Vortex Radian Carbon Tripod Review **Updated 4/6/21**

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all, happy new year! Vortex just released some new for 2021 products that look pretty cool. I'll be reviewing their new Radian Carbon Tripod with ball head and @Travis Bertrand will be reviewing the Radian Carbon Tripod with leveling head. We'll post here as we test them out so please post your questions and feedback.

**Update 4/6/21** Vortex Radian Carbon Fiber Tripod Review

3ff478b9c225e4ba19baee8d81db8cc5.jpg
b5d6a0649bc762feb47794e554006455.jpg

Last edited:

Stwrt9

WKR
I've spent some time with all of the new offerings over the last month and I think you will really like these. For the money they are going to be a big seller for what you get. Look forward to hear your thoughts on these.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've spent some time with all of the new offerings over the last month and I think you will really like these. For the money they are going to be a big seller for what you get. Look forward to hear your thoughts on these.
me too

Thinking about getting my first tripod and live by the buy once cry once philosophy. So when Vortex announced these it really got my attention.

what are the benefits and/or drawbacks of the ball head vs the leveling head?

how do these vortex offerings compare to the well know higher end tripods like RRS?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ball head has more range of motion. Gun is top heavy on it and you have to keep balance if loose or the gun will tip/flop over. It works well as a glassing tripod.

Leveling base has less adjustment. Gun is not top heavy, won't tip over, and it locks more positively. Is shorter. Doesn't work well for glassing unless you get a tall mount otherwise your face is in the tripod. It also have very little range so you have to adjust legs all the time to scan a mountain or canyon.

What Vortex is offering looks a lot like Leofoto, Feisol, etc. have offered. They are in common use along with less expensive. It does not appear Vortex has done anything new with the. I haven't seen them, but such tripods and heads are quite suitable and workable. If you buy either one, you can make significant work with it.

If you have the leveling base, you can add a ballhead on top. It just weighs more. For photography, that is the purpose of the leveling base so when they pan with the head for pictures it tracks level. It is much easier to level the base than trying to level it by adjusting the legs.

Most choose the ballhead for shooting. I ran a cheaper tripod and ballhead, and shot just fine. I upgraded and it is just easier, more stable and better lock up.

I would recommend the ballhead version for 99% of what hunters would use it for.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thinking about getting my first tripod and live by the buy once cry once philosophy. So when Vortex announced these it really got my attention.

what are the benefits and/or drawbacks of the ball head vs the leveling head?

how do these vortex offerings compare to the well know higher end tripods like RRS?
Buy one cry once territory is a Really Right Stuff tripod of your choice with the Anvil 30. I bought the Anvil 30 but cheaped out on a Feisol for now. Look at their SOAR section. They are stiffer and higher quality, and usually lighter too.

But, if you buy the Vortex tripod, you would never need to upgrade if the quality is close to the price.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey all, happy new year! Vortex just released some new for 2021 products that look pretty cool. I'll be reviewing their new Radian Carbon Tripod with ball head and @Travis Bertrand will be reviewing the Radian Carbon Tripod with leveling head. We'll post here as we test them out so please post your questions and feedback.

3ff478b9c225e4ba19baee8d81db8cc5.jpg
b5d6a0649bc762feb47794e554006455.jpg
Justin, for your reviews, I am curious how the friction tension and the lock up knobs feel to you.

On the shot, does the ball head move at all?
Does the ball head move when locking?

Does friction lock stay at the setting?
Can friction lock adjust so you can use binos?

To confirm, it has a separate knob for the base plate to pan swivel?
How does that feel?

Thanks!

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin, for your reviews, I am curious how the friction tension and the lock up knobs feel to you.

On the shot, does the ball head move at all?
Does the ball head move when locking?

Does friction lock stay at the setting?
Can friction lock adjust so you can use binos?

To confirm, it has a separate knob for the base plate to pan swivel?
How does that feel?

Thanks!
Thank you for the questions! I'll get you good answers for the first two questions after I use it a bit more.

The friction lock stays where I set it. I don't see any reason at all that you couldn't use binos on it. I used it a bunch at a shoot this weekend and enjoyed it with my spotter and rangefinder on it.

