Use of pyramid tents in rainy environments

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
For me the pros don't outweigh the cons of tipi tents. I bought a Hilleberg Niak and have never been happier with a shelter
I have seen the below sequence play out in my life in various incarnations:

"I'm going ultralight and dual use my raingear poncho and 2sq. ft piece of Tyvek to save weight. I'm the second coming of Ray Jardine. Hilleberg gear is too heavy bro!"

(various attempts to save weight only to find misery and despair)

"I finally bought a Hilleberg. I had to ride out a ferocious storm and I was dry and protected without any drama. Why didn't I do this from the start? Worth every penny!"

Last edited:

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Your experience echos mine. They can be good in the right environments.

I had the idea of a stand-alone floor with mosquito netting attaching to the walls of a tipi style tent. It would aid in ventilation, keep it mostly bug and critter free and most of all keep condensation to a minimum due to stopping it coming from the ground/vegetation. Funny enough, after asking SO about it a year or so ago and being told they wouldn’t do that… now look.
I like my Tipi tent, but I have upgraded to Tentipi with the liner. This is too heavy for hiking, but really awesome for motorized camping. I think for non-breathable fabric tipis, I would want a dedicated full liner that is not an afterthought. It must have an attached bathtub floor with proper lining that is water resistant to stop condensation droplets from coming through.

I had an SO Cimmaron and sold it just because the liner options were pretty bad at the time and it was just a really damp experience unless you were using a stove.

I had an SO Cimmaron and sold it just because the liner options were pretty bad at the time and it was just a really damp experience unless you were using a stove.

I think they are constructed well and have their place… I also think they’re overhyped a good bit too. I live in western Washington, even when it’s dry it’s really not… and oftentimes especially during hunting seasons it’s not dry at all.

The best luck I’ve had with it was set up on some pine duff in a cluster of trees on top of a ridge. The constant wind kept the walls fairly free of condensation, but this was also August/September timeframe when it was at its “driest”. A month later on a different ridge was a completely different story - the only place to pitch was on some grass. I had the stove with me at the time and I would’ve been drenched without it. Also - it wasn’t raining and was clear.

Which is why I was wondering how it would perform with a floor. I realize we breathe out a lot of moisture but you can’t tell me the ground(and what may be on it) doesn’t contribute. Perhaps if the ground could be taken out of the equation it would be more manageable with a different pitch.

"I'm going ultralight and dual use my raingear poncho and 2sq. ft piece of Tyvek to save weight. I'm the second coming of Ray Jardine. Hilleberg gear is too heavy bro!"
Haha, I feel like every person goes through this at the beginning because lighter makes more sense.

I know when I first picked up backpacking over a decade ago I remember reading all the UL stuff at the time. Dual use my down jacket for a pillow! Thermarest XLite! A coffin for a tent all I’m using it for is to sleep!

Then you realize that everyone sleeps differently, and just because some UL guy online can sleep directly on the ground with no issues doesn’t mean you can, too. Then you figure out what works while being “weight conscious”. UL guys would probably blow up when they see a 12oz pillow is part of my gear. Trust me I’ve tried lighter it don’t work for me.

OP
O
Does adding a half liner/nest negate the moisture effects of the single wall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Haha, I feel like every person goes through this at the beginning because lighter makes more sense.

I know when I first picked up backpacking over a decade ago I remember reading all the UL stuff at the time. Dual use my down jacket for a pillow! Thermarest XLite! A coffin for a tent all I’m using it for is to sleep!

Then you realize that everyone sleeps differently, and just because some UL guy online can sleep directly on the ground with no issues doesn’t mean you can, too. Then you figure out what works while being “weight conscious”. UL guys would probably blow up when they see a 12oz pillow is part of my gear. Trust me I’ve tried lighter it don’t work for me.
I used to be part of a hiking group and we banned UL hikers because they were always woefully unprepared and would want to borrow everyone else's gear.

We called them: "Ultra Moochers"

Most of the UL hikers you see on YouTube are only camping in fine weather situations. Camping under a tiny tarp or minimalist shelter in bad weather can put you in serious risk.

In fact, when people ask me what the most important piece of survival equipment is for hiking I tell them: "A good tent."

That's because what kills people is exposure to the elements. Especially if they get injured, etc. and have to wait. You need to stay dry and warm regardless of the weather and a lot of these lightweight shelters don't do that.

I'd honestly rather bring less food with me to save weight on a long hike than skimp on my shelter.

Last edited:

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Does adding a half liner/nest negate the moisture effects of the single wall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are all hacks in my experience. I'd just get a properly designed from the ground up dual wall shelter. I strongly suggest Hilleberg, but there are other options. The thing is it shouldn't be an afterthought, and many of these half liner/nest things are exactly that.

Also, don't get a floorless shelter unless you want to be wet/damp. The earth lets out a ton of condensation. A ground sheet that doesn't allow that water to evaporate inside the inner of the tent prevents a lot of moisture issues.

In fact, I spoke about this with Petra Hilleberg one time. They sell footprints that often extend out over the vestibule area as well. The floors on Hillebergs are extremely tough so there is no need for the footprint. The main reason she recommended one to me was if wet ground was letting in a lot of condensation into the tent. The footprint covered more of it to make it less of a problem so the tent ventilation could handle your breathing condensation more efficiently.