a decent experience it can definitely be had in Washington.
I definitely know that putting in the work is the ticket! Put ALot of time into Blacktails and it has had great results. I’m ready for a little more open country if you know what I mean . I appreciate all the positive feedback 👍🏻

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
View attachment 722725
View attachment 722726
We Killed 2 mulies on public land last year. First one was opening day of the general season. Second on was a quality tag, but not a tag known for giants or high success. You can do it, pick an area and learn it. It will take some years to find where the bucks hide and how they deal with pressure.
Is that a goat I see peeking In the back ?!

BluMtn

WKR
View attachment 722725
View attachment 722726
Tri-city guys coming east 60 miles and stealing our deer. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: