Vortex Extreme - Gear Setup?

Hookem 74

FNG
OK.. so my Brother and I are looking at doing the Extreme this year.. would love to hear from some of you that have participated before.. Ongoing question to myself is which rifle to take... All of my setups are for hunting, so no adjustable stocks or anything, looking to have fun, not dominate the competition!!! Have a Christensen Arms in 6.5 Creedmoor, 257 WBY in a Bell and Carlson, or the heavy ol' 300 Ultra Sendero.. All have brakes, and 18-20X Leupold on them with dials set to loads. Have kills out to 500-900 yards with all of them on hogs. Just wanted to see what the consensus was. NAd how are the stages set up? Is it shoot til you hit, set number of shots, or time limit?
Also, as far as packs go. As far as I can tell, most are using a pack that the rifle is attached to in between stages. I have always shouldered when hunting on my few trips to the mountains hunting, but assume the sling weight will get very old very fast in this contest. Any suggestions?
I have the rangefinders, spotting scopes, bipods, bags, etc. Any other tips?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

mtnwrunner(Trandy)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
OK.. so my Brother and I are looking at doing the Extreme this year.. would love to hear from some of you that have participated before.. Ongoing question to myself is which rifle to take... All of my setups are for hunting, so no adjustable stocks or anything, looking to have fun, not dominate the competition!!! Have a Christensen Arms in 6.5 Creedmoor, 257 WBY in a Bell and Carlson, or the heavy ol' 300 Ultra Sendero.. All have brakes, and 18-20X Leupold on them with dials set to loads. Have kills out to 500-900 yards with all of them on hogs. Just wanted to see what the consensus was. NAd how are the stages set up? Is it shoot til you hit, set number of shots, or time limit?
Also, as far as packs go. As far as I can tell, most are using a pack that the rifle is attached to in between stages. I have always shouldered when hunting on my few trips to the mountains hunting, but assume the sling weight will get very old very fast in this contest. Any suggestions?
I have the rangefinders, spotting scopes, bipods, bags, etc. Any other tips?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

I've done it a few times and most folks carry too much gear IMO. Any of those rifles you would have would work fine----I'd take the most accurate one you have at the longer ranges. I use the eberlestock gunrunner pack and it works great and you have plenty of time to get your gear out when you come into the shooting station. Hits are more important then how fast you do it. We don't take a spotting scope and the ranges are pre set but a rangefinder comes in handy as some of them are off a wee bit. It varys from year to year on how much time you have but it is usually about 6 or 7 minutes for both of the shooters to get set up and shoot both of their targets and depending on which station, you shoot anywhere between 3 and 5 rounds. I take my rifle, ammo, rear bag, and that is about it.
Oh, and I use mountain canes (trekking poles) to get up and over the hills.

Randy

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Disregard, I looked up the rules and 338 lapua or smaller...

Not sure about this shoot but I know a lot of the shoots I've attended put a caliber limit at 300WM to preserve targets. I ended up selling my 300RUM and building a 308 and this was one of the big reasons why I did. Again no idea if that's the case for this shoot but sure would be disappointing to get there and be turned away from something like that.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hookem 74

FNG
Thanks for the info guys.. really looking forward to this, but do not want to get up there unprepared or under-equipped. Already have my training planned, as I have a 300yd range in the back yard.. going to set up the treadmill behind the shop, run a mountain program on it with elevation and speed changes, then stop and shoot every once in a while.. I know that won't get the distance down, but at least get the heart rate up to shoot.. who knows? mtnwrunner - are you going to go this year?

mtnwrunner(Trandy)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Thanks for the info guys.. really looking forward to this, but do not want to get up there unprepared or under-equipped. Already have my training planned, as I have a 300yd range in the back yard.. going to set up the treadmill behind the shop, run a mountain program on it with elevation and speed changes, then stop and shoot every once in a while.. I know that won't get the distance down, but at least get the heart rate up to shoot.. who knows? mtnwrunner - are you going to go this year?

Most likely. They sent out info last year by this time but I have not heard anything.

Randy

FYI---I have shot a 300 win mag and a 6.5 saum. I know a lot of guys there run the 6.5's.