Using full feature rain pants as do it all pants?

Using full feature rain pants as do it all pants?

The new storm tight rain pants that are released has me thinking of running rain pants as my primary pants summer through fall, does anyone do this?

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Unless you live in a rain forest, i wouldn't. You will sweat way too much because even though they are a soft shell, they are still rain gear. The zippers do help with venting, but it won't be enough to make a real difference IMO.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I should also add this, haven't used any of First Lite's rain gear. However, soft shell rain gear all works on the same principals, and that is why I haven't ever used it for every day use.

Poser

WKR
Unless you live in a rainy climate that remains consistently chilly, I'm not so sure the technology is there yet. The KUIU Yukon line could certainly meet requirement, but only if you have cool temps.

I have some Rivers West soft shell, waterproof pants that I often wear as general hunting pants on day hunts in the winter, but only if it is cold and, for backpack hunting, I would consider them too heavy. Also, if they do get wet inside, say crossing a river or in a sustained, super humid climate, they'll never dry like as fast as a shell. -not a problem on day hunts, big problem on backpack hunts.

OP
Cactus kid
So would wearing merino boxers and a pair of nylon backpacking pants instead of long johns and keep the pants in the pack for cold/wet be a better option?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So would wearing merino boxers and a pair of nylon backpacking pants instead of long johns and keep the pants in the pack for cold/wet be a better option?

I always wear base layers when hunting for moisture control........whether it's 100 degrees or below 0. And nylon is too noisy for my preferences, as are most rain pants and jackets as well.

it might be best to start at square one and you tell us the temps and weather youre expecting to hunt in, or even just the area and season.
i would bet theres a combo like the kryptek valhalla and poseidon pants that would work well depending on your specifics.

for me, my go to last season was sitka ascent shorts with lightweight full zip rain pants.

Stid2677

WKR
I wear my Kuiu Chagach jacket this way all the time. I hardly ever run a soft shell anymore, it breaths fine, have worn it like this hot and cold for weeks at a time. I wear the pants a lot when walking through wet brush, but I use my pocket a lot so I still wear my attack pants.

Rizzy

WKR
I was wearing my chugach pants for an outer layer in the early spring and fall with good results. It's especially beneficial when the ground is wet from rain or snow. Sitting and glassing or crawling in and out of your shelter will get you wet fast even when the sun is up in the case of snow on the ground. It worked great, but the lack of pockets is a PIA. Also your outer layer takes a beating so unless you have the coin or hook ups to get new rain gear more frequently it's probably not the best way to go all the time. This is what keeps me from going this way all the time. Some of the new rain gear might be able to handle it, but it hasn't been out long enough to really know yet.