Vortex Razor HD 65 MM----What to do?

bbrown

WKR
One can never go wrong with a Swaro plus I picked mine up lightly used for $1100 (non-HD) so I am still ok with it.
I am still very curious about these new spotters form Vortex - I had a Leupold GR 50mm and it worked but definitely left something to be desired.

I compared the razor 85mm hd to the swaro 80mm non hd. The sawro was so much better to my eye that after looking through the swaro the razor looked out of focus at longrange fine details, but thats just me. I was going to get the swaro but then got a deal on a ziess Im still not sure the ziess is any better than swaro non hd, Im still playing with it and trying to decide if it was worth the extra 300$. That swaro was much better than the vortex in my opinion. The hd I guess it depends on how into digiscoping you want to get, from what I heard thats the main advantage of the hd. If I was looking at a vortex razor 85 hd or the swaro 80 non HD hands down no contest the swaro. As there is no 65 razor to look through and the swaro 65 atm/stm on clearance until they are gone I would go with swaro and you will never regret it. The swaro 65mm HD ATM/STM HD are on sale for 1749$ I believe.

Im not saying vortex is a poor company, I have had one of thier scopes and I liked it but to my eyes there is no comparision of vortex to swaro. The swaro is always going to be more clear and has better glass, period. I'm not saying you cant get it done with a vortex and at retail to retail price Im not saying that the swaro is that much better to justify the huge price difference. But these atm/stm swaro's on clearance at cabelas, the swaro is the choice.

Im not saying vortex is a poor company, I have had one of thier scopes and I liked it but to my eyes there is no comparision of vortex to swaro. The swaro is always going to be more clear and has better glass, period. I'm not saying you cant get it done with a vortex and at retail to retail price Im not saying that the swaro is that much better to justify the huge price difference. But these atm/stm swaro's on clearance at cabelas, the swaro is the choice.

That's really interesting to hear you say that. While on my Idaho deer hunt this year we stopped at some hunters camp and BS'd for awhile. The guy had his Swaro 65mm Non HD spotter setup. I setup my VIPER 65 HD spotter right next to it... hands down the vortex had better resolution and was much sharper... I was blown away. Now his may of been a bit older, and it may be a bit brighter at low light, but it was plain to see that their non HD 65mm was not as sharp as the Vortex mid range Viper 65mm HD. I only had 5-10 minutes behind both scopes side by side, but I was extremely surprised... This was middle of the sunny day glassing around 600 yards. Obviously not enough time to really put both scopes through the same situations, but thats the only side by side comparison opportunity I had.

I would think that the Razor HD would be much better than the Viper HD (The scopes are definitely more clear!) and would be on a more equal footing with the Swaro HD's...

Mike

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think Pyro must have been looking through a bad one or something.

My 85 Razor is comparable to a non HD swaro.

I may have had a bad one but I looked through a vortex at two different stores. Im not saying the difference was huge. I probably would have been satisfied if I had never copmpared them side by side. The difference I saw was in fine detail at over 800 yards. Things I liked about the vortex were the warranty (lifetime no fault) and the dual focus knob on the top. If I had to pay for a vortex at elknut1's price or a swaro at normal retail, I probably would have gone vortex as the difference was not a 1000$ difference. I was also looking in extremely overcast conditions. So Im not bashing vortex by anymeans, Im just saying to me the swaro was better, both the hd and non hd.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I would go hd over non especially if you plan to digiscope. Currently I would say only Aron can answer that exact question.

Well, I am not Aron.

I have, however, used all of these scopes. I have had the Razor next to the Swaro HD and non-HD. I have had the Razor next to the Zeiss FL85. I have digiscoped with all of them.

The non-HD swaro atms, both 65 and 80, I have seen showed significantly more color fringing in high-contrast areas than the Razor HD. This is expected, as they use standard optical glass, and not HD (High Definition) glass. HD is just another term for ED (extra-low dispersion) glass. These types of optical glass contain flourite, which controls the splitting of light coming through the optic (dispersion). Zeiss calls their ED glass "FL." No matter what they call it, they all work the same way.

The HD Swaros and Razor HD control CA much better than the non-HD Swaros.

However, the non-HD scopes are still very good scopes, and are competitive in pure resolution with both the Razor HD and HD Swaros, in low-contrast viewing situations. This makes parking-lot comparisons tough, because you often need to use the scopes under a lot of different conditions to really get a good idea of their strengths and weaknesses.

For instance, if one was using the Diascope 85tFL under turbulent air conditions, you might conclude it has low resolution at max power, which isn't the case. Also if you compare an HD to non-HD Swaro in only a low-contrast situation, one might conclude the HD glass has zero benefit.

I spend a lot of time glassing snowy burns. These situations have a LOT of high contrast viewing. HD,ED,FL scopes are a great benefit, as the color fringing in standard scopes interferes with the view.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Haha,

I got ya. I haven't seen the 65 Razor yet, but as Swaro has shown us with their new ATX system, you don't have to reinvent the wheel to change the objective size.

