Vortex Razor HD 65 MM----What to do?

OP
T
He said, its the 80 mm ATM angled 20x60 zoom, so I think its safe to assume he meant the eyepiece was included.

Great scope for the money but after getting some hd Zeiss binos I realized how much you lose at first and last light by not having the hd coatings. This is where the hd will rock but since I have the Minox 50 this is also why I'll get the 65.

Thats the first I have heard about the coatings effecting light transmission, it makes sense when going up to a 65 though. Thats one of the reasons I went to the 85 that and the 75X

Thats the ziess being better glass I think. If you had ziess glass in hd and non hd I dont think you would see a difference in brightness but I could be wrong

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
HD/ED/FL does not refer to a coating. It refers to flourite being incorporated into the actual composition of the objective glass.

HD glass does not affect brightness directly, but it can make an image seem brighter by reducing CA.

Coatings DO affect brightness, because they reduce the amount of light that bounces off the surfaces of the glass elements. The less light that bounces off, the more gets through to your eye.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I may be wrong but I thought the hd coating not only helped correct for ca but also allowed better color correction in less then ideal lighting. HD I don't think is just for digiscoping and I do think it helps with low and bright light conditions for keeping colors true. The better lens just keep the object sharp but do nit improve poor lighting conditions which is why an HD 50mm would allow better viewing in low/bright lighting conditions, the lenses just make for a sharp all around image which the md50 has in the center.

HD glass minimizes dispersion alone. The effect is truer colors (no color fringing), but does not affect brightness. Light transmission affects brightness. This is performed by better coatings. Zeiss says their new "HT" glass actually transmits more light due to the glass composition, however.

Well Travis Im glad you are getting what you want for a spotter and at an amazing deal. I certainly learned a little bit about optics on this thread so thats a good thing also.

OP
T
As I told Pyro in a PM, the guy told me it was the 20x60, so I assume it came with the eye piece. I called him three times and he was pretty busy as he said he was by himself. So I'll call him close to closing tonight, but from what I have researched online, even the angled body by itself at 800 is a good deal. I've found the 20-60 eye piece for around 450, so that puts the whole spotter (if indeed that's the case) at 1250. Cheapest I've found online is 1700 new.

OP
T
Called tonight and the lady said it came with the eye piece! Hope she's not telling me fibs.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Called tonight and the lady said it came with the eye piece! Hope she's not telling me fibs.

Not to bring you down, but don't get your hopes up too fast! I had a friend of a friend call Cabela's in Boise several weeks ago getting prices and he was told they had an atm 80HD for like 1900. I had been talking to him as I have a fried that deals for Swaro and when he told me that price I told him he better be sure before he drove down to pick it up as it didn't sound right to me, well he didn't ... Long story short, he got there and the guy was somehow mistaken, as the price was like 2700, not 1900. All that aside, I hope for your sake it isn't a mistake as that's a great deal!!!

trdhunter

WKR
anyone know if it is possible to find that deal on swaro anywhere else? I would buy one tomorrow also. I have been comparing, price shopping, looking used, demos, deal sites etc and have not been able to make my mind up which scope to go with. Lately have been between vortex razor 85 and zeiss 85, and I know I would be happy with either as well as swaro or kowa. Decisions decisions.