Vortex razor compared to Swarovski line

Jlt1313

FNG
I owned NL in 8 and 12. I also had the ATX/BTX system and my backpack spotter was an ATS.

But I looked at where I hunt and how much time I spend behind glass. If I was sitting for hours on end, I’d still have all of that.

I mostly bow hunt and that in a lot of timber. For me, all that money wasn’t necessary.

I sold all of it and now have Maven B series 8 and 12. Vortex UHD 18x56. Maven S.2 small spotter. And an Athlon Cronus G2 big spotter.

I won’t for one second say that any of those are as “good” as Swarovski but they are good.

Plus I added thousands onto my mortgage after buying it all which knocked several years off my loan term.

I’d say consider your needs and go with it. It’s popular to hate on Vortex but the reality is that they make a damn fine mid tier product that is more than enough for most people. But only you can answer that. If you want the very best, NL it is. And hell, sometimes it’s just great to buy whatever it is you want and enjoy it.
Out of the 8 & 12 NL’s what did you use most? Also with the mavens 8 & 12’s you didn’t notice a huge difference from NL’s to mavens? I originally did the same with Vortex and Swarovski’s. I was back and forth justifying my purchase but I’m always behind the binoculars even on camping trips, fishing or just outdoors is why I stuck with my Swarovski’s but say if I wasn’t outdoors I’d definitely stick with vortex. I agree it does get beat up often but it gets the job done when you need them.

They compare how you would expect binos that cost considerably less to. At the prices you can get either for by shopping around the NL costs nearly 2.5x as much.

For the $1250ish you can get the UHD's for they're probably one of the best choices as well as Meoptas, Mavens, used SLC HD's, and some others. It's up to you to decide if they're worth the price though, it is for some and isn't for most. What's more important is that for what you can get them for they are an excellent value, but I wouldn't pay MAP for them or close to it when that will get you used Swaro EL's, Leica UVHD+, or Zeiss SF's which are a step above.

I was just in south Texas hunting. I had the Razor HDs and my buddy had the Pures. We both agreed in broad daylight they were darn close except for the outside edge being much better on the Swaros. In low light the Swaro had a very minor advantage. Maybe a few extra min at most. I was quite happy with how the Razors performed in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
I traded UHDs for swaro SLCs to a member here. He sold them within a couple days. I’ve still got the SLCs two years later.

TheCoyote

FNG
Is the glass in the rangefinder binoculars the same glass as the non rangefinder?
Example would be the Swarovski 10x42 EL Range. Or the Leica noctovid 10x42 range?
Are they just as wonderful plus a rangefinder?

Is the glass in the rangefinder binoculars the same glass as the non rangefinder?
Example would be the Swarovski 10x42 EL Range. Or the Leica noctovid 10x42 range?
Are they just as wonderful plus a rangefinder?

No, it is not the same. Lots of info around on rangefinding binos, ones to consider are leica geovid R, revic, and meopta

cmahoney

WKR
185afa856f75e23c7c4b178ebb4fc8be.jpg

Hnthrdr

WKR
Have the 10x50 UHD’s, they are great glass for the 1k I paid for them… but they are Not my buddies NL 12x50’s I looked through. Someday when my kids are grown and I get my time back I’ll buy some cutting edge swaro’s I can’t justify it right now, cost vs use is something I weigh. I hardly touch my bino’s elk archery elk hunting (use a little pair of 8x40s) so the UHD’s get used scouting or on my rifle deer hunts. Which these days is not as much time as it used to be, so I’m just fine with what I have now.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Only Binos I like as much or more than the NLs are the Zeiss Victory, same price either way. The feel in the hand on the Victory and focus knob I prefer over the NL. Glass in both is too good honestly.

WRO

WKR
I wouldn't take a free pair of Razors if I had to keep them.

12 power NL's are heads and shoulders the best I've ever run. If I didn't have them and EL's, I'd look at the meostar line up.

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't take a free pair of Razors if I had to keep them.

12 power NL's are heads and shoulders the best I've ever run. If I didn't have them and EL's, I'd look at the meostar line up.
If you were blindfolded, I doubt you could see a difference between any of these.

Last edited: