vacuum sealer uses beyond Meat processing/Storage....?

pirogue

WKR
I seal granular poison, that has been divided into smaller portions. Has an odor to it and you don’t want it out in a hot garage or shed.

Dschwan

WKR
I'm intrigued by this. Do you pack spare bearings and then vac seal? Or something else?
I would put the grease on the bearing slide it into the bag and vacuum seal it. This forces the grease into the bearing without having to manually pack it by putting the grease in your palm and pushing the grease into the cage. You can also just leave them in the sealed bag as a spare that is ready to go in case the need pops up on a long trip with your trailer. I stole this idea from an off road show that was on TNN years ago.

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
I would put the grease on the bearing slide it into the bag and vacuum seal it. This forces the grease into the bearing without having to manually pack it by putting the grease in your palm and pushing the grease into the cage. You can also just leave them in the sealed bag as a spare that is ready to go in case the need pops up on a long trip with your trailer. I stole this idea from an off road show that was on TNN years ago.
Very interesting. I'll have to give that a try, seems much easier and cleaner than using your palm. I usually keep spare packed bearings in tuberware containers but like the idea of keeping them in sealed bags. I'll have to give this a try, thanks for the tip!

Marinades, leftovers, soups for later, cheeses, if something happened to my sealer it would be replaced immediately.
It's not cheap but we put it through the finger each year and I wouldn't downgrade it at all.

Rich M

WKR
Sky is the limit. You can seal stuff in a plastic straw.

The idea of sealing meals goes back a ways. Fished w an old guy back in the early 80s who’s wife would seal his meals. Hed boil em to heat. Made a show outta having a hot plate of food.

You can vac seal bulky items you want smaller such as wool socks or gauze. You can of course vac seal any food item, depending on your sealer. Mine does soups and such well, then lay flat in the freezer and they stack well. I have opened freeze dried meals prior to a hunt and vac sealed them. This does two things, it eliminates bulky packaging and the food will still be good for a few weeks; and it lets you add seasoning or fats, such as putting a pad of butter in oatmeal.

For long term storage, you could even vac seal guns.
I have vac-sealed spare beanie and wool socks for the bottom of my pack, they will be dry when I need them.
I would also seal game bags, anything dry and bulky.

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
We vac seal salad so it's lasts a little longer, refried beans into portions, 10# tube of Ground beef into usable portions, 15# of bacon into 1# packs, my dehydrated hunting meals, game bags, socks/undies, salted bait for the halibut, frozen broth, food ill take with on a car camp trip soni can just boil water and heat my meal sous vide style and then use the water for coffee

taskswap

WKR
Non-food idea here. I seal my field-dressing kits. After washing my game bags (with just a few drops of bleach to kill bacteria) I'll fold those, add a few paper towels, a pair of gloves, 20' of bank line, and a spare blade for my Talon, and vac-seal those. It keeps them clean and fresh til next season, they pack much smaller that way, and I can just throw a "packet" in my pack when I'm setting out.

Lately I've also started doing this with a pair of socks. I go through socks like you wouldn't believe and this helps them pack smaller too. It's total overkill, but I'm standing right there at the machine...