There are four knobs on the head. One for tightening the Arca plate down, one for setting the ball head tension, one for locking the ball head, and one for locking/unlocking the pan/swivel.

I think it pans very smoothly and the knobs for adjusting everything are also smooth. The overall "feel" of the ball head is good in my opinion.

simpy16

FNG
These look like leofoto or similar is making these for them. There is nothing new to these tripods other than Vortex finally having somebody slap their logo on them and selling them along side their spotters and binos as if somebody really needed to have a full Vortex package to make it all work.
I will admit I am not a Vortex fanboy at all but have to give them compliments on their ability to sit back, watch what the market does and how people gravitate to certain things and then they figure out how to reproduce the same EXACT thing, shave some money off the price and sell it as if they reinvented the wheel to the masses of uneducated people.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I did a little more shooting with the Radian the other day. The ball head locks up really solid. I didn't notice it moving when I locked it down and it stays put.

20210129_172340.jpg

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ive dabbled in shooting off of tripods over the past couple years. They have been hunting tripods with pan heads meant for glassing.

The Radian has really upped my game with shooting off of tripods! Im really impressed with this guy!!! it makes me want to put an Arcaswiss rail on every gun I own. The Radian is VERY stable and I feel comfortable shooting out to 400 or so in a seated or kneeling position. standing I am stable out to 300 or so.

The next couple weeks, I will be using this tripod quite a bit so stay tuned!!

8b08b5b0b65c345fd5a71e6de3c31340.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ive dabbled in shooting off of tripods over the past couple years. They have been hunting tripods with pan heads meant for glassing.

The Radian has really upped my game with shooting off of tripods! Im really impressed with this guy!!! it makes me want to put an Arcaswiss rail on every gun I own. The Radian is VERY stable and I feel comfortable shooting out to 400 or so in a seated or kneeling position. standing I am stable out to 300 or so.

The next couple weeks, I will be using this tripod quite a bit so stay tuned!!

8b08b5b0b65c345fd5a71e6de3c31340.jpg

OK so when you buy the Radian, Vortex supplies the Swiss-Arca and you install? Is it a stud installation? wait, we know you're a stud installing it, what I mean is does it attach to the sling stud on the gun. I guess I don't really understand the Swiss-Arca system now that I'm thinking about it.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK so when you buy the Radian, Vortex supplies the Swiss-Arca and you install? Is it a stud installation? wait, we know you're a stud installing it, what I mean is does it attach to the sling stud on the gun. I guess I don't really understand the Swiss-Arca system now that I'm thinking about it.
Arca swiss is the same system used by Swaro, and other optics companies in an effort to uniform the base plate and adapters. now they make rails you can attach to the bottom of your rifle so you can easily put your gun on top of a tripod. With a chassis rifle, its super easy. buy the rail, bolt it on. Now with a conventional stock, im not too sure. Ive seen rails made for specific stocks but yes, you have to drill into your stock and permanently mount it.

Im sure you can find a plate that uses the sling stud on your rifle, but you will probably want the plate more centered on the rifle for better balance.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Arca swiss is the same system used by Swaro, and other optics companies in an effort to uniform the base plate and adapters. now they make rails you can attach to the bottom of your rifle so you can easily put your gun on top of a tripod. With a chassis rifle, its super easy. buy the rail, bolt it on. Now with a conventional stock, im not too sure. Ive seen rails made for specific stocks but yes, you have to drill into your stock and permanently mount it.

Im sure you can find a plate that uses the sling stud on your rifle, but you will probably want the plate more centered on the rifle for better balance.

OK, I understand now. I guess I’m not one of the cool kids because I don’t have a chassis gun. I’m always 10 years behind what’s cool Ha ha ha

Trooper

FNG
Excited for the review...
Do you think you’d forego a bi-pod if you had the Arca Swiss installed?

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Excited for the review...
Do you think you’d forego a bi-pod if you had the Arca Swiss installed?

I'm writing up the review now and should have it published in the next week or so.

I don't think I would forego a bipod entirely except in situations where I'm hunting sagebrush or tall grass and don't expect a chance at a prone shot.