Vx5 3x15, vx6 3-18, or ??? For lightweight/long range rig. Opinions wanted.

Deucebump

WKR
Hey guys, im closing in on finishing up a long range lightweight backpacking build in 300wsm. Im really stuck on what scope I want, and feel like im missing some options but dont know what. Ive been a leupold guy for 25 yrs, but Im open to suggestions. Im currently stuck between the VX5 3-15x44 and the vx6 3-18x44. My criteria is this, I want to stay close to the 20 oz mark, I dont want to go bigger than 44mm, and I want a locking turret (customizable) that I can get more than one full revolution out of. I have several other CDS set ups and love them, all are VX3s and can only get to around 700 with the custom dial due one revolution.

I would really like a little more than the 15x of the VX5 for shooting targets out to 1k, but pretty big jump in price to get to the 18x of the VX6 and its heavier due to the firedot which I dont really care about or need.

What else is out there that I am missing, would love to hear your opinions/suggestions.

Elite

WKR
I just ordered a Leica amplus 6 3x18-44. It’s a little bit heavier at 23 oz but it looks to be extremely well made. I PERSONALLY have not had any luck with lightweight rifle scopes and dialling. That contains the Leupold VX series and the swaro Z5. Both had great glass but I didn’t trust the scope to dial accurately. Again just my personal experience. I decided to bite the bullet and get a heavier scope designed to dial with metal internal components. We will see how the Leica does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
Thats exactly the type of info I was looking for. Im looking at the scope Leica, do you know if it has a locking dial with zero stop? I do see they make custom turrets for it. It is definitely the type Im looking for. (I dont love the weight, or reticle. But its a player.) Thanks!

Elite

WKR
Thats exactly the type of info I was looking for. Im looking at the scope Leica, do you know if it has a locking dial with zero stop? I do see they make custom turrets for it. It is definitely the type Im looking for. (I dont love the weight, or reticle. But its a player.) Thanks!

It does have a zero stop on the elevation but not locking. The turret is stiff to turn in a good way though. I don’t see if spinning on itself during a hunt especially using a scope
Cover

Canny

FNG
I was in the similar boat and almost pulled the trigger on the Leica Amplus. Instead I switched gears and bought a Tracto Torric UHD 2.5-15x44. Glass clarity has been great and tracking has been spot on. After mounting the first shots were 6” left and 3” low at 100. Dialed 6 min up and 3 min right and next 3 were dead nuts. I’ve ran a couple box tests and it’s always tracked exactly where it should be.

I have a vx6 4-24 on my 300 ultra mag. It has great glass. I wouldn’t hesitate to get the 3-18. The vx5 are great too but I think the extra power is valuable. Also I used a buddies gun that had a firedot reticle and it was really nice. I never thought the firedot was a big deal before I used one but it is definitely nice especially in low light.

Kevin

Elite

WKR
Europtic has a super deal on Trijicon HX Ten mile scopes. That is the direction I would go.

That’s the route I would’ve gone but can’t find them in Canada

I bought two Leupold VX6 3-18 scopes on Black Friday from Cabelas. The first one I mounted came apart inside at round 18 on my 300 PRC. I returned them both. I have 3 VX5 scopes and then have been good for what its worth.

ManBun

FNG
Another good option for the money in my opinion would be the Ziess V4 4-16x44. Have had mine for about 3 years and have beat the crap out of it. Always holds zero, dials perfectly every time and glass is good.

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
Thanks guys, Ill look up some of the suggestions, as Im not real familiar with a couple of them.

Nick992

Lil-Rokslider
I chose the V5 because of exactly what you said extra money and weight for red dot batteries.

How likely are you to be in a position where you can't take an animal because you needed higher than 15x? Based off your answer above, is the extra money and weight worth it?

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
I chose the V5 because of exactly what you said extra money and weight for red dot batteries.

How likely are you to be in a position where you can't take an animal because you needed higher than 15x? Based off your answer above, is the extra money and weight worth it?
Ha, thats the question I keep asking myself and still can not answer!

michaema2

FNG
I have two of the VX5 3-15 and two of the VX6 3-18. You are right, I do like the extra power for shooting long range targets, that's what I use the VX6's for. In a hunting situation you'll probably never be cranked up that high anyway (or shouldn't be to have a reasonable field of view for follow up shots). Your right on with wanting the zero lock/stop features. Those are super nice. If you want to stay at 20 oz, those two scopes are tough to beat. If you are primarily a long range target shooter, I'd pay the extra money for the VX6, if your mainly a backcountry hunter, put the money you'd save with a VX5 into lightweight gear.