Washington Deer Recommendations

AllPNW

FNG
Interested to hear perspective on hunts with youth. The last few years we have had kids (13 & 11 this year) with us and they are enjoying the fall hunts. Although it has been a little discouraging to have them battle some of the known issues of crowded mountains and not having the energy to go over "one more ridge.." Last season we decided to target the "youth only" hunt units which they can harvest a whitetail doe or 3 pt buck. We got into lots of animals but they were all mule deer.. turns out almost all the units in the youth hunts areas have no whitetail.

So wondering on thoughts - we have reasonable expectations that a harvest isn't going to happen every year in Wa for them but want to at least increase their chances.

• Do we try a guide this year? Any recommendations on guided trips with youth?
  • I've heard to knock on a farmers door? I've been told to try this with kids, but it feels quite random.
  • Move to Idaho or Montana?
Cheers!

Attachments

• basin.jpg
    basin.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 31
  • youth.jpg
    youth.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I haven't looked at the youth opportunities in WA lately. I believe there are tags that let them shoot a mule deer with less than 3 points in some units, doe youth tags, etc. Also have you thought about getting them muzzleloader tags? I know on a lot of the westside you can shoot a doe with the muzzy tag.

OP
AllPNW

AllPNW

FNG
I haven't looked at the youth opportunities in WA lately. I believe there are tags that let them shoot a mule deer with less than 3 points in some units, doe youth tags, etc. Also have you thought about getting them muzzleloader tags? I know on a lot of the westside you can shoot a doe with the muzzy tag.
I believe that used to be true, but now it is limited to a few units in Eastern Wa units that are primarily private. We are planning on multi-season tags to get more days out. Muzzleloader/Modern rifle are the same regs just different times. Youth hunt is only rifle season for 3-6 days depending which unit..

Bachto

WKR
Not sure where you are located or where you hunted for the youth season, but I would try unit 154. I have personally killed a whitetail buck there and know you could find a couple whitetail does for your kids. I would be willing to help you out and give you a few areas to go. Though you will run into people there, when I was a kid we used to use that to our advantage and wait for someone to bump some deer our way.

OP
AllPNW

AllPNW

FNG
Not sure where you are located or where you hunted for the youth season, but I would try unit 154. I have personally killed a whitetail buck there and know you could find a couple whitetail does for your kids. I would be willing to help you out and give you a few areas to go. Though you will run into people there, when I was a kid we used to use that to our advantage and wait for someone to bump some deer our way.
Interesting, would love to hear your thoughts on 154, it only has about 2% public. The last couple years we have targeted units 133, 136, 262,266, 269.. and then late hunts more north - 121, 113.. saw more moose than deer.

Bachto

WKR
there are a bunch of feel-free-to-hunt areas. The whitetail population is very healthy there. If you go there and don't kill a couple of does I will pay for your kids tags. not joking. I pheasant hunt there too and am constantly kicking up deer.