Vortex rifle scope

I'm looking for a higher power vortex optic for a 300 win mag build. I was originally looking at the pst gen2 but found reveiws of those not being all that great for hunting. Mainly a western mountain hunter, what vortex scope would you all recommend? I can shoot long range and I prefer vortex as the glass works great for me, I prefer the viper series and budget is about 700.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a higher power vortex optic for a 300 win mag build. I was originally looking at the pst gen2 but found reveiws of those not being all that great for hunting. Mainly a western mountain hunter, what vortex scope would you all recommend? I can shoot long range and I prefer vortex as the glass works great for me, I prefer the viper series and budget is about 700.

I switched over every scope I have to vortex FFP in diamondbacks & they've done me well. My target rifles are 6-24s and my hunting rifles are 4-12s.

My brother has a viper pst gen1 on his 300 WM and is happy with it.

I'd have zero issues with a gen2 hunting.

I like the FFPs for hunting cuz I can just range and run hold overs no matter what power settings.

My ONLY issue & concern was going to Montana & putting the exposed turrets in the scabbard or knocking them around, so I put electrical tape around my turrets to ensure they didn't move. But with the PST that's not an issue with the zero stop.

CCamp88

FNG
Its a little more than your budget states, but I picked up a Razor HD LHT 3-15x50 from A&A optics refurbished for 850$ shipped. Great glass and I havent had any issues after 100 rounds of 270. Tracking is spot on. Pretty low weight and I like the fact that the turrets lock. That was my issue with hunting with my viper. Id always have to make sure my turrets were zerod.

Axlrod

WKR
No Vortex scope made would be my answer. Post #3 by @nobody is where I would start.

OP
M
I switched over every scope I have to vortex FFP in diamondbacks & they've done me well. My target rifles are 6-24s and my hunting rifles are 4-12s.

I like the FFPs for hunting cuz I can just range and run hold overs no matter what power settings.

My ONLY issue & concern was going to Montana & putting the exposed turrets in the scabbard or knocking them around, so I put electrical tape around my turrets to ensure they didn't move. But with the PST that's not an issue with the zero stop.
Why diamondback glass?

My ONLY issue & concern was going to Montana & putting the exposed turrets in the scabbard or knocking them around, so I put electrical tape around my turrets to ensure they didn't move. But with the PST that's not an issue with t

I would encourage you to start reading here:

In short: Nightforce, SWFA, Trijicon

Welcome to Rokslide

No Vortex scope made would be my answer. Post #3 by @nobody is where I would start.
Why is that? In my experience I need the warranty with optics. I always bang them up somehow in the back country.

OP
M

Why diamondback glass?

My ONLY issue & concern was going to Montana & putting the exposed turrets in the scabbard or knocking them around, so I put electrical tape around my turrets to ensure they didn't move. But with the PST that's not an issue with t

I would encourage you to start reading here:

In short: Nightforce, SWFA, Trijicon

Welcome to Rokslide

Its a little more than your budget states, but I picked up a Razor HD LHT 3-15x50 from A&A optics refurbished for 850$ shipped. Great glass and I havent had any issues after 100 rounds of 270. Tracking is spot on. Pretty low weight and I like the fact that the turrets lock. That was my issue with hunting with my viper. Id always have to make sure my turrets were zerod.
I would but they are out of stock.

nobody

WKR
Why diamondback glass?

Looks like you've edited the post, but in response as to “why” we wouldn’t recommend vortex scopes, the bottom line is reliability and zero retention.

What good does the warranty do if you’re on the hunt of a lifetime and your reticle rotates or scope dogs up or decides to not work in some way?

To be fair, 100% of my observation optics are Vortex. Spotter, multiple binos, rangefinder, and even my tripod. They’re all vortex. The difference is if my spotter goes down, it won’t cost me an animal. It’ll be annoying, but it won’t cost me a hunt. Your scope will. Certain brands are known to suffer from “pattern failures,” and they’re all the biggest names in optics. Leupold, Vortex, even Swaro. They fail at being the one thing a scope needs to be: an aiming device.

Reliability matters. Zero retention matters. Before you come back asking “why” we don’t recommend any vortex scope, spend some time going through that subforum I posted above.

Again, our recommendation will be Nightforce, Trijicon, and SWFA. Good luck.

CCamp88

FNG
Looks like you've edited the post, but in response as to “why” we wouldn’t recommend vortex scopes, the bottom line is reliability and zero retention.

What good does the warranty do if you’re on the hunt of a lifetime and your reticle rotates or scope dogs up or decides to not work in some way?

To be fair, 100% of my observation optics are Vortex. Spotter, multiple binos, rangefinder, and even my tripod. They’re all vortex. The difference is if my spotter goes down, it won’t cost me an animal. It’ll be annoying, but it won’t cost me a hunt. Your scope will. Certain brands are known to suffer from “pattern failures,” and they’re all the biggest names in optics. Leupold, Vortex, even Swaro. They fail at being the one thing a scope needs to be: an aiming device.

Reliability matters. Zero retention matters. Before you come back asking “why” we don’t recommend any vortex scope, spend some time going through that subforum I posted above.

Again, our recommendation will be Nightforce, Trijicon, and SWFA. Good luck.
Dang, now I feel like Ive made a bad choice. I own Trijicon, Meopta, NF shv, Leupold and Vortex viper and razor in magnified optics. I havent had an issue with any of them(besides weight) other than a Viper HS that wouldnt hold zero, but I just attributed that to the cheaper model and it being put through the ringer.

Ludo

FNG
Are you stuck on Vortex? There are much better options out there for the money…

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Why diamondback glass?

I chose the diamondback because it was a FFP and it fit my budget when i was switching all my scopes to FFPs.

I've never had issues with my scopes, ever.

I don't know what guys crap on Vortex, I find them to be fine optics at all levels.

I know and have shot with several police departments along with military snipers and several of the government "alphabet soup" guys and many of them run Vortex. Many of my local police departments run Vortex. Really never had an issue.

Now let's be honest, are there bad apples, certainly! Anything manufactured today has issues. Nothing is perfect or bullet proof. Nothing!

I have zero issues with my Vortex.

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
Vortex is the only brand of scope used by at least 15% of the top shooters in the PRS benchrest series since it started in 2012. I think close to half of the top shooters one year actually used Vortex. I have never used their scopes, but the evidence would suggest they are pretty good.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Lots of these points have been made already in other threads. In addition to reading the suggested threads, searching for some of these brands will be beneficial.

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
i have tried out multiple diff brands but one that has stuck out most for simple hard use scope for me has been zeis conquest. it has gone to idaho on spring bear, flown around good bit, held zero on 30-06 and still rocking with me. I got another that has sat on few different rifles and still enjoy it.

WRO

WKR
Vortex is the only brand of scope used by at least 15% of the top shooters in the PRS benchrest series since it started in 2012. I think close to half of the top shooters one year actually used Vortex. I have never used their scopes, but the evidence would suggest they are pretty good.

Did they buy them or get them free?

Also a bench rest rifle doesn’t take the abuse of a hunting scope.