Viht N560 & 7 PRC

Shooter Mike

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any experience with N560 in 7 PRC with 168 - 180gr bullets? More specifically, down a 22" barrel and suppressed.
Gun is on order with an expected arrival date in July, so I have just a bit more time to think things through. Powders being hard to come by and increasing in price, I'd like to be selective on my decisions.. At this point, it is my only magnum cartridge rifle, so I have no powders other than 8lbs of N560 for it at this point. I'm thinking a faster burning magnum powder like N560 would be most appropriate for the 22" barrel. Am also considering 4831SC- would that be better suited for 18 & 20" barrels, you think?
Thanks!

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
I’m having a 20 inch 7PRC built that will have a suppressor also. From what I’ve seen on some of the forums it sounds like H1000 works well. And some people are having good results with N570.

OP
S

Shooter Mike

Lil-Rokslider
I’m having a 20 inch 7PRC built that will have a suppressor also. From what I’ve seen on some of the forums it sounds like H1000 works well. And some people are having good results with N570.
Thanks. H1000 sounds like a great powder. my hesitancy with it is, it's slower burn rate and the 22" barrel. I could be way off base, but I'm thinking H1000 might be best for 24" and longer barrels in terms of 100% burn before reaching the end of the barrel.

@Shooter Mike I’ve been postulating the same question. I’ve got a 20” 7PRC and am looking to optimize the powder burn for the rifle. I ran it thru GRT to get an idea and it appears to be a viable option, however I’m hesitant to make that jump since I have H1000 and Staball HD in the cabinet.

OP
S

Shooter Mike

Lil-Rokslider
@Shooter Mike I’ve been postulating the same question. I’ve got a 20” 7PRC and am looking to optimize the powder burn for the rifle. I ran it thru GRT to get an idea and it appears to be a viable option, however I’m hesitant to make that jump since I have H1000 and Staball HD in the cabinet.

Thanks. I need to figure out how to get GRT running on my Mac. I wish it was web based.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Shooter Mike

Lil-Rokslider
@philcox I have a new gun and I'm actually working with it right now. Small sample sizes, but SD/ES with the Berger 175 EH is sub 10, whereas the ES/SD with the 175 ELD-X is low teens.
Peterson Brass, 9 1/2M Primers

in a 22" barrel, 5 shots groups, mid 80's outside temperature:
65.5gr avg velocity 2827 (7.2 / 21.3) with Berger Elite Hunter 175
66.5gr avg velocity 2901 (9.1 / 25.5) with Berger Elite Hunter 175
65.0gr avg velocity 2881 (15.6 / 37.2) with Hornady 175 ELD-X
66.0gr avg velocity 2947 (11.6 / 35.2) with Hornady 175 ELD-X

That data is at book listed COAL.

I'm going out again tomorrow to spend some more time with the EH and ELD-X loads, experimenting with seating depths. I'm not a seating depth chaser, and my jumps are in 0.040" increments - I do it more for working with pressure. And these rounds I've used Neo-Lube on the inside necks, whereas the info above, the bullets were seated without inside neck lube.

Last edited:

philcox

WKR
Did anyone try N565 also? If so, why settle on N560? I have heard a ton on N570, but was thinking the N565 or N560 might be a bit better for monos.

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
Did anyone try N565 also? If so, why settle on N560? I have heard a ton on N570, but was thinking the N565 or N560 might be a bit better for monos.
I haven't shot mono's but got better velocity with 560 over 565. Never tried any 570 wasn't any locally

I've just started with 560 and 180 berger hybrid in my 7mm prc- 22".
Accuracy has been excellent around 65.5 gr.
Velocity a bit slow.. not sure why.. 2800 or so.
No pressure signs so going to keep working up and see what happens.

OP
S

Shooter Mike

Lil-Rokslider
I've just started with 560 and 180 berger hybrid in my 7mm prc- 22".
Accuracy has been excellent around 65.5 gr.
Velocity a bit slow.. not sure why.. 2800 or so.
No pressure signs so going to keep working up and see what happens.

FWIW, at 66.5gr in my 22” barrel, I’m averaging 2951 with the 175gr Berger EH with N560.

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
I got more speed with less powder after resizing my brass. I ran 100 pieces of new Peterson around max good velocity then was way over pressure after resizing. 65 is all more mine likes now with 162s an gold medal match magnum primers. Thought about using a couple match large rifle just to see. I know the reloader 23 seems more consistent with it

OP
S

Shooter Mike

Lil-Rokslider
I got more speed with less powder after resizing my brass. I ran 100 pieces of new Peterson around max good velocity then was way over pressure after resizing. 65 is all more mine likes now with 162s an gold medal match magnum primers. Thought about using a couple match large rifle just to see. I know the reloader 23 seems more consistent with it

That’s a good point that I haven’t thought much about- new vs. fire formed brass and charge weights. For this gun, I bought 150 pieces of Peterson brass, and have shot 125 of them so far. After this next 30 I’m hoping to get it as dialed in as I’m capable of doing, with fine tuning charge weights, neck tension, and seating depth, following Berger’s recommended process of 0.040” jumps. So far, the gun has liked 0.030 and 0.120” jump, and 0.002” neck tension with Neo-Lube.

I’m fairly new to reloading (just a little over 3 years), and very new to reloading anything with precision. All of my semi-auto stuff has been done on an XL-750, but the bolt action stuff has been on a Frankford Arsenal M Press and F1, and I’ve only been at that for a few months now. I haven’t had the best of luck with consistency on the two FA presses. Ordered a SAC Nexus last night.

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
I'm newer than that to reloading lol. I talked myself into 22 Creedmoor last year an already had stuff for but made myself commit to it. I got Peterson cause everyone said Hornady brass got loose primer pockets an they definitely aren't as tight as Peterson but I had nothing blow out. I was able to run a little hotter with Hornady brass I think due to brass thickness. 65gr is all more mine likes but running 2900 with am 18 inch barrel I'm more than happy. My gun seems to be happy at 20 off lands

OP
S

Shooter Mike

Lil-Rokslider
I'm newer than that to reloading lol. I talked myself into 22 Creedmoor last year an already had stuff for but made myself commit to it. I got Peterson cause everyone said Hornady brass got loose primer pockets an they definitely aren't as tight as Peterson but I had nothing blow out. I was able to run a little hotter with Hornady brass I think due to brass thickness. 65gr is all more mine likes but running 2900 with am 18 inch barrel I'm more than happy. My gun seems to be happy at 20 off lands

I do have some Hornady brass for 7mm-08 that I first started with in January for learning to reloading for a bolt gun. Can confirm- loose primer pockets. Can shake the primers back and forth in a few pieces of brass.

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
I do have some Hornady brass for 7mm-08 that I first started with in January for learning to reloading for a bolt gun. Can confirm- loose primer pockets. Can shake the primers back and forth in a few pieces of brass.

I never had anything that loose. The Peterson was tight for sure. I bought Alpha SRP for my Creedmoor an it was very tight. Definitely a reason you pay more for the brass. I wanted ADG but wasn't in stock.