Wait or jump?

It seems the preferred method for getting a shot on a bedded buck is to wait for them to stand on their own choice. Why is that?

It seems as though waiting increases the risk of a wind shift or another hunter etc. spooking the buck out without giving you a chance for a shot.

On the other hand, controlling the situation by snapping a branch, using a cow elk call, or something else to get a buck on his feet does not seem very popular. Do bucks usually bolt out when you do that too?

Your thoughts....?

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
seems in my experience the big bucks seem to bolt, only thing I've had work is if I can throw a rock past them and make a little thump they may get up to check it out, looking away from you, other wise they seem to be startled by something being that close to them and making noise. If I can wait and they dont have any idea anything is around, they are relaxed and less likely to jump the string, or start feeding and give me a better shot angle if needed. The wind is always a gamble but in the afternoon its likely comming up the slope and the most steady at that point and the deer have been bedded for a while usually by then so it won't be as long before they stand up for a snack or just to stretch. thats my thoughts anyway.

Throwing stuff, whistling, yelling, all that stuff I've seen blow bucks right out of their bed. Only thing I've seen that consistently gets them up and not spooked is a grunt tube...

As far as bedded shots, depends... rifle I'll take it for sure. Bow I'll take it if I'm elevated above them, if not I'd try and wait for them to stand.

Mike

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Unless you can smoke them in their beds with 100% confidence, best odds are to wait to stand. That is hard as it can be hours and hours. I have a feelilng that is one of the things Ulmer has mastered: the wait...

shanevg

WKR
Just keep in mind on bedded shots with a bow - their kill zone is much smaller. I took a 50 yard bedded shot at the biggest black tail I've ever had a shot at last year. He was bedded down in the frost and I stuck my arrow in the frost literally millimeters from where his body had melted the frost in the bed. It's a lot smaller target at that distance, that's for sure!

In hindsight I sure wish I would have waited for him to stand up!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
shanevg,
I agree and really think that is part of why I missed that first Colorado Muzz buck on that hunt. Wish I would've waited for him to stand.

2rocky

WKR
I'm glad I waited for my first bow buck to stand. He fed within 25 yards.

Snuck up on a bedded Tule elk at 30 yards in 2010. He went from dead asleep to standing on the other side of a brushy creek in one move. Amazing athleticism!

I would love to stick a buck in his bed someday though.

Bedded-Buck-1.jpg

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Waiting for them to stand is my preference. IMO the key is to place yourself in the right position to make the shot when they stand.

2rocky

WKR
just a pic from Google search....But I'd love to be on the rimrock behind him at full draw!

Wait. Let them stand on their own. Mule deer bucks are wise. They will most often bolt at any noise. Grunt tube can work sometimes.

bowuntr

WKR
Wait.... You lose control when you try and get them to get up.... I've only shot one buck in his bed and he only went 20 yards.... everything has to be perfect. Ed F

WAIT

If they stand on their own to feed or stretch they are relaxed and "in-control". It does add to the possibility that wind could shift on you but as was said above your vitals open up and you are given a bigger target and a still one. Wait him out....it'll be well worth it!!

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Waiting is the best way. I have ruined more great stalks by trying to get them to stand than waiting them out. It can be a long wait at times but well worth it in the end!