Vane Weight

Has anyone had experiences with weighing out each vane that comes in a package and finding the weights vary up to 1.5 grains? If so, have you found a difference in arrow flight with using different vane weights? Or am I just overthinking this and dove too deep down the rabbit hole?

Geologist

FNG
When I was into building my own arrows I weighed all components and strived to build a dozen all within 1.5 grains. Not sure if it mattered but it made me feel better. The bad news was when I missed it was because I sucked.

This is one of the only areas I don’t obsess. When I build a couple dozen arrows it’s a long process of making sure everything is perfect from squaring the ends to the final touch. I’ve never bothered weighing everything out and typically find my finished arrows will vary within about four or five grains. I haven’t found any difference in impact even at long range. If it gives you more confidence then I’d encourage you to do it. But I’ve not found any reason to.

I’ve been anal about arrow weight consistency and I’ve not cared one bit. Never saw a substantial accuracy difference inside of 100 yard or shooting broadheads between the two and not caring as much has saved a lot of headache and time. Don’t sweat petty stuff. As long as the arrows are all within a 5 grain spread I wouldn’t worry one bit.

Bump79

WKR
I personally have found some differences in different colors with some brands. To me, it kind of bothers me as I picture that weight being like a tire out of balance. I don't worry about a few grains differences between arrows but I try to match the vanes close.

I have not found much variation in the weight of AAE max stealths. I weight sort everything but haven’t been able to tell that it makes a difference on target.

I'm currently doing some testing with AAE Hybrid 23 and 26 vanes. I do see variations of weight in both sizes (respectively). Three Hybrid 23's weigh roughly 17gr, and three 26's weigh roughly 24gr. Using field points up to 90yds, there is no discernable difference.

I shoot three arrows with the 23's and three arrows with the 26's, in one string. They group together, shooting conditions and my own abilities depending. With broadheads of course the Hybrid 26 works better, but that's a whole other discussion. In my opinion, any deviation you see will be your own imagination, not those few grains of difference.