Want to hunt and camp in Alaska.

Caliber is probably the least important aspect of this trip. With an AR I wouldn't need the weight of a handgun and ammo either. A 308 bolt gun is an option, but trying to think as efficient as possible. Some areas are shotgun only, so that is a possibility. Also will probably take a bow to keep my options open. Bow and AR is light and covers anything. I don't want to pack a bunch of guns.

Meat care was something I'd hoped to get some advice on. My plan was to quarter a carcass, and take the straps, then process the quarters at camp. I could use some pointers on preserving the meat at this point away from predators. Not sure about carcass disposal after harvest either. Can it just become scraps for other animals at the place of expiration? Do they and all scraps have to be buried?

I'm thinking of late fall or early winter camping during the different game seasons and a rare motel stay etc if necessary. In the future if I buy a few acres to stay at and store stuff, I can stay at a more established camp, process carcasses in a makeshift shed much easier, store more things, etc. Still curious about carcass disposal. And how miners and old school hunters would have done things in camp.

I've been interested in moving there but would like to explore and find out where is best for me before buying, and this is the most fun and purposeful way I can think of.

I drive an older model Land cruiser. It's capable for a passenger suv. But I understand less than a buggy in some places isn't going anywhere. I'm trying to have realistic expectations, and learn as much as I can before I go.

No worries about carcass disposal, but depending on what and where you’re killing you may or may not need to bring everything out on the bone, including the ribs. Regarding late fall/early winter, are you talking about Dec./Jan.? If that is the case and your talking about northern AK., than you need to take weather into account, because you could be dealing with -40 to -50 temps. which may not be the average, but definitely not uncommon. I don’t know if you’ve ever camped/hunted in those types of conditions before, I have not, so I can only speculate as to how difficult it could be.
What do you mean when you say “some areas are shotgun only”? Hunting up here is not cheap or easy, especially if you’re a non-resident. Residents occasionally kill moose, etc., in their “backyard”, which can be cheap and easy, but that’s not the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caliber is probably the least important aspect of this trip. With an AR I wouldn't need the weight of a handgun and ammo either. A 308 bolt gun is an option, but trying to think as efficient as possible. Some areas are shotgun only, so that is a possibility. Also will probably take a bow to keep my options open. Bow and AR is light and covers anything. I don't want to pack a bunch of guns.

Meat care was something I'd hoped to get some advice on. My plan was to quarter a carcass, and take the straps, then process the quarters at camp. I could use some pointers on preserving the meat at this point away from predators. Not sure about carcass disposal after harvest either. Can it just become scraps for other animals at the place of expiration? Do they and all scraps have to be buried?

I'm thinking of late fall or early winter camping during the different game seasons and a rare motel stay etc if necessary. In the future if I buy a few acres to stay at and store stuff, I can stay at a more established camp, process carcasses in a makeshift shed much easier, store more things, etc. Still curious about carcass disposal. And how miners and old school hunters would have done things in camp.

I've been interested in moving there but would like to explore and find out where is best for me before buying, and this is the most fun and purposeful way I can think of.

I drive an older model Land cruiser. It's capable for a passenger suv. But I understand less than a buggy in some places isn't going anywhere. I'm trying to have realistic expectations, and learn as much as I can before I go.
Trade in your Cruiser for an old school bus! You can also sleep in it and process all your wild game you will harvest with your AR!

I recommend adding a wood stove to it for warmth at night, maybe some insulation. Public land you can park anywhere, old timers just squatted til they filed a land claim, no one will bother you up there.

sure to keep a journal in your bus of what’s happening, especially if you get stuck or run out of food.

If you run into a bear be sure to leave your video camera running while you interact with it, maybe bring your girlfriend?

you will be an old Sourdough before you know it!

AKDoc

WKR
I'm choosing to believe that this is a well-played joke, and I mean no disrespect whatsoever.

If this is serious, then I am truly concerned with the starting baseline of the original post...and my sincere suggestion to the OP is to get off the internet, come up for a vacation in the summer, for sure go back home long before winter, and then think about it some more with better informed judgement.

Moving to Alaska is one of the top five decisions that I have made in my life, but....(and I'm done here and truly wish you the very best in life).

Last edited:
OP
I

iHunt20

FNG
I guess even Alaska has their city people/Anchorage lol. Are people from the city allowed to use the term "sourdough?"

Not from FL.

