Vortex Bino Questions

Jazzbo66

FNG
Question for you Vortex guys. I saw that Cabelas has a Viper HD that are “cabelas exclusive” for 300$ is there anything different than the other Vipers? Are they worth it? Also I think Academy sporting goods store has Eagle HD binos? Are these Diamondback rebranded for them? They are about the same price. I was looking to up grade before all the Xmas deals were gone. The only other one I say was Cabelas has the Diamondback had for 170$ any info?

This thread from last year should answer your questions. In my experience and opinion, yes they are a great pair of binoculars.

In any case, (based on previous sales and info from Vortex in the thread) they are previous spec version of the Viper HD's, with FOV being the main difference. Glass according to Vortex is the same. I picked up two pairs of the 10x42's over the past two sales they have had. They are as good as my Japan made Viper 12x50's with respect to comparing in different light, etc other than the magnification difference. I prefer the larger size of the 12x50's for my large hands, so they are my go-to for that reason.

The Diamondback 12x50 HD's my buddy has (I mention this in the thread above as well) do not hold a candle to my Viper 12x50's. Not even a race if one pair is that much better from the get-go. Not as crisp or defined in image quality, not as good edge to edge, some chromatic aberration with the Diamondbacks. It's what you would expect though comparing lower end binocs to the next level up. The Vipers are better glass and by a good amount in my use.

Much of what individuals experience or report, is just that, individual experience. I like the Vortex Vipers based on experience with the 12x50's I have used for years and the sale version of 10x42's. No strain on my eyes, good edge to edge, fine for me in low light. I have used both 10x42's and 12x50's in elk hunting (longer distance) in Colorado and shorter ranges for whitetails in North Carolina.

The 12x50's found a deer 210 yds across on a hillside at very low light this season in North Carolina that without them I never would have found. Then the Leupold VX3HD 3.5-10 did the rest...

Here is a test that shows the 10x42's being a solid performer. Not best, not worst, but good overall balance. At $299 they are a pretty good bet.

Last edited:
Yes those are the old Vipers and they leave a lot to be desired, the new vipers are pretty nice for the $$ though although they wouldn't be my pick in that price range. Those $170 Diamondbacks are the old diamondbacks and they absolutely suck. The newer HD's are pretty good for the $$ and the Leupold BX1's are comperable as well. I've got a pair of like new Diamondback 10x42HD listed on here for way less than you'll find them anywhere from a retailer.

In the sub $200 range I would buy the BX1's or find a deal on Diamondback HD's. More than that, look for a deal on BX4's. You can find them new for $400 a lot of time. There's a guy on here that has a new pair of 8x42 BX4's for $390 if they haven't sold, Euro Optic had some "like new demo" BX4 10x42's for $399 the other day, they were brand new sealed in in the plastic wrap, a couple of my buddies ordered some. Looks like they're gone now but if you call Jason and ask I bet he'd still sell you a pair for that.

Yes those are the old Vipers and they leave a lot to be desired, the new vipers are pretty nice for the $$ though although they wouldn't be my pick in that price range. Those $170 Diamondbacks are the old diamondbacks and they absolutely suck. The newer HD's are pretty good for the $$ and the Leupold BX1's are comperable as well. I've got a pair of like new Diamondback 10x42HD listed on here for way less than you'll find them anywhere from a retailer.

In the sub $200 range I would buy the BX1's or find a deal on Diamondback HD's. More than that, look for a deal on BX4's. You can find them new for $400 a lot of time. There's a guy on here that has a new pair of 8x42 BX4's for $390 if they haven't sold, Euro Optic had some "like new demo" BX4 10x42's for $399 the other day, they were brand new sealed in in the plastic wrap, a couple of my buddies ordered some. Looks like they're gone now but if you call Jason and ask I bet he'd still sell you a pair for that.
Can you share your experience with the sale version Viper HD 10x42's compared to the new Viper HD 10x42's? Looks like you have experience with different binocs and may have compared the two Vortex at one point in the field.

FWIW, in the thread from last year in my post above, I share that Vortex says they are the same grade glass as the current ones, just built to the previous spec.

With that said, the BX4 did well in the 26 Binocular test I copied the link to in my post above, no flies on them.

What element of binocs performance leads to eye strain? Such as the binocs don't open wide enough for a good eye position? I don't know, so I am curious.

My sale Viper 10x42's have not induced eye strain when I have alternated carrying them in the field with the 12x50 Vipers. And they compare optically very well other than the difference in magnification.

In general, get a great pair of binocs and a good scope. That would be my advice as not all folks can plop down the cash to do higher tier for both. As an example, I use my Viper 12x50's exponentially more in the field than I ever will the scope.

I worked at a major outdoor retailer 7 or 8 years back and it was interesting the money people spend on their scope then come asking for the best $99 binoculars. Never had a person asking for a good scope and backing it up with a great pair of binoculars.

