Vortex LHT - FFP?

Interesting. I have an older vortex intrepid scope that is 4.5-22x50. It was a model they made with cabelas and then stopped. I have it still on my 270wsm and like that range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, if it just came in 2.5x on the low range. Still a sweet piece, but not enough to get rid of the ol Bushnell 6500.

Motown

WKR
Hmm might have to go against my better nature and get a Vortex
I did the same thing when I ordered my 3-15 LHT last year and I am really glad I did. I am really impressed with the 3-15 and I am sure the 4.5-22 will be even better. I was never a Vortex guy but the Razor line is pretty damn good for the $.

sndmn11

WKR
Yes, because that it the Minimum Advertised Price set be Vortex. I was commenting that $1,499 is the price you will see everywhere. I had no idea why you told me to tell AAO that their price is wrong.

I thought you were saying it was incorrect because it was MAP. I had only put that there because a few people on page one asked what it would cost, and that was what I found so I thought it was relevant and it looks like if you really wanted to you could order it from there at that price.

Interesting. I like the weight of these but I'd be happier if they made their 3-15x42 in a FFP. I also just don't trust Vortex scopes not to fail (I know folks say the Razor line does ok but I still don't trust them). I'd be interested to know if @Formidilosus has tested these and what his thoughts are. I watched a good bit of Ilyas review above but that is also a sample size of one.

Weber

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting. I like the weight of these but I'd be happier if they made their 3-15x42 in a FFP. I also just don't trust Vortex scopes not to fail (I know folks say the Razor line does ok but I still don't trust them). I'd be interested to know if @Formidilosus has tested these and what his thoughts are. I watched a good bit of Ilyas review above but that is also a sample size of one.
I just ordered one. My Razor HD Gen III has proven to be nothing but reliable and I'm not st all gentle with it. I'm about 8000 rounds and 8 months running it all over. Where did you pickup on vortex being unreliable.

Man, if it just came in 2.5x on the low range. Still a sweet piece, but not enough to get rid of the ol Bushnell 6500.
Wish granted:
2.5-20 Nightforce NX8 F1
- all metal erectors
- better glass than Razor line IMO (don't get pissed, I know it's subjective to each user)
- stupid-proof durability
- flawless tracking and return-to-zero (not saying my AMGs didn't perform this flawlessly, they did)
- no weird cresent-moon shadow ring at the 2 o'clock position showing up over time under recoil @ magnification to be explained away by the tech dept after sending multiple scopes in multiple times. Own enough Vortex scopes or research it yourself, its a thing...
- the Push down/pull up locking elevation turret that will stick in cold temps rendering dialing dope useless.
This issue was the final straw with my AMG; it ruined the edge on a Benchmade; in mine and my hunting partner's desperation in a final attempt trying to pry it up for dialing on a big buck at 800+ yards in 30° temp...the turret never budged open, but it did ruin my blade, badly scoring the turret and scope housing in the process. Vortex knew about the cold-locking-turret issues on their Alpha-glass scope offering when they put them out and is still an issue to this day.

All that to say, the Razor AMG is my favorite scope ever made by Vortex (still own a couple on comp rigs) but the above mentioned issues have pushed me back to Nightforce on hunting rigs; they just don't suffer from controllable design and build quality issues that surface in the moment of truth.
I REALLY like the Vortex company and their systems, just not for extreme mountain or duty work.

Last edited:
Wish granted:
2.5-20 Nightforce NX8 F1
- all metal erectors
- better glass than Razor line IMO (don't get pissed, I know it's subjective to each user)
- stupid-proof durability
- flawless tracking and return-to-zero (not saying my AMGs didn't perform this flawlessly, they did)
- no weird cresent-moon shadow ring at the 2 o'clock position showing up over time under recoil @ magnification to be explained away by the tech dept after sending multiple scopes in multiple times. Own enough Vortex scopes or research it yourself, its a thing...
- the Push down/pull up locking elevation turret that will stick in cold temps rendering dialing dope useless.
This issue was the final straw with my AMG; it ruined the edge on a Benchmade; in mine and my hunting partner's desperation in a final attempt trying to pry it up for dialing on a big buck at 800+ yards in 30° temp...the turret never budged open, but it did ruin my blade, badly scoring the turret and scope housing in the process. Vortex knew about the cold-locking-turret issues on their Alpha-glass scope offering when they put them out and is still an issue to this day.

All that to say, the Razor AMG is my favorite scope ever made by Vortex (still own a couple on comp rigs) but the above mentioned issues have pushed me back to Nightforce on hunting rigs; they just don't suffer from controllable design and build quality issues that surface in the moment of truth.
I REALLY like the Vortex company and their systems, just not for extreme mountain or duty work.
Oh I know about that one. It’s just the Vortex is usually cheaper and I’ve had decent luck with the PST series and I’m a buyer of used scopes on top of that. If money was no issue, that’s what I would have. One day I will just sell all my mid range scopes and just get one amazing one. That being said my old Bushnell 6500 that I bought used works great for the hunting I do.

Some Cabelas Black points + a 10% Tuesday + some Raise.com gift cards + going thru your Active Junky will get you to the same price or less. I'm not a Cabelas fan but I know how to get what I need from them.

Last edited:

kickemall

WKR
This scope sounds like one I need BUT - I'm starting to go away from FFP scopes on certain hunting rifles because the reticle is unusable at low power, especially in low light, even with illuminated reticles. On my long range guns their fine as I generally have a little time to set them up and use them on the upper ends. But when most shots are going to be under 200 yds. in low light (Dawn, dusk, heavy timber) on low power I'm going back to SFP. So my question is how usable are the FFP reticles on most Vortex scopes as I've stayed away from them? This would be going on a gun used for everything from bucks getting up right in front of your to shooting out to 800+ on coyotes.

This scope sounds like one I need BUT - I'm starting to go away from FFP scopes on certain hunting rifles because the reticle is unusable at low power, especially in low light, even with illuminated reticles. On my long range guns their fine as I generally have a little time to set them up and use them on the upper ends. But when most shots are going to be under 200 yds. in low light (Dawn, dusk, heavy timber) on low power I'm going back to SFP. So my question is how usable are the FFP reticles on most Vortex scopes as I've stayed away from them? This would be going on a gun used for everything from bucks getting up right in front of your to shooting out to 800+ on coyotes.
Watch the DLO review of this scope. At low power, the illuminated portion of the reticle looks like a German #4.