Walk-in Dall Sheep List

OP
carsonkeys
I'm using the Fire Maple pot with BRS stove. It's efficient, compact and light. With Jetboil cozy, lid, BRS stove and mini bic, it weighs 7.4 oz. There’s another quarter pound weight savings over your jetboil.

View attachment 722738View attachment 722739
What modifications did you have to do to get this to work? The BRS looks stock, but the pot is obviously modified.

OP
carsonkeys
I've made quite a few changes and I'm currently sitting at 38 lbs base weight. https://lighterpack.com/r/7iy5re

Pretty happy with where I'm at right now, however, I'm still open to more suggestions so please feel free to provide more input.

Biggest changes were:
-Kifaru Slick to EE Quilt ~30 oz savings
-Ditching the SG tarp ~20 oz savings
-Modifying my kill kit ~~20 oz savings
-Leaving the SG Cirque Lite at home for the Peleton 118 (weather dependent) ~6 oz savings

I could leave my suppressor at home for another pound of savings, or buy a new one and realistically get it before August with the wait times we're seeing, but I enjoy being married.

JohnB

WKR
That looks like it makes a lot of sense Carson. The only easy thing that jumps out at me is to ditch the Nalgenes for a Gatorade or Smartwater bottle and you could have a quarter pound for a few bucks.

IBen

WKR
I've made quite a few changes and I'm currently sitting at 38 lbs base weight. https://lighterpack.com/r/7iy5re

Pretty happy with where I'm at right now, however, I'm still open to more suggestions so please feel free to provide more input.

Biggest changes were:
-Leaving the SG Cirque Lite at home for the Peleton 118 (weather dependent) ~6 oz savings

I could leave my suppressor at home for another pound of savings, or buy a new one and realistically get it before August with the wait times we're seeing, but I enjoy being married.
Id leave one of those battery banks behind probably the larger one. Your phone on airplane mode will last a long time. Turn off when not using. 18 ounces is a lot. Unless your filming and need camera batteries charged

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Get one of the opaque white HDPE Nalgene's and it will cut at least 1.5 ounces for very cheap and no functional change (mine is 3.75 ounces). Or, if you can live with the small opening, take a Gatorade/Poweraid bottle (1.45 ounces).

Ditch the Jet boil for a Soto Windmaster with triflex and Toaks pot (650 ml pot with bag and lid is 3 ounces, Windmaster is 2.3 ounces; so cut 7 ounces). You can cut more and save money if you get one of the BRS stoves off Amazon, I have not used them however, but people I trust on hear say they are good.

Personally, I would leave the torniquet. I triangular bandage can serve a lot more purposes.

If you can survive using minimum power, you could save weight on the power bank; but that is an iffy proposition if you don't have experience with a tight power budget.

OP
carsonkeys
Id leave one of those battery banks behind probably the larger one. Your phone on airplane mode will last a long time. Turn off when not using. 18 ounces is a lot. Unless your filming and need camera batteries charged
I think I could probably get away with the smaller one, however, I’d like to record as much footage as I need to scrutinize legality, and not rely on a look I think I saw (or didn’t see) in my head without having to worry about battery.

Might be something a more seasoned guy doesn’t need, and I’ll be there one day, but not today.

OP
carsonkeys
Get one of the opaque white HDPE Nalgene's and it will cut at least 1.5 ounces for very cheap and no functional change (mine is 3.75 ounces). Or, if you can live with the small opening, take a Gatorade/Poweraid bottle (1.45 ounces).

Ditch the Jet boil for a Soto Windmaster with triflex and Toaks pot (650 ml pot with bag and lid is 3 ounces, Windmaster is 2.3 ounces; so cut 7 ounces). You can cut more and save money if you get one of the BRS stoves off Amazon, I have not used them however, but people I trust on hear say they are good.

Personally, I would leave the torniquet. I triangular bandage can serve a lot more purposes.

If you can survive using minimum power, you could save weight on the power bank; but that is an iffy proposition if you don't have experience with a tight power budget.
I’ll definitely buy the UL Nalgene or smart water bottles! Thanks for that.

My stove system is something I’m still looking into. I have a BRS and a pot, however I knocked it over one too many times and have swore it off since. I may reconsider though.

You’re probably right, but I want to be able to record as much footage as I need through my spotter (for verifying legality) without worrying about juice. A more seasoned guy could probably get away with the smaller one!

akbrett

FNG
i’d recommend filling that internal sleeve where your going to put the meat, with clothes or whatever your want. then loading everything on your list. just to do a test run, that meat sleeve chews up alot of internal volume when full.

might have to come up with a way to secure some gear to the exterior of the pack in the fortunate event you punch your tag. maybe a spare dry bag or 2, or have to double carry everything which

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
Pulled your link at July 14th, 2024 at 10pm AKST.

