• I shoot both

Votes: 28 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pawlyb

FNG
I'm not seeing what the big deal is here. MIL and MOA are both angular measurements. Their conversion to inches at a certain distance are just that - conversions. If you can adjust your shot being off by x mils or y moa you can also do the conversion to inches, adjust by inches and then reconvert to x mils / y moa.

Why is this being presented like MOA is any more tied to a linear holdover than MIL?

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not seeing what the big deal is here. MIL and MOA are both angular measurements. Their conversion to inches at a certain distance are just that - conversions. If you can adjust your shot being off by x mils or y moa you can also do the conversion to inches, adjust by inches and then reconvert to x mils / y moa.

Why is this being presented like MOA is any more tied to a linear holdover than MIL?
If I understand your question correctly, I believe the answer is that one moa basically equals 1" per 100 yards, while one mil basically equals 3.6" per 100 yards. In that case, it's easier for most people to "think" or convert to and from moa.

If using a reticle to see your needed correction, I don't think it makes the slightest difference what system you're using.

My statements above are not intended to say one is better than the other. I personally think it can depend on an individual's skills, knowledge, and intended use as to which system is best suited. In a lot of cases, I don't think it matters at all.

WKR
Is it a fair assumption that most people who choose MOA are strictly hunters.......
Probably
....... and most who choose MIL compete in precision rifle comps at some level and/or were trained in the military?
I suppose it depends on what you mean by precision rifle. I believe high power/service rifle competitors think in minutes? At least anytime I've read about the subject, the author was speaking in minutes. At 600 yards, the X is 6" and the 10 ring is 12". A shooter who can hold 2 MOA at 600 yards with open sights while looped up prone is impressive.

When I was trained in the military it was MOA. But that was waaay back when (M21 with an ARTII).
I ask this because I personally feel the choice makes much less of a difference for someone who strictly hunts.
I personally feel you are correct, especially for those of us whose shots are usually 300 yards or less. But in fairness to those who voice a strong opinion about MILS and wind holds, this question was asked on the Long Range Hunting Forum.

Last edited:
Moa for me. Much easier for me to convert something into inches vs trying to figure out what the measurement Is then convert that into a mil.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

khuber84

WKR
Mil, gun number quick wind math in my head. No brainer. Switched all my scopes out few years ago after learning the simplicity on a podcast.

1 MOA =
1" @ 100y
2" @ 200y
3" @ 300y
4" @ 400y
5" @ 500y
6" @ 600y

or

0.25 MOA =
1/4" @ 100y
1/2" @ 200y
3/4" @ 300y
1" @ 400y
1 1/4" @ 500
1 1/2" @ 600

or

1 MIL =
3.6" @ 100y
7.2" @ 200y
hang on, just gotta grab my calculator here, hold still mr. elk
10.8" @ 300y
14.4" @ 400y
18.0" @ 500y
21.6" @ 600y

or

0.1 MIL =
0.36" @ 100y
0.72" @ 200y
1" @ 300y
1.44" @ 400y
1.8" @ 500y
2.16" @ 600y

and that's assuming yards, lotta guys still use yards?, are all the MIL guys switching to meters on their rangefinders and discussing centimetres instead of inches to go full metric or still hybridizing between sae and metric?

Lets see how this looks in full metric...

1 MIL =
10 cm at 100m (3.94")
20 cm at 200m (7.88")
30 cm at 300m (11.82")
40 cm @ 400m (15.76")
And fack this...

I'm surprised Murica jumped on this mil thing as hard as it did, especially a nation hardwired in sae. It all works somewhere, the range a good place for any ole thing, we sure do love to take something already occam razor'd well and complicate the living shat out of it. What happens when the batteries go dead? No one cares? So many questions lol.

There's only one thing that will sound impressive in centimetres and maybe on the 3rd date but not on the range or while hunting. Saying the word centimetres should get you slapped. ;)

Gosh this thread is fun.

Last edited:
But in fairness to those who voice a strong opinion about MILS and wind holds, this question was asked on the Long Range Hunting Forum.
"But in fairness to those who voice a strong opinion about MILS and wind holds, this question was asked on the Long Range Hunting Forum."

Yes...not the Long Range PRS Forum.

Stir stir stir :)

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
1 MOA =
1" @ 100y
2" @ 200y
3" @ 300y
4" @ 400y
5" @ 500y
6" @ 600y

or

0.25 MOA =
1/4" @ 100y
1/2" @ 200y
3/4" @ 300y
1" @ 400y
1 1/4" @ 500
1 1/2" @ 600

or

1 MIL =
3.6" @ 100y
7.2" @ 200y
10.8" @ 300y
14.4" @ 400y
18.0" @ 500y
21.6" @ 600y

or

0.1 MIL =
0.36" @ 100y
0.72" @ 200y
1" @ 300y
1.44" @ 400y
1.8" @ 500y
2.16" @ 600y

and that's assuming yards, lotta guys still use yards?, are all the MIL guys switching to meters on their rangefinders and discussing centimetres instead of inches to go full metric or still hybridizing between sae and metric?

1 MIL =
10 cm at 100m (3.94")
20 cm at 200m (7.88")
30 cm at 300m (11.82")
40 cm @ 400m (15.76")
And fack this...

I'm surprised Murica jumped on this mil thing as hard as it did, especially a nation hardwired in sae. It all works somewhere, the range a good place for any ole thing, we sure do love to take something already occam razor'd well and complicate the living shat out of it. What happens when the batteries go dead? No one cares? So many questions lol.

