Velvet Euro mount. When and how to clean skull?

Wodez

FNG
Hey from Australia.
I have a fallow deer I just shot in velvet, with 2 or 3 soft tips.
Wondering how and when to clean the skull (leaving velvet)
Do I simmer and pressure wash first like I normally would and then start velvet treatment asap?

Going to try a diy treatment. Who has had success or failures with painting or soaking velvet in borax, denatured alcohol or similar?

Thanks

Last edited:

HiMtnHntr

WKR
If you don't want the velvet to come off consider cutting out the skull cap and reattaching it after you clean the skull. Or you could cut the antlers off individually and reattach them with a screw from the bottom when done. That's the only way to be sure the velvet won't get damaged cleaning the skull. I have done a few this way.

I haven't tried treating the velvet by methods you mention.

Definitely cut the antlers off. Cut right below the antler burrs. I usually make a small round counter sink hole in the back then cut right through that. Line up the two half moons when reattaching the antlers. You can also cut through the pedacles by making a “v” cut through them. I wouldn’t use borax to preserve the velvet, especially if the tips are soft. They need to be injected and push the blood out of the tips. You can also find a taxidermist that has access to a freeze dryer. Once you cut them off then it’s easier to put them in a freezer until you can preserve the velvet. Also, when attaching, drill holes into the pedicle and antlers. Use a piece of all thread cut to length and use bondo or epoxy to reattach in the holes and around the all thread. I did a lot of euros and antler plaques this way. I injected them until I was able to get freeze dryers.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I used velvet lock when it was first killed after skinning the hide off the skull. I wrapped the velvet with Saran Wrap and tin foil before boiling and pressure washing and was careful with it. It turned out fine.

OP
W

Wodez

FNG
I ended up wrapping the bottoms section of antler in aluminum foil before simmering and pressure washing skull. If I read your replies earlier I might have just cut them off. Would have made it easier.

Started treating with mentholated spirits by painting on and injecting tips.