Using bear attractant scents

maverick351

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone had any luck or have any recommendations? Cant bait or use a food source but can use scents.

Bryan B

FNG
Gel scents work great. There are several companies that make them. I have only used Bear Scents.

https://bearscents.com/product/gel-bear-attractants/

You can make your own spray scents too very cheaply. Buy some shellfish oil or beaver castor or other scented oil (check state regs on what you can and can't use) from a place that sells lures or oils for trapping and mix with vegetable oil. Put in a spray bottle and then spray around bait site or area you are hunting.

ledflight

WKR
"Anise oil (black licorice) is widely known as the best bear lure, “wrinkling the black bear’s nose in fits of desire,” yet through our testing we found skunk essence, shellfish essence, fermented egg essence, liquid smoke / baconoil, cheese essence, cherry oil, and beaver castor were preferred over this licorice scent. "

-The effectiveness of a variety of scent lures were tested by conducting experiments with captive grizzly and coastal brown bears at Washington State University, the Grizzly Discovery Center, and Northwest Trek in Washington State. -

I made one with anise, Liquid Smoke (calorie free brand per New York State) and cinnamon but didn't get to test last season.

JLH208

WKR
Does burning honey count as a food source? It’s a very effective tool and cheap! If you burn it to ashes in a pot with a lid you can pack it out, may be worth a call to your game department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure where your located but here in California if you put the scent on something (log, rock, the ground, etc.) that becomes a “food source”. It has to be something that’s dispersed into the air. Never tried any scents but I’m definitely interested in others experiences.