Useable lifetime of Seek Outside Titanium wood stove?

Dools009

FNG
New to rokslide. Am getting more into hunting and hot tenting and everyone I have talked to has pointed me in you alls direction. Looking forward to learning from you guys. Long time contributor over at backpackinglight under the same alias - dools009.

I've got a heavier stainless wood stove in my sil-tipi (Helpsort Levanger 12-14) and am thinking about making the move to a seek outside SXL or XL to keep the packed size and weight down.

What have your experiences been with the longevity of the titanium after years of use with these SO stoves? Obviously any metal has a limited lifetime in a stove, but wondering how it holds up compared to thicker walled stainless non-folding models similar to what I'm used to.

Are these stoves a 5 year investment if you are using them 20 days a year or are people getting more life out of em?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this has been discussed before. I did my digging and couldn't find any good discussion of useable life.

Cheers,
Brendan

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That is an open ended question. The life of a sheet metal stove is how long before the bottom rusts out. This is why people put a layer of insulating sand in their steel stoves, to lower the temp in the bottom to keep it from rusting quickly.

We're using grade 2 titanium for the bodies, 30 gauge. Melting temp over 3000°F. Most stainless has a melting temp around 2500°F. Titanium doesn't rust.

With long term usage the bottom may start to bow and you may see some warpage, but they can usually be bent back to shape.

If you're running a stove 20 days a year I'd expect many years of service.

I haven't seen a stove wear out. I suspect it's more likely to destroy one by mechanical injury like pack animal wreck, bear trying to eat bacon grease off it, etc.

Legs and hardware may need to be replaced after several years but that is easy to do.

OP
D

Dools009

FNG
Great thats exactly the info I was looking for. Not really into the so ultralight that things don't last scene. Good to hear that people are getting a good lifetime out of there stoves. Thanks for you help

sneaky

"DADDY"
Great thats exactly the info I was looking for. Not really into the so ultralight that things don't last scene. Good to hear that people are getting a good lifetime out of there stoves. Thanks for you help
RockChucker works for Seek Outside so he's a good one to listen to. The owner of SO is on here as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bcimport

WKR
Mine is 5 years old and has probably been burned 40-50 times (twice a day maybe more per trip) and shows no signs of failing. It’s been glowing orange hot too. It’s a little discoloured and has a couple wrinkles but I have no doubt it’s good for at least another 5 years of similar use.