Utah

I potentially have an opportunity to do my residency training in Salt Lake City and was wondering what the process is for establishing residency in terms of hunting and difficulty in getting a public land mule deer tag as a resident. I’m a Texas guy and the only western hunting I’ve ever done is spring turkeys in NM and Colorado. Also, couple different items in classifieds caught my eye and trying to get post count up haha

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t remember what the timing is like for residency but general archery deer tags can be had for 0-1 point. You would be advised to buy a point this year regardless because once you are a resident, the point is still there. In 2012 I applied as a non-resident, moved there and then ended up drawing weeks later when someone turned in a tag. Worked out great.

CorbLand

WKR
Believe you have to be in the state for 12 consecutive months to gain residency.

Would suggest buying a NR license and getting started on the points this year or even trying to draw if you can afford the out of state tag cost.

Utah hunting opportunities aren’t great to be honest. Deer are most definitely struggling but if you did an archery tag, you could hunt the front on the extended season. Depending on how much you want to travel and where you want to hunt, archery tags can be had in the 0-2 point range. Muzzleloader 1-3 point. Rifle 3-7 point range.

GambelOak

FNG
From the DWR site it is 6 months. https://wildlife.utah.gov/utah-resident.html. That six months needs to take place before the draw closes. I got screwed and was in limbo land the first year I moved to Salt Lake City. I didn't time my six months and missed deer season. There are some nuances if you are considered a full time student while doing your residency. Then it is only 60 days. All the details are in that link. Good luck, time it right if you have the flexibility.

I moved to Salt Lake City from Idaho a year and an half ago for my wife’s schooling. Residency took 6 months and the huntings been amazing despite what the locals will say. Feel free to message me with any questions.

Sled

WKR
I potentially have an opportunity to do my residency training in Salt Lake City and was wondering what the process is for establishing residency

It's not that bad. You'll eat a lot of green jello and funeral potatoes, drink "dirty" soda and learn some new phrases like "oh my heck". Oh, and don't get excited about going to a stake house, it's not what you think.

After you're 6 months into your residency you'll establish residency. Are you going to be working at IMC or the U?

CorbLand

WKR
It's not that bad. You'll eat a lot of green jello and funeral potatoes, drink "dirty" soda and learn some new phrases like "oh my heck". Oh, and don't get excited about going to a stake house, it's not what you think.

After you're 6 months into your residency you'll establish residency. Are you going to be working at IMC or the U?
Funeral potatoes and I15 North are the best things to come out of Utah.

I moved to Salt Lake City from Idaho a year and an half ago for my wife’s schooling. Residency took 6 months and the huntings been amazing despite what the locals will say. Feel free to message me with any questions.
Agree, don't listen to all the negativity out there, It is everywhere. You can have a ball hunting out here.