For $299 based on my experience the sale Vipers are a good purchase for the performance with $499 being the target price to compare against others.

Can you share your experience with the sale version Viper HD 10x42's compared to the new Viper HD 10x42's? Looks like you have experience with different binocs and may have compared the two Vortex at one point in the field.

FWIW, in the thread from last year in my post above, I share that Vortex says they are the same grade glass as the current ones, just built to the previous spec.

With that said, the BX4 did well in the 26 Binocular test I copied the link to in my post above, no flies on them.

What element of binocs performance leads to eye strain? Such as the binocs don't open wide enough for a good eye position? I don't know, so I am curious.

My sale Viper 10x42's have not induced eye strain when I have alternated carrying them in the field with the 12x50 Vipers. And they compare optically very well other than the difference in magnification.

In general, get a great pair of binocs and a good scope. That would be my advice as not all folks can plop down the cash to do higher tier for both. As an example, I use my Viper 12x50's exponentially more in the field than I ever will the scope.

I worked at a major outdoor retailer 7 or 8 years back and it was interesting the money people spend on their scope then come asking for the best $99 binoculars. Never had a person asking for a good scope and backing it up with a great pair of binoculars.

For $299 based on my experience the sale Vipers are a good purchase for the performance with $499 being the target price to compare against others.

My first experience with them was ROing a match that was sponsored by Vortex and they provided binos and spotters for the stages and I got stuck with 10X42 Vipers. I used them the first day and they fatigued the shit out of my eyes. The second day I used my Vetronix Terrapin LRF as a monocular instead.

My buddy ended up with a pair of them off a prize table at another match that I would also use occasionally. They were the same.

I would not spend my money on viper anything. Even the new HD's there's better stuff in the price range. The Diamondback HD's are decent for the $$ but if you're used to nice glass like I am they leave a lot to be desired too, but I don't think that the original Vipers are any better than them in any way. The new Razor UHD's are supposed to be nice but you'd have to be insane to spend that amount of $$ on glass and not go Swaro or Zeiss.

I've used a lot of binos and I haven't found anything better than the BX4's for the value. I think they're as nice and nicer than some $1K binos. I buy BX4's or I spend the $$ for alpha tier, there is no in between.

Thanks for that, appreciate it. The BX-4 looks like it would be a great choice from your input and from the success with their scopes I have had.

Good observations.

Look at all the various threads on this site. We tend to have guns and "quality" (real or perceived) scopes for damn near any situation but when it comes to optics, we suddenly become overly frugal and figure one pair of binoculars and may be one spotting scope is/are good enough for all situations.

See the same with boots and sleeping bags.

We tend to splurge on something that is rarely used (gun/scope/ammo) and likely could do with "less". But we become cheap SOBs on things that literally can make or break a hunt. Folks love to skimp on boots but damn, if you cannot walk/hike you're likely done hunting. Quality optics can save a lot of boot wear and tear. Folks also love to skimp on sleeping bags/pads even though if you don't get quality sleep over a period of time, your hunt is going to suck.

Different priorities for different folks...

But for the OP and potentially others, look at the updated Razor HD binoculars (non-UHD). They should be a good value especially when they can be found for around $770 new.

68Plexi

WKR
Thanks for that, appreciate it. The BX-4 looks like it would be a great choice from your input and from the success with their scopes I have had.

The BX-4 is a great pair of binos. I liked their clarity more than both the Maven C series and Vortex Viper. At this end of the spectrum (sub $500), glass can be more subjective to different people’s eyes.

If you can look through them yourself (outside in lower light if possible) that’s usually a really good test for what your eyes like the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jazzbo66

Jazzbo66

FNG
So before my post got hijacked. Back to the 300$ vipers at Cabela’s. If you had a 50$ gift card and wanted to upgrade from the vortex talons. Would you buy them? Are they worth it?

68Plexi

WKR
So before my post got hijacked. Back to the 300$ vipers at Cabela’s. If you had a 50$ gift card and wanted to upgrade from the vortex talons. Would you buy them? Are they worth it?

I think a number of people have offered you advice on the Viper quality as well as some other options. The simple truth on binos is buy the best you can afford. If the Vipers are what you can afford, then great, they will be better than the Talons you currently have.

If you can afford a few hundred more, the BX-4’s (which can also be found at cabelas for you $50 gift card) will be better than the Vipers and much better than you Talons.

I think a number of people have offered you advice on the Viper quality as well as some other options. The simple truth on binos is buy the best you can afford. If the Vipers are what you can afford, then great, they will be better than the Talons you currently have.

If you can afford a few hundred more, the BX-4’s (which can also be found at cabelas for you $50 gift card) will be better than the Vipers and much better than you Talons.
I love my Vipers but I’ve never had the BX-4s.