VacMaster VP215 vs VP230

TxLite

WKR
Planning to upgrade my foodsaver and think I’m ready to bite the bullet on a chamber sealer.

Does anybody have experience with both of these VacMaster units? Is the 230 worth the additional $300?

I’ve read the specs on both but I can’t see where the slightly larger 230 commands an additional $300 aside from the more powerful motor?

I generally do 2-3 deer a year and quite a bit of fish and leftovers.

I don't think so. I have a VP210 at my place in Alaska and we pack hundreds of pounds every year. Unless you use really small bags you will not get two bags in at a time. For us we like smaller portions anyway so the 12 inch bar would not matter. Having a bar big enough for 2 bags at once would be great though.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I have a VP215 and love it. I only wish I had gone with 230 with a 12" bar as I use a lot of 6" wide bags. I could do 2 at a time then. Didn't realize that when I bought the 215.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
I have a VP215 and love it. I only wish I had gone with 230 with a 12" bar as I use a lot of 6" wide bags. I could do 2 at a time then. Didn't realize that when I bought the 215.
Being able to do 2 at the same time would be great

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
Anybody know what the 215 normally runs? I see it for $979 on Amazon but Webstaurant store has them for $779.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have the 230 and a buddy has the 215. We haven’t compared them side by side but this sealer should last me 20-30 years so I don’t care about an extra couple hundred bucks. I did 2 elk, 5 antelope, 3 deer last year and it was smooth sailing. I double up bags as well using the 12” bar.

Don’t skimp on the bags. 4mm minimum. They still have sim pin holes from rough handling once they’re in the freezer and frozen.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
I have the 230 and a buddy has the 215. We haven’t compared them side by side but this sealer should last me 20-30 years so I don’t care about an extra couple hundred bucks. I did 2 elk, 5 antelope, 3 deer last year and it was smooth sailing. I double up bags as well using the 12” bar.

Don’t skimp on the bags. 4mm minimum. They still have sim pin holes from rough handling once they’re in the freezer and frozen.
So what I gather is the main benefit of the 230 is the ability to run 2 6” bags simultaneously and not necessarily the extra depth and bigger motor?

Running 2 would be nice considering the longer cycle time on these units.

Ucsdryder

WKR
So what I gather is the main benefit of the 230 is the ability to run 2 6” bags simultaneously and not necessarily the extra depth and bigger motor?

I think all of the above matter.

duchntr

WKR

Yes, sums up my take as well from my use on my 215.

BBob

WKR
I was waffling on a 215 vs 230. After several discussions here I decided to save some $$$ and went for the 215. It’s been great so far and haven’t once wished I got the 230. The only 6” I do is some zip loc bags for dehydrated stuff and repackaging larger commercial bagged products. My main bags for sausages and ground are 8” bags so with either sealer it’s one at a time. Sausages don’t fit in 6” and I do a lot of those.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Anybody know what the 215 normally runs? I see it for $979use the heavier bags too. $ on Amazon but Webstaurant store has them for $779.
Vacuum sealers unlimited has them for $779 with free shipping. I buy all my bags from them. I like to check their site regularly when I need bags as they often have free shipping on them also. I use the heavier bags also, 4 and 5 mil. I've ran close to 10K through my 215 now over close to 12 years with no problems. Just watch the little oil glass and when it starts to turn color, change it.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
Just watch the little oil glass and when it starts to turn color, change it.
I appreciate the tip. I know it calls for the oil to be changed every few months but it’s not something I’ll be using on a daily or weekly basis.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Ha! You say that now. Just wait until you have one ;)
This is a true statement. My wife and I go through mass quantities of spices. We buy them in bulk and vacuum seal them in small 5X7 bags. Buying in bulk can save you 80-90% of what they cost in the little bottles at the grocery store. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

BBob

WKR
That's just the tip of the iceberg.

So true!

To add: The large quantity Costco dilemma goes out the window once you have a chamber vac sealer :)

They aren’t limited to food either. Sucking down an already small emergency blanket to really small, waterproofing and packaging fire starter kits, etc… It’s almost endless.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Yes, if you are a Costco junkie (like us) a chamber sealer is your friend.

One thing I do is vacuum seal 3-4 clorox wipes to have with my kill kit for cleaning up your hands after gutting or butchering. They stay wet that way and don't smell. It is nearly endless.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
So true!

To add: The large quantity Costco dilemma goes out the window once you have a chamber vac sealer :)

They aren’t limited to food either. Sucking down an already small emergency blanket to really small, waterproofing and packaging fire starter kits, etc… It’s almost endless.
Yes, if you are a Costco junkie (like us) a chamber sealer is your friend.

One thing I do is vacuum seal 3-4 clorox wipes to have with my kill kit for cleaning up your hands after gutting or butchering. They stay wet that way and don't smell. It is nearly endless.
This damn forum costs me so much money lol

NRA4LIFE

WKR
One thing I want to add is about the bags. I buy in mass quantities, 500 and usually 1000. They are a fraction of the cost of food saver bags (don't let anyone tell you otherwise). My 215 has probably paid for itself twice over in bag savings.

I love my VP215. Heavy but love to have it when processing fish or game. Agree with above about saving money on buying bags in bulk. I do love the thicker bags too