There's only one thing that will sound impressive in centimetres and maybe on the 3rd date but not on the range or while hunting. Saying the word centimetres should get you slapped. ;)

Gosh this thread is fun.

Only ignorant, unskilled people talk in linear measurements and not angular in any of this.

I don’t give a flip how many inches 2.1 mils covers at 537 yards- I have a tape measure 3.5” in front of my eye.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
"But in fairness to those who voice a strong opinion about MILS and wind holds, this question was asked on the Long Range Hunting Forum."

Yes...not the Long Range PRS Forum.

Stir stir stir :)

Sweet. Since this is the Long Range hunting forum, please share what your long range hunting experience is?

z987k

WKR
1 MOA =
1" @ 100y
2" @ 200y
3" @ 300y
4" @ 400y
5" @ 500y
6" @ 600y

or

0.25 MOA =
1/4" @ 100y
1/2" @ 200y
3/4" @ 300y
1" @ 400y
1 1/4" @ 500
1 1/2" @ 600

or

1 MIL =
3.6" @ 100y
7.2" @ 200y
10.8" @ 300y
14.4" @ 400y
18.0" @ 500y
21.6" @ 600y

or

0.1 MIL =
0.36" @ 100y
0.72" @ 200y
1" @ 300y
1.44" @ 400y
1.8" @ 500y
2.16" @ 600y

1 MIL =
10 cm at 100m (3.94")
20 cm at 200m (7.88")
30 cm at 300m (11.82")
40 cm @ 400m (15.76")
And fack this...

Gosh this thread is fun.
The Canadian bashing metric. Love it.

The inches or cm at yd/m is only relevant if you're at the range and want to move the impact X boxes up or down. When you're looking at an elk 531y/m away, the only thing that matters is the clicks or the correct subtention on the reticle.
I've yet to walk up to a dead animal, look at the entrance hole, and go, damn, I was 1.5 inches off of that one hair I was aiming at, lets see, that's .1236 mils at this distance. Better correct for the next shot?

Ya, as long as the batteries don't go dead. And you can get people to turn off their brains a whole bunch. It all works.

I also forgot, what mph wind is your rigs? shouldn't that be kmh?

Don't get me wrong, I hybridize sae and metric but wish I didn't lol. But being Canuck spending life overlapping sae/metric and a first career out of high school with the old boys teaching... I'm as fluent as many and know too many conversions to back and forth by heart. I have no issue bashing metric lol. There was nothing wrong with inches/yards/miles and the moa that went with it. And yeah live angular, take your pic, make sure the batteries never die or you've got charts. But also nothing wrong with the original and can be just as effective, especially for the 'hunting' part of the long range hunting.

Looks like I'm with the majority on this one. ;) Which is rarely ever the case these days it seems.

What are y'all institutionalized in? Metric or sae? Maybe wisest for all shtf hunting situations that it's all set up to your hardwiring no?

I know it's cool to try and nip a good thing in the bud by getting after the speaker rather than the message but one may also add that in order to understand and become intimate with your bullets flight path over all distances one will also reference many things and tables back to known perspectives and hardwired institutions. The vote seems to be showing that is part of the overall case here. Angular or not. Not all of us are going to turn off the brain on enough of it to just do this or that.

z987k

WKR
Ya, as long as the batteries don't go dead. And you can get people to turn off their brains a whole bunch. It all works.

I also forgot, what mph wind is your rigs? shouldn't that be kmh?

Don't get me wrong, I hybridize sae and metric but wish I didn't lol. But being Canuck spending life overlapping sae/metric and a first career out of high school with the old boys teaching... I'm as fluent as many and know too many conversions to back and forth by heart. I have no issue bashing metric lol. There was nothing wrong with inches/yards/miles and the moa that went with it. And yeah live angular, take your pic, make sure the batteries never die or you've got charts. But also nothing wrong with the original and can be just as effective, especially for the 'hunting' part of the long range hunting.

Looks like I'm with the majority on this one. ;) Which is rarely ever the case these days it seems.

What are y'all institutionalized in? Metric or sae? Maybe wisest for all shtf hunting situations that it's all set up to your hardwiring no?
Growing up in the states, I'm hardwired in the customary units and if I'm just causally talking about distances or if we're building a deck it's miles, inches, gallons, etc.
But at work we are all over the place. So I know all the conversions. Something is given to me in gallons, but we use it in kilos(2 chances to screw that one up). Distances are in nautical miles, so even statute miles require conversion, except sometimes in meters. Temp in C, pressure in inHg and hPa, but not mb like the worldwide(to include the US meteorologists use), which are the exact same thing as hPa.

I was in Russia about 4 years ago and while there were some serious language barriers, I found it hilarious when they had some measurements in some 100+ year old Russian standard units that had to then be converted to metric and the google failed on that one. And then you'd be given something and they converted it to decameters. Which, sure, that's a measurement. That no one uses. Just put the 0 on there, it's fine, lol.
It was nice to see they had the same idiocy going on.
If you've got a really old moisin, there's a chance the open sights are in that measurement system.

Last edited:
Only ignorant, unskilled people talk in linear measurements and not angular in any of this.

I don’t give a flip how many inches 2.1 mils covers at 537 yards- I have a tape measure 3.5” in front of my eye.
didn't insult me although I think that was the aim, you may have insulted a bunch of other folks however though, ignorant unskilled people will view their trajectories only from one perspective and not look at their path in 3d to known hardwiring and institutions? no students left, just here, go mil/ffp and it's what's right for everyone eh? little narrow don't ya think?

Status
Not open for further replies.