Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Muzzleloader

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Modern firearm

Votes: 23 71.9%

• Total voters

Bachto

WKR
Tri-city guys coming east 60 miles and stealing our deer. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Where else would you recommend I go? It’s 60 miles or farther in any direction to get into decent hunting for deer. I have killed deer in the northern cascades. I don’t know what you want from me.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
Where else would you recommend I go? It’s 60 miles or farther in any direction to get into decent hunting for deer. I have killed deer in the northern cascades. I don’t know what you want from me.
Not trying to start anything 😬

Wa state mule deer hunter, but put more effort into out of state hunts. Blessed to have 250K+ of private to hunt, very rarely hunt more then opening weekend, our group has been 7for7 on opening weekend for the last 7-8 years? Private land is easy to come by if you put in the effort, and don’t have a 360 or 206 area code. I spend about 40-50 hours a year working for the landowner, trash cleanup, fixing fence, repairing watering sites for cattle etc. show up during calving season and ask for permission to coyote hunt. Offer to help with calving chores. Work your way into deer permission. If you show up the night before opening day and ask for help it’s gonna be a no 90% of the time.
This is a lost art. Wish more guys would take this approach. There's a lot of private not getting hunted that could be.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
I think most guys do not have relationships with farmers/ ranchers so it’s harder to reach out .

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
Also looking at the Pole about weapon choice looks like most guys are modern firearm hunters. Any muzzle loaders having success?

bone collector 13

FNG
Classified Approved
Also looking at the Pole about weapon choice looks like most guys are modern firearm hunters. Any muzzle loaders having success?
Only hunt muzzy in WA. Started out rifle, hunted archery for a bit. Now muzzy hunt and will never change unless wa state makes drastic changes to the season

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
Wa state mule deer hunter, but put more effort into out of state hunts. Blessed to have 250K+ of private to hunt, very rarely hunt more then opening weekend, our group has been 7for7 on opening weekend for the last 7-8 years? Private land is easy to come by if you put in the effort, and don’t have a 360 or 206 area code. I spend about 40-50 hours a year working for the landowner, trash cleanup, fixing fence, repairing watering sites for cattle etc. show up during calving season and ask for permission to coyote hunt. Offer to help with calving chores. Work your way into deer permission. If you show up the night before opening day and ask for help it’s gonna be a no 90% of the time.

This is how I gained access in WA and MT. I do a stint in the summer working for both. Teacher schedule…

Harvey_NW

WKR
Used to be a diehard muzzleloader hunter, and managed to tag a few nice mature bucks over the years. Used to buy the multi season pretty much every year and explore new area during other seasons also, but 2 years ago I switched back to rifle and have moved on to greener pastures, much more difficult to access. OnX is a great resource, but totally ruined the area I hunted. I had XX-thousands of acres of farm lands essentially to myself, and was constantly playing cat and mouse with decent bucks on the intermittent private lands. The last few years I hunted it, there was a truck parked at every one of my regular spots, and the deer numbers plummeted. Didn't see anything better than a 2.5yr old 3 point, it sucks. I have quite a few buddies that still do well during muzzleloader, but I got tired of running into people and not seeing as many deer as in the past.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
Used to be a diehard muzzleloader hunter, and managed to tag a few nice mature bucks over the years. Used to buy the multi season pretty much every year and explore new area during other seasons also, but 2 years ago I switched back to rifle and have moved on to greener pastures, much more difficult to access. OnX is a great resource, but totally ruined the area I hunted. I had XX-thousands of acres of farm lands essentially to myself, and was constantly playing cat and mouse with decent bucks on the intermittent private lands. The last few years I hunted it, there was a truck parked at every one of my regular spots, and the deer numbers plummeted. Didn't see anything better than a 2.5yr old 3 point, it sucks. I have quite a few buddies that still do well during muzzleloader, but I got tired of running into people and not seeing as many deer as in the past.
Damn man, sorry to hear that . Your story is very familiar unfortunately I hear it often .

I’ll typically stick to the high buck as it turns off a lot of folks and eliminates road hunters. It’s a tough hunt though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
Yes , it looks beautiful in all of those places for sure . No doubt a tough hunt with a 2% success rate.

crowlja

FNG
When in Washington...I would hunt in state, and try to pull a non res tag in other states as well. Typically Idaho. Live in a rocky mountain state now and trying to get my dad and brother out here to hunt with me lol.