Vortex vs Leupold Hunting Scope

Leupold for me the eybox is great, I do have a Vortex Razor Gen2 on a long range gun that is a nice scope but it is super heavy

Leupold for me between the two but leupold and zeiss are all I have on my larger caliber guns. I do have a vortex rim fire on a 22 just because it was on sale.

I realize this thread is a bit old but I'm about to purchase a new Leupold VX-5HD and I'm curious to know how many folks use or like the fire dot option? Sounds nice but as a western hunter that often doesn't have a lot of time to set up and prepare the shot, I'm not sure adding another step and pushing the illumination button is something I'd really ever do. Are there shooting/hunting scenarios where folks have seen this feature really make a difference? The cost difference is negligible but some of the models I'm looking at either only have it available in fire dot or only have it available in their standard duplex. Supply chain and inventory issues are real!

I realize this thread is a bit old but I'm about to purchase a new Leupold VX-5HD and I'm curious to know how many folks use or like the fire dot option? Sounds nice but as a western hunter that often doesn't have a lot of time to set up and prepare the shot, I'm not sure adding another step and pushing the illumination button is something I'd really ever do. Are there shooting/hunting scenarios where folks have seen this feature really make a difference? The cost difference is negligible but some of the models I'm looking at either only have it available in fire dot or only have it available in their standard duplex. Supply chain and inventory issues are real!
may wanna do a little research on state regs, some states don't allow illuminated reticles. This may have changed but i know guys used to just pull the battery out when hunting in said states

I have the Leupold VX 5HD in 3-14 x 44. Absolutely love it and also love the ability to relatively cheaply get custom dials for different rounds. I have found the dials to be accurate as long as you get a good average chronograph reading at the expected elevation / TPH.

Duckfever

FNG
reason enough for me:
Leupold - designed, machined, and assembled in the USA
Vortex PST 2 - manufactured in the Philippines

WJS23

WKR
Not all leupold stiff is made in America but they will still have that sticker in the box that says it

Yoder

WKR
One is made in America and the other is made by Chinese slaves but has an amazing warranty.

hydro4570

FNG
Leupold glass on several of my rifles, matter of fact purchased as 4.5x 14 yesterday. As others have stated most Vortex are heavy and most Leupold are USA built.

ManBun

FNG
I wouldn’t choose either Leupold or Vortex, I like my rifle scopes to hold zero and work every time. But if I had to pick one between the 2, go with Leupold.

Rpolar

FNG
I was split between the same 2 scopes until I did a side x side comparison, Leupold won hands down. Glass is similar but I love the firedot and the weight difference is noticeable..also the leupold seemed more refined to me.

Jakerex

WKR
Out of curiosity what would be your choice?

It’s just the bandwagon thing to say anymore…..”leupolds don’t hold zero.” You need to go buy a 4lb nightforce or something in order to get a scope that will hold zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
It’s just the bandwagon thing to say anymore…..”leupolds don’t hold zero.” You need to go buy a 4lb nightforce or something in order to get a scope that will hold zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you buy a new Loopold and it doesn't hold zero, you will have jumped on the bandwagon.

It's all good - You run what you have til it fails, then you get something new/diff.