WANTED: Your Top 5 Base Camp Tips or Hacks

TrailDog

FNG
Cheap rug from the thrift store for wall tent floor.

Crocs for camp shoes in and out of the wall tent

Melatonin for sleeping well with all the snoring.

Pre-make as many meals as you can...burritos, sandwiches, goulash, rice, etc.

Bring tools...shovel, axe, Silky saw, lots of P-cord. Super handy to string p-cord between tent frame rafters to hang socks & gloves to dry over the stove.

NB7

WKR
1- Assign camp chores and duties ahead of time so things run efficient.
2- For the love of God bring what you need to dig and maintain a proper latrine. Especially with that many guys. Nothing worse than finding that the last group to use the same camp area just walked out in different routes from camp and shit wherever they pleased and left their mess above ground. When we go we bring a digging bar, shovel, and a home-made commode. When we're packing up the latrine is back filled over and you would never know we were there.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
You guys coffee drinkers? When it’s cold and dark early in the morning I want my coffee NOW. We used to perc now we take a small quiet 2 stroken genny and use a regular coffee pot. Shoes for in the tent/living area like outdoor slippers.

I hate waiting on percolator coffee. And I also despise cleaning the percolator. I’ve started boiled water in the percolator and making instant coffee. It’s really the ultimate in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f16woody

FNG
We have a group of 6 or 7 guys from PA in the process of planning a Colorado 2nd or 3rd rifle season hunt, and I'm hoping to glean as much information from this forum as I can before we make the trip. We've already found a good deal on a 16x20 Davis Tent on Craigslist, complete with the rain fly/awning, wood stove and three cots. We're also planning on having a 10x20 enclosed canopy for cooking or gear storage. We have a good amount of camping and hunting experience, but this will be our first DIY base camp style hunt, and the first western hunt for many of us.

I'm looking for everyone's top tips on base camp living, whether it be food, sleep systems, wall tent essentials, etc. Basically looking for any suggestions to improve our efficiency and enhance our experience for a late fall hunt in Colorado. Thanks for the help and good luck this season!
Keep your “Base Camp” mobile! Be able to tear down and move in a couple of hours max so you are hunting where the animals are. Learned this after 10+ years of hunting the same base camp. Have killed 3x more elk by being mobile vice anchored in one camp.