Vortex Viper vs Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide

Through a rewards program at work -- I am looking at picking up a pair of either Vortex Viper HD 12x50s or Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide 12x50s. I have a pair of Diamondback 10x42s that I got through the program a year and a half ago, so I'm looking for something with a little more magnification... since they're free -- I can't really complain. Just want to get some opinions on both.

I plan to head over to Scheels tonight to put them both up to my eyes - at least get a feel for both. I don't think looking through them inside a big box store does much justice, so I'm looking for opinions from folks who've had hands on experience with one or both pair.

I'm working on limited time so any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Through a rewards program at work -- I am looking at picking up a pair of either Vortex Viper HD 12x50s or Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide 12x50s. I have a pair of Diamondback 10x42s that I got through the program a year and a half ago, so I'm looking for something with a little more magnification... since they're free -- I can't really complain. Just want to get some opinions on both.

I plan to head over to Scheels tonight to put them both up to my eyes - at least get a feel for both. I don't think looking through them inside a big box store does much justice, so I'm looking for opinions from folks who've had hands on experience with one or both pair.

Thanks!
Digging up an old thread here but curious how things worked out. Which one did you go with? Do you still use them?

OP
coloyooper
Digging up an old thread here but curious how things worked out. Which one did you go with? Do you still use them?
I think I ended up with the Vortex 11-33 Razor HD spotting scope if I remember correctly lol. I recently purchased a pair of Meopta 10x42s off the classifieds here and use the diamondbacks as truck nockers now.

binoman

FNG

Thanks!
I have the 12x50 Viper HD and 8x32 BX-4. I know this is not an apples to apples comparison but overall I prefer the view through the Viper. Colours seem more vibrant and stand out whereas with the BX-4 there is a bit of a greenish/grey tinge overall. This was even more pronounced with their Tioga line which has been discontinued. The build quality of the viper I find is also better and has a higher quality feel overall, especially with the eye cups. The BX-4 does control CA better and has better edge to edge clarity but at 8x vs 12 you would expect this. Hope this helps!

I have the 12x50 Viper HD and 8x32 BX-4. I know this is not an apples to apples comparison but overall I prefer the view through the Viper. Colours seem more vibrant and stand out whereas with the BX-4 there is a bit of a greenish/grey tinge overall. This was even more pronounced with their Tioga line which has been discontinued. The build quality of the viper I find is also better and has a higher quality feel overall, especially with the eye cups. The BX-4 does control CA better and has better edge to edge clarity but at 8x vs 12 you would expect this. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the input!

Strange as in clarity or color?
Distortion. I have seen it in nearly every pair of Chinese-made bins I've bought (Bushnell being the only exception for some reason), which has been probably 15 or more pairs. That's why I don't spend money on Chinese-made optics anymore. Leupolds are made in Japan, and they are much more relaxing on the eyes - to me - than the Viper HD's.

Mosster47

Lil-Rokslider
I just went and compared those exact two models right before this lockdown and though the Leupold's were far superior.

IaArcher

FNG
I just got the Leupold BX4 10x42 in Sitka on sale for $480 shipped from Reeds. I've went back and forth the last two years. Leupold just seem better to me