Vortex razor compared to Swarovski line

LOL got a good laugh out of this!

I’m kind of a optics nerd myself. Recently I have been on a kick to find a better spotter than my razor gen 1 85. I thought forsure the swaro ATS 65 or the Kowa 55 was going to be my go to since I wanted to shave some weight.

Maybe I got a bad Kowa 55 but I was not a fan. Bought and sent back. Would rather take the weight penalty of the razor 85 because the image was a fair amount better and much better glassing experience.

Next I compared my razor to several new ATS 65s with 25-50 and 20-60 eye pieces over 3 different evenings at a sporting goods store. Just simply not impressed when glassing +-1.75 miles in during sunset. Maybe slighter better than the razor but at 3x the price (the razor 85 gen 1 goes for $750 new)

Next the swaro ATC 56. These actually impressed me and May end up with one. The razor being much larger objective did seem brighter at the las t it of light but other than that the ATC produced similar info a bit better resolution and much better glassing experience. Made the razor feel like I was looking through a tunnel.

This is all to say that while I hate all the influencers vortex has, they do make some pretty solid pieces of glass (razor line).

Some times the money people spend on a certain brands cloud their judgment and they arrive upon an opinion that their Swaro, Leica, Kowa, ZEISS, etc is the best because they can’t bare to think they dropped $2k plus on something that’s not the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tahoe1305

WKR
Where have you been able to apply discounts on top of the sale price? I haven’t been able to find a retailer like that

I swore that S&S and Black Ovis and a few others over the years have allowed a discount. But I did try myself last week with little luck. Not sure if it’s the sale or just black out on discounts with swaro (I think that may be it) but no luck. My statement stands corrected at least for the time being.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Swaros=Everything
Vortex=Garbage

There, that is my comparison.

Based on my experience, whatever you buy from Vortex, you will get to know their customer service number by heart. 3 pieces (OK, that's on me) 5 returns.

Last edited:
Personally ive had to many failures with vortex scopes to trust them on a hunt. Had nikon binos, stepped it up to the pures this year. Nl 10x42 looked through them once, and well found somewhere with a deal on them.

Hunting this year? 10 day moose hunt. Blew my buddies(nikons) out of the water. Spotted a bull we couldn't get to 2-3 miles? Away? They couldn't resolve it. Couldn't make it closer to get details, but was able to find him. 0 regrets.

Your money, your choice, how many more years are you hunting? If something comes out in 15+ years I decide to buy, my kids would love to have "dad's" old binos I'm sure.

hunterjmj

WKR
Another good choice is the Meopta Meostar. They are built like tanks and the glass is great. I bought a vortex hst rifle scope in 15' and it failed in 17'. Last vortex product I'll own. Sold that scope and saved for a nightforce. Meostars aren't NL's but they are great glass.

cmahoney

WKR
LOL got a good laugh out of this!

I’m kind of a optics nerd myself. Recently I have been on a kick to find a better spotter than my razor gen 1 85. I thought forsure the swaro ATS 65 or the Kowa 55 was going to be my go to since I wanted to shave some weight.

Maybe I got a bad Kowa 55 but I was not a fan. Bought and sent back. Would rather take the weight penalty of the razor 85 because the image was a fair amount better and much better glassing experience.

Next I compared my razor to several new ATS 65s with 25-50 and 20-60 eye pieces over 3 different evenings at a sporting goods store. Just simply not impressed when glassing +-1.75 miles in during sunset. Maybe slighter better than the razor but at 3x the price (the razor 85 gen 1 goes for $750 new)

Next the swaro ATC 56. These actually impressed me and May end up with one. The razor being much larger objective did seem brighter at the las t it of light but other than that the ATC produced similar info a bit better resolution and much better glassing experience. Made the razor feel like I was looking through a tunnel.

This is all to say that while I hate all the influencers vortex has, they do make some pretty solid pieces of glass (razor line).

Some times the money people spend on a certain brands cloud their judgment and they arrive upon an opinion that their Swaro, Leica, Kowa, ZEISS, etc is the best because they can’t bare to think they dropped $2k plus on something that’s not the best

Try comparing scopes with the same objective size. I once had a Razor 85 prior to my STX and they are not even close.

Try comparing scopes with the same objective size. I once had a Razor 85 prior to my STX and they are not even close.

While you are correct, in theory the swaro 65 should still kick the razor 85s butt with it’s superior glass. The point was it doesn’t. Not saying it wouldn’t beat out a razor 65.

cmahoney

WKR
While you are correct, in theory the swaro 65 should still kick the razor 85s butt with it’s superior glass. The point was it doesn’t. Not saying it wouldn’t beat out a razor 65.

Have you compared them in the field? I’d take my STX with my 65 objective over the 85 razor I had.

