Using my XLR Tikka LA for my 6.5CM

philcox

WKR
I currently have my 6.5 in a Mesa Precision. I’d like to swap in/out with my 7PRC that is in my XLR. I believe I can, by doing the following:
1. Change the bolt stop to LA
2. Get a magazine that will hold the 6.5 rounds, and my current one will not?

Is this possible? If so, am I missing anything.

Why do it? I’d like to shoot the Chassi more, but don’t want to eat up my 7PRC ammo (used the RL26 unicorn pixie dust)

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I currently have my 6.5 in a Mesa Precision. I’d like to swap in/out with my 7PRC that is in my XLR. I believe I can, by doing the following:
1. Change the bolt stop to LA
2. Get a magazine that will hold the 6.5 rounds, and my current one will not?

Is this possible? If so, am I missing anything.

Why do it? I’d like to shoot the Chassi more, but don’t want to eat up my 7PRC ammo (used the RL26 unicorn pixie dust)
You will need to swap over the bolt stop and get a 3.560" 3006 magazine. Running 6.5 in that mag might require some tuning but guys one here have had good luck! Let us know if you have any questions.

Macintosh

WKR
@XLR , I had understood a 7prc is in the chassis, and a different gun—a 6.5creedmoor—is going into the chassis. If so, I assume the mag suggestion is because the chassis only takes aics or another mag system, and is LA or SA specific. Does the magazine retention spring on the 6.5 action need to be removed for this?

if its a 6.5 action going into the chassis why change the bolt stop? Or does it need the full length bolt throw to clear the LA mag, even though its a sa cartridge?

OP sorry if I steered you wrong!

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
@XLR , I had understood a 7prc is in the chassis, and a different gun—a 6.5creedmoor—is going into the chassis. If so, I assume the mag suggestion is because the chassis only takes aics or another mag system, and is LA or SA specific. Does the magazine retention spring on the 6.5 action need to be removed for this?

if its a 6.5 action going into the chassis why change the bolt stop? Or does it need the full length bolt throw to clear the LA mag, even though its a sa cartridge?

OP sorry if I steered you wrong!
I think you are right, as I understand it:
1. New bolt stop for longer throw (to get to the indent)
2. New Mag, because my 300WM mag ear's can't be adjusted enough to hold the 6.5 round, whereas the 3006 one should be. A standard 6.5 AICS mag will be too short for the mag inlet, so need the one.

Reactions: XLR