USB-C Cell Phone Charger/Charger Compatibility

treillw

WKR
Just got a new cell phone (Samsung S21 Ultra) after years of having a Samsung S6. Per Verizon, I had to get all kinds of new chargers, since the new phone uses USB-C.

Now that I'm home, I'm wondering if I could just buy three new cables that go from traditional USB to USB-C, save some money, use all my old stuff wall/car plugs, and not blow anything up.

Anybody know about this stuff? Will the new ones charge any faster?

Thanks!

mlob1one

WKR
The new ones do charge dramatically faster, but you can use your old blocks too. I love my s21 ultra.

The pics it takes are crazy good. It makes me look like a pro.
36064479763c1888a2ab11b3532d80b6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
I use any wall block I can get my hands on to charge my Galaxy with USB C. Never had an issue. If it's not a fast charging block it will take forever to charge.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mlob1one

WKR
Doesn't slower charging make the battery last longer?
Not anymore. The fast chargers speed it up until it gets to 90%ish, then trickle it in slowly to 100%. The slow chargers now are just that, slow. But they still work in a pinch or if you have need of multiple blocks.

street

WKR
Same charge rate. Nothing special about the usb C. It's still 5V

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
The new ones do charge dramatically faster, but you can use your old blocks too. I love my s21 ultra.

The pics it takes are crazy good. It makes me look like a pro.
36064479763c1888a2ab11b3532d80b6.jpg

Have you found any good digiscoping adapter for it? Not much out there.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Wrong. USB-C to USB-C with a 20W charger is very fast.
So I can use a 5W charger with it but it won't be as fast. If I want the latest and greatest, I need to get a 20w charger?

Am I understanding everything correctly?

Thanks!

Just got the 21+ with a 20W charger from Verizon and charging times are way faster with the "Fast Charging" option enabled on your phone.

Marble

WKR
You don’t need the USB-C to USB-C, but it will be a tad faster. A standard USB to USB-C will do just fine.
The fastest charger I have is USB to USB-C. It's significantly faster than the others I have. It cam take my S20 to from ~20% to 100% in less than an hour. It's quite impressive.

The little adapters that go onto the older chargers will work but not nearly as well as the one that came with the phone.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
We have Anker cords, chargers, and battery banks for our Samsung phones. Cost