Guys I am looking for a 10x42 binoculars and wanted the nl pure was wondering how
the vortex uhd line compares to that. Or where does the razor Uhd compare to the Swarovski line

OP, I’d recommend just looking through both manufactures in low light conditions. If you can’t do it at a store, you can rent them from online dealers (google search).

Point being, only the way your eyes see through the glass matters. Bunch of Vortex haters on here, some of it is rightfully deserved. This isn’t coming from a vortex fan boy. I have meopta B1 binos, razor 85 spotter (May upgrade to Kowa 88 or swaro ATC), ZEISS rifle scope, sig rangefinder

cmahoney

WKR
OP, I’d recommend just looking through both manufactures in low light conditions. If you can’t do it at a store, you can rent them from online dealers (google search).

Point being, only the way your eyes see through the glass matters. Bunch of Vortex haters on here, some of it is rightfully deserved. This isn’t coming from a vortex fan boy. I have meopta B1 binos, razor 85 spotter (May upgrade to Kowa 88 or swaro ATC), ZEISS rifle scope, sig rangefinder

Vortex haters or guys who have real world experience with both.

Have you compared them in the field? I’d take my STX with my 65 objective over the 85 razor I had.

Not the the STX but the 3 different new ATS 65. From what I’ve heard the ATS and STX is similar but that’s just what I read on here

WRO

WKR
Not the the STX but the 3 different new ATS 65. From what I’ve heard the ATS and STX is similar but that’s just what I read on here

Different glass, the ATS is SLD glass and the ATX is EL glass, its noticeable at higher powers.

Vortex haters or guys who have real world experience with both.

You got an axe to grind or what? Can you not bare the fact that someone is comparing your $3k plus setup to a setup that costs much less?

I have experience with several vortex items and swaro. I too have used vortex’s CS/warranty so I’m not out here saying they’re the best. What I’m saying is that going straight to Swaro isn’t for everyone. Is it the easy button, sure but many swaro people get blind to the fact that there are also other brands that have good glass (not 100% equal glass, it’s commonly accepted that swaro is #1 for glass)

I’m not a swaro hater or a vortex fan boy. This is coming from a guy that’s owned and sold swaro before, so it’s not an affordability issue. In fact the spotter that replaces my razor 85 will likely be a Kowa or swaro.

cmahoney

WKR
You got an axe to grind or what? Can you not bare the fact that someone is comparing your $3k plus setup to a setup that costs much less?

I have experience with several vortex items and swaro. I too have used vortex’s CS/warranty so I’m not out here saying they’re the best. What I’m saying is that going straight to Swaro isn’t for everyone. Is it the easy button, sure but many swaro people get blind to the fact that there are also other brands that have good glass (not 100% equal glass, it’s commonly accepted that swaro is #1 for glass)

I’m not a swaro hater or a vortex fan boy. This is coming from a guy that’s owned and sold swaro before, so it’s not an affordability issue. In fact the spotter that replaces my razor 85 will likely be a Kowa or swaro.

No axe to grind. You mentioned Vortex hater. My opinion is based on my experience owning both and glassing animals all year with both. I’m sorry if I offended you, I try not to do that on rokslide, seriously.

I recently had to send in my Swarovski spotting scope (STS 20-60x80 HD) for repair/maintenance. Damn thing had condensation in it. I also returned a Z3 scope (Swarovski had problems with the Z3 scopes back then) scope twice about 10 years ago. I sold it soon after. So, does this mean that Swarovski products totally suck scat always and forever and ever? Yes, no, maybe, heck no, sometimes, probably, kinda sorta? For the record, I still like all my Swarovski products.

Btw, the 416 Weatherby Magnum and 458 Lott are notoriously hard on rifle scopes (I quit shooting those damn things last year...sold them all and sticking with 416 Remington Mag and 375 H&H Mag). The Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 is just middle of the road as far as durability/toughness goes. Great glass though.

I have no experience with the Swarovski Z8i scopes, so they could be more durable/tougher than the Z6i. I have also never tried a Vortex Razor 1-6x24 ($1500). My best guess is that it is as durable/tough as the Z6i Swarovski, ($2300) no huge difference in the glass quality but will give the edge to Swarovski, however, for me, the Swarovski has a better reticle (4I) for big bores and dangerous game vs the Vortex BDC. IMO, that's the only difference between the two, that and $800 bucks.

The Trijicon AccuPoint and Leupold VX 6 HD have worked better for me on big bore rifles over the past decade. This is just my opinion based on MY experiences over the years. Your mileage my vary. Oh, one last thing, the Leupold 2.5 power (fixed) and the VX III 1.75-6x32 were damn good scopes on 375 H&H and 458 Win back in the day.