BTW,

I really don't want to seem anti-Swarovski. I really like Swarovski products, and the ATM 65HD is my favorite 65mm spotter. I like it best with the 25-50 WA.

Well I learned something. I didnt get to view the scopes under many conditions, just the parking lot view you described. I went with the Ziess 85 T FL and figure I cant go wrong. Im actually feeling a little better about my purchace after reading your replies to this thread, as I just havent seen a big difference yet looking at things around my house compared to what I saw in the parking lot with the swaro non hd.

I have realized the limitations of the 50mm scopes but if thats what you are looking for the minox md 50 is a great little scope and you can get demo models for like 250$

Shrek

WKR
Have you looked at the Kowa 66mm with the florite lens. Models tsn 663 & 664 I think. Kowa is rated best on the bird watcher sites. They really get into detail and color fidelity.

OP
T
Thanks for the input. My Cabelas had the 80 mm 20x60 ATM on clearance for 800.00. I am picking it up tomorrow.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Vortex Cuts a Wide Swath through the Optics Market with its Razor HD Line
Razor HD Binoculars: 2013 brings with it the addition of 10x50 and 12x50 models to Vortex’s incredibly popular Razor HD line of binoculars.​
Vortex’sRazor HD Binoculars offer the ultimate combination of advanced optical technologies and premium components in a lightweight, ergonomic package.

Premium, hand-selected HD (High Density) extra-low dispersion glass delivers the ultimate in resolution and color fidelity resulting in astonishingly sharp, high definition images. Lenses fully multicoated with Vortex’s proprietary XR antireflective coatings guarantee maximum brightness and glassing confidence during critical low-light periods of dawn and dusk. Exterior lenses feature Armor Tek, an ultrahard optical coating engineered to protect against scratches, oil and dirt. Phase corrected prisms – a necessity to achieve a quality roof prism binocular ensure sharp images and contrast.

The True Open Hinge design, coupled with its magnesium chassis, make the Razor lightweight, ultratough, and optimally ergonomic. Durable rubber armoring protects the housing and ensures a nonslip grip – no matter the weather conditions. Incredibly comfortable twist-up eyecups with positive settings offer a range of eye relief options. Locking right-eye diopter. O-ring sealed and purged with argon gas for 100 percent waterproof/fogproof performance.

Vortex’s Razor HD binoculars deliver the highest level of optical performance ensuring you have the edge every time you lift them to your eyes.

Available: (8x42 MSRP $1,279) (10x42 MSRP $1,299) (NEW 10x50 MSRP $1,489) (NEW 12x50 MSRP $1,499)

[FONT=&quot]Razor HD Spotting Scopes:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Vortex added much-asked-for 65 and 50 mm models to its world renowned Razor HD line of spotting scopes, ensuring hunters and shooters get top-tier optical performance in a package to fit their recreational needs. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Rivaling any premium spotting scope currently built at any price, Vortex’s Razor HD Spotting Scopes deliver advanced optical technologies and premium performance. Bright, crisp and clear, Razor HD spotters feature [/FONT]HD (High Density Extra-Low Dispersion) glass lens elements[FONT=&quot]carefully selected and precision-crafted to exacting standards for true-to-life images of startling clarity and color accuracy. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Exterior lenses are protected by ArmorTek - an ultrahard, scratch-resistant fluorine compound that repels oil, dirt and the corrosive salts of fingerprints. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Fully multi-coated[/FONT]with scratch-resistant XRcoatings[FONT=&quot] for extremely high resolution and optimal light transmission. An advanced optical element configuration - virtually eliminates aberrations for distortion-free, flat field images with unmatched edge-to-edge accuracy.[/FONT]

A die-cast magnesium alloy body with strategically-placed rubber armoring ensures ultimate strength, durability and lightweight performance. 100 percent waterproof, fogproof (purged with argon gas), dustproof and shockproof construction. Argon gas maintains its protective properties over a wider temperature range compared to traditional nitrogen, does not diffuse as quickly as other elements and will not absorb or react chemically with water.

[FONT=&quot]The Razor HD nearly achieves the maximum resolution obtainable relative to the size of its objective lens, producing an exceptionally bright, crisp view with accurate color reproduction in even the dimmest light of dawn and dusk. [/FONT]

Angled and straight models are available.

Available: (11-33x50 MSRP $999) (16-48x65MSRP $1,599) (20-60x85 MSRP $2,000)

About Vortex Optics: American owned, Middleton, Wisconsin based Vortex Optics designs, engineers and distributes a complete line of premium binoculars, riflescopes, spotting scopes, tripods and related accessories. Dedicated to exceptional quality, value and unrivaled customer service, Vortex backs its products with its unconditional, transferable, lifetime VIP-warranty. Built on more than 20 years of experience in the optics industry, Vortex is rapidly emerging as a leading brand in the optics market.
Vortex - The Force of Optics | www.vortexoptics.com

The actual weight of the 50mm is 25 oz

The actual weight of the 65mm weighs 48 oz.

Andf the Cabelas in utah has most of the swaro stuff if your store didnt have the specific thing you wanted you can have them transfer it from there