-Looks like you have two pants there (206s and DeHavilland). Pick one. DeHavilland lite is my go to for sheep.
-Consider losing the tarp. You might regret it but it'll make a good story.
-I like you're taking a CAT TQ. Critical lifesaving piece of equipment!
-If you chose to remove the suppressor, you could save some serious weight. I get it though, and I'm personally going to take my 8oz suppressor on my hunt despite the weight.
-Take a look at smaller stoves and Ti cup systems compared to a JetBoil (or similar). BRS, MSR PRD, Soto, etc along with a Toaks or Snow Peak are basic but work.

I'm excited for you! My first sheep hunt I packed alot of fears but most importantly it got me out there and I learned, evovled, and continue to learn. It's all part of the process. Enjoy it out there!

OP
carsonkeys
Pulled your link at July 14th, 2024 at 10pm AKST.

-Looks like you have two pants there (206s and DeHavilland). Pick one. DeHavilland lite is my go to for sheep.
-Consider losing the tarp. You might regret it but it'll make a good story.
-I like you're taking a CAT TQ. Critical lifesaving piece of equipment!
-If you chose to remove the suppressor, you could save some serious weight. I get it though, and I'm personally going to take my 8oz suppressor on my hunt despite the weight.
-Take a look at smaller stoves and Ti cup systems compared to a JetBoil (or similar). BRS, MSR PRD, Soto, etc along with a Toaks or Snow Peak are basic but work.

I'm excited for you! My first sheep hunt I packed alot of fears but most importantly it got me out there and I learned, evovled, and continue to learn. It's all part of the process. Enjoy it out there!
-I'm still torn on pants. I bought the 206 pants and don't like how they fit, so i'll be exchanging for the DeHavi Lites. But yes, i'll only be bringing one!

-Haha! Still waffling on this.

-I was a medic in the Army and just can't leave it at home.

-I see a Scythe in my future for next year.

-Still waffling here. My concern with the pots is that I'll have to carry more fuel to make up for the inefficiencies of the pot - therefore negating my initial intent of dropping weight to begin with. What're your thoughts here?

Thanks so much man. I'm going to screw it up (probably a lot), but have a badass experience only a few get to have...and I get to do it every year. Looking forward to the process probably the most. Good luck on your sheep hunt amigo!

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
-I'm still torn on pants. I bought the 206 pants and don't like how they fit, so i'll be exchanging for the DeHavi Lites. But yes, i'll only be bringing one!

-Still waffling here. My concern with the pots is that I'll have to carry more fuel to make up for the inefficiencies of the pot - therefore negating my initial intent of dropping weight to begin with. What're your thoughts here?

Thanks so much man. I'm going to screw it up (probably a lot), but have a badass experience only a few get to have...and I get to do it every year. Looking forward to the process probably the most. Good luck on your sheep hunt amigo!
Right on @carsonkeys !

-The effeciency of a canister type stove compared to the weight saving of a small stove and ti pot are to be debated. The modified jetboil cup with heat exchanger and the lightest stove on the market is a hard combo to argue with.

-Wear the pants that fit you!

I live in Eagle River. Happy to grab a beer sometime before we all hit the mountains. Cheers!

TOLeary

WKR

Here’s a good video on heat exchanger efficiency. At the 35:50 mark he goes over weight to burn efficiency. The jetboil stash was the lightest hx system. I think he said it would take 92 boils to make it worth the weight difference from the BRS/550 pot combo. I haven’t used the brs but seems like a lot of people used them reliably, just not in wind

sr80

WKR

Biggest changes were:

On your gear list, you have the peloton 118 listed as a fleece midlayer weighing in at 11oz. Must be a typo because the peloton 118 is a thin base layer top listed as 6.4 oz on the kuiu website. Is it supposed to be the peloton 200 hoody perhaps?

OP
carsonkeys
On your gear list, you have the peloton 118 listed as a fleece midlayer weighing in at 11oz. Must be a typo because the peloton 118 is a thin base layer top listed as 6.4 oz on the kuiu website. Is it supposed to be the peloton 200 hoody perhaps?
Good catch. It is indeed the 200.

chucko

FNG
I am sure no one has said this get in the best shape possible carry more live better if you have body weight to shed start there first . Everyone has a weight tolerance that is different ,Load your pack with your kit and your rifle and go on training hikes -tweak as needed- some guys go in with 70lb packs others with 40 -gear tweaking is fine and fun but so is physical preparation

CBar

FNG
Don't see bear spray on your list...?
I'd recommend an ultra-sil dry-bag to store those puffy pants and jacket.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
These guys have hiked in and killed a sheep or two:
Might be worth reaching out.