WA High Hunt Advice

Planning a hunt during the Washington High Buck Hunt and looking for some advice. I know it’ll be hard and high, I know deer can be scarce. Looking for gear advice and even location advice (pm me and I’ll share where I’m planning to go) if anyone is willing.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
WA wilderness trails can be REALLY popular during that time of year, all the nature lovers can ruin a trip quick. Cross reference trailheads on nature/hiking pages or forums, and also FS website to get intel on the trail be it popularity, maintenance, burn or deadfall danger, hike/horse/atv use, etc.

For gear be prepared for weather, lightweight puffy jacket or at least vest, gloves, beanie, waterproof or resistant shell or rain gear. Don't be like me and forget your puffy and freeze your kahones off the entire hunt while stationary glassing, the wind gets wicked up high. Pack food in dry bags and I suggest a 500' roll of paracord to hang food bags, game bags, guy out a tent, etc. In some places it's not bears you gotta worry about, it's them damn timber tigers..

I'll PM you about further details.

Bachto

WKR
When I hunted it last I found most of the deer away from the popular trails. Usually about a half mile at least. It’s a real fun hunt but definitely a hard one, like was mentioned be prepared for 70 degrees to snow. Get good glass as well, you will be spending a lot of time behind them.

OP
CPawlowski
My plan is to get away from people if possible. Im also trying to put together a plan A, B and C but you know how that goes.

Guessing - but def bombproof water proof gear - and prob a way to dry out at the end of each day. Washington is generally damp / wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MHWASH

WKR
My advise, and most people do this anyhow, but get there at the start of the season. I couldn't get to my spot until mid season and the deer were scarce. On the way in I ran into several people that saw deer at the start of the season, then they got scarce.

OP
CPawlowski
My advise, and most people do this anyhow, but get there at the start of the season. I couldn't get to my spot until mid season and the deer were scarce. On the way in I ran into several people that saw deer at the start of the season, then they got scarce.
My plan involves being there on the 14th so we can get in, get set up, do some glassing and then hit it hard on the morning of the 15th.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
As far as weather, prepare for everything from 80 degrees to below freezing with snow. It can get nasty quick and stay that way up high, even in September. I would have a shelter with a stove so you can dry out and/or stay warm. It’s a lot of fun with beautiful views, but you have to be prepared up there.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
This hunt used to be so dang awesome. Such a bummer on what it has turned into.

Last time I hunted it there were 74 rigs at the TH. Lots of hikers but still, this was never a popular trail. I was absolutely blown away.

Floorless with a stove is the way to go, especially if you are up there for a long time.

Bachto

WKR
Guessing - but def bombproof water proof gear - and prob a way to dry out at the end of each day. Washington is generally damp / wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lol you’re not from Washington, the only place that gets a lot of rain is the I5 corridor. 3 of the 5 wilderness areas that are in this hunt are on the east side which gets considerably less rain.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
lol you’re not from Washington, the only place that gets a lot of rain is the I5 corridor. 3 of the 5 wilderness areas that are in this hunt are on the east side which gets considerably less rain.

While that is generally a true statement, @Justin Crossley and I have sat in the tents in the Glacier Peak Wilderness for 5 straight days as it never stopped downpouring. The Cascades have their own way of making weather, haha.

Bachto

WKR
While that is generally a true statement, @Justin Crossley and I have sat in the tents in the Glacier Peak Wilderness for 5 straight days as it never stopped downpouring. The Cascades have their own way of making weather, haha.
Lol you are right. Maybe I am just being a salty eastsider who is tired of everyone asking about the rain :ROFLMAO:

OP
CPawlowski
Lol you are right. Maybe I am just being a salty eastsider who is tired of everyone asking about the rain :ROFLMAO:
I completely agree - the most prevalent question I get asked when I tell people that I live in Spokane (after correcting their pronunciation) is how do I deal with all the rain. 🙄

OP
CPawlowski
This hunt used to be so dang awesome. Such a bummer on what it has turned into.

Last time I hunted it there were 74 rigs at the TH. Lots of hikers but still, this was never a popular trail. I was absolutely blown away.

Floorless with a stove is the way to go, especially if you are up there for a long time.
I’m angling my wife for the new Seek Outside Guardian tent/stove bundle for a combination anniversary and birthday gift. 🤞🏻

A few thoughts. Gear wise it is hard to say without a budget. And it is like two separate climates in the same wilderness. I climbed to a peak during the hunt one year. It was socked in and you couldn't see anything. At the top I got above the clouds/fog and about 3/4 of a mile away to the east it was clear and sunny. As far as I could see to the west it was socked in.

I believe you will have less non visibility days the further east you go.

Some of the biggest bucks I ever saw scouting were fairly close to main trails.

If you hunt the western most side of the areas you will probably have way less competition since you will be targeting blacktails.

There are a lot of bears up high. It's easy to turn the deer hunt into a bear hunt.

Spend time scouting and testing gear in the summer.

I scouted/hunted most of the areas besides the peninsula. I saw bear, deer, elk, moose, wolverine, coyotes, etc. I found a giant buck or two while scouting. In the end though I never killed a buck on the high hunt. There were always opportunity to kill. I just never could get an opportunity at the best I found that year.

Good luck and put time in during the summer.

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
It used to be great. The PNWild guys really made it popular and I can't help but resent them for it, the videos are good but man what a zoo it has become, especially in the last 5 years. People need to make videos and keep their mouths shut.
I've done this hunt in a rei dome tent and eventually upgraded to tipi with a stove, that makes it much more enjoyable. Make sure it is well secured, I've had wind that bent the tipi pole like a fishing rod.
- Don't take this hunt too seriously and you will have more fun and be less disappointed.
-Take good rain gear, and a down coat, it usually snows and always rains and thunderstorms are likely.
- Expect assholes if it was less than a 8/10 suck level to get to your "spot. " I'm not saying everyone is an asshole. But there sure has been an uptick in people seem to think you're trespassing on their land.
- Stay mobile to get away from said assholes and keep moving if you're not seeing any fresh sign.
- I like to hike in a couple days early, the hoardes show up on the 14th, most leave by the 20th or earlier if the weather is bad. This year it was sunny and people were everywhere.

OP
CPawlowski
It used to be great. The PNWild guys really made it popular and I can't help but resent them for it, the videos are good but man what a zoo it has become, especially in the last 5 years. People need to make videos and keep their mouths shut.
I've done this hunt in a rei dome tent and eventually upgraded to tipi with a stove, that makes it much more enjoyable. Make sure it is well secured, I've had wind that bent the tipi pole like a fishing rod.
- Don't take this hunt too seriously and you will have more fun and be less disappointed.
-Take good rain gear, and a down coat, it usually snows and always rains and thunderstorms are likely.
- Expect assholes if it was less than a 8/10 suck level to get to your "spot. " I'm not saying everyone is an asshole. But there sure has been an uptick in people seem to think you're trespassing on their land.
- Stay mobile to get away from said assholes and keep moving if you're not seeing any fresh sign.
- I like to hike in a couple days early, the hoardes show up on the 14th, most leave by the 20th or earlier if the weather is bad. This year it was sunny and people were everywhere.
Thanks for the advice. I may need to work on some aspects of my plan.