I find myself mostly addressing ad hominems with no substance. I think it might be more appropriate for some of you to say "I have no idea/have never done any of that"

OP
I

iHunt20

FNG
No worries about carcass disposal, but depending on what and where you’re killing you may or may not need to bring everything out on the bone, including the ribs. Regarding late fall/early winter, are you talking about Dec./Jan.? If that is the case and your talking about northern AK., than you need to take weather into account, because you could be dealing with -40 to -50 temps. which may not be the average, but definitely not uncommon. I don’t know if you’ve ever camped/hunted in those types of conditions before, I have not, so I can only speculate as to how difficult it could be.
What do you mean when you say “some areas are shotgun only”? Hunting up here is not cheap or easy, especially if you’re a non-resident. Residents occasionally kill moose, etc., in their “backyard”, which can be cheap and easy, but that’s not the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the helpful post. Some of the DNR maps and management descriptions list a few shotgun only areas. They're close to Anchorage if I remember.

I think the bigger-game seasons are mostly September-November. I've hunted and camped in Northern WI which is similar in some ways. I don't know if December through the spring has much for hunting seasons, and I'm sure that's a step up in winter intensity, so that's probably when I'd take a break.

I'm getting familiar with the regulations and unit maps, but the very general DNR info isn't much help. The biggest help would be making friends with people who know the areas and how best to do things.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
At least the OP is doing research and wants to follow the law, makes him a better person than the supertramp.

That said, the AR-15 makes this sound like a joke. That and solo packing a moose.

If you want to move to AK, be an adult, get a job and move.

You asked for advice and you have gotten some from people with lots of time in the Alaska backcountry, if you lack the skin thick enough to take that in stride you probably also lack the grit needed to survive in the bush.

You have also made it pretty clear that you only want confirmation and other input is not welcome. Generally that is a sold sign of poor insight and an inability to calibrate ones self to reality. Unlike people, nature, especially in a place like Alaska, does not make accomodations.

As it has already been demonstrated that the OP will not listen, I will refrain from sharing more information.

Fatcamp

WKR
I'm choosing to believe that this is a well-played joke, and I mean no disrespect whatsoever.

If this is serious, then I am truly concerned with the starting baseline of the original post...and my sincere suggestion to the OP is to get off the internet, come up for a vacation in the summer, for sure go back home long before winter, and then think about it some more with better informed judgement.

Moving to Alaska is one of the top five decisions that I have made in my life, but....(and I'm done here and truly wish you the very best in life).

This is probably the best advice you will get.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Boomer. This is a new insult correct?

It is used as one. Much like the baby boomers like to disparage all millennials, so millennials have taken to returning the slight. It comes from a lazy way of thinking in both cases and like most such laziness there is just enough truth buried in the bull shit that people can dig their heels in and fight about it.

OP
I

iHunt20

FNG
Hmmm.

Learn something new.
I thought it was like "Jack", just different regionally. Kinda seemed like Boomhauer.
Yeah I thought we were having fun. Serious or helpful responses get a thank you. Jokes get jokes. No hard feelings

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just to be clear…

You plan to come up to AK, buy a parcel of land to camp on and hunt with an AR15. With no electricity or permanent structure and you plan to do all your meat processing out there at your camp.

Am I understanding you correctly?

OP
I

iHunt20

FNG
At least the OP is doing research and wants to follow the law, makes him a better person than the supertramp.

That said, the AR-15 makes this sound like a joke. That and solo packing a moose.

If you want to move to AK, be an adult, get a job and move.

You asked for advice and you have gotten some from people with lots of time in the Alaska backcountry, if you lack the skin thick enough to take that in stride you probably also lack the grit needed to survive in the bush.

You have also made it pretty clear that you only want confirmation and other input is not welcome. Generally that is a sold sign of poor insight and an inability to calibrate ones self to reality. Unlike people, nature, especially in a place like Alaska, does not make accomodations.

As it has already been demonstrated that the OP will not listen, I will refrain from sharing more information.
Joke responses aren't going to be taken seriously by somebody asking serious questions. I think anybody who can carry a conversation understands that. I've thanked those who give helpful responses. Open to hearing anything objectively. So long as it's constructive. But I've learned some ppl love to have a Boogeyman or something to criticize, and that's ok too.
Just to be clear…

You plan to come up to AK, buy a parcel of land to camp on and hunt with an AR15. With no electricity or permanent structure and you plan to do all your meat processing out there at your camp.

Am I understanding you correctly?
The parcel of land probably won't be big enough to hunt, so looking into public lands to hunt on. Electricity, permanent structure, and hunting/processing larger animals are part of a long term plan.

To explore the area and see where exactly I'd like to be, hunting and camping during the warmer/fall months will help me sort it out.

If any part of my plans are dumb, I need to hear it. But tell me why, and what a better choice is. Obviously lesser responses don't really do so.

Would really like to get to know like-minded people in the area to lend a hand how I can, and get info on good spots, processing, life up there, etc

jhm2023

WKR
Geeez, I can't believe I've read this entire thread. All I got out of it besides some halrity at times, is that the OP is not really open to ideas and criticism nor does the OP strike me as the kind of person I'm willing to give experience based advice to. I do expect I'll read more about this in the Trooper dispatch at some point though. Good luck in your adventures!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk