Vivo forest tracker esc durability

dtrkyman

WKR
Jim Green/Rose Anvil African trooper have my attention. Would still like a goretex version of something similar!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Do you wear a five-toe liner sock under them, or just barefoot straight into the waterproof sock?

I’ll do both at times. If hiking a bunch I’ll wear an inner sock. If I know I am going to be soaked, usually not.

Lawnboi

WKR
I ordered some seal skins to use with my vivos if I need them this fall.

I’m going to give them a go. Got some Jim greens too but I don’t see the sole being aggressive enough some of the time atleast.

OP
H
Upgrading packs, tents, guns optics etc is one thing and I can usually go without upgrading.

However, boots/shoes are something different. My wife is going to kill me

ElPollo

WKR
Well there you go. Tracker’s with rands with no leaky through stitching. A leather and a synthetic upper. They’re claiming increased waterproofness.
Those do not have the same beefy sole that the ESC version has. It’s thinner and more flexible. For me, I want to stay with the ESCs because the soles are less prone to punctures and I prefer a more flexible and looser heel cup.

sz28

FNG
Anyone with heavy cactus experience and these boots?
I've worn the esc forest for about 6 months now in the AZ desert, and while I can't say for sure whether or not I've stomped through a bunch cactus, I have bushwhacked probably 20+ miles off trail without experiencing punctures in central AZ.

ElPollo

WKR
Anyone with heavy cactus experience and these boots?
I added an insole cut from oak tanned saddle leather to mine to try to keep the mesquite and cactus out. So far so good, but quail season in November will really tell the tail. One thing about that insole is that it’s slick and your toes hit the end of the boot on steep downhills. I am considering cutting a new set of insoles and putting them in flesh side up to reduce that.

My guess is that you might be safe with jumping/teddy bear cholla on the soles, but I could see it getting through the toes and the top of the foot. Glad I don’t have that stuff over here. It’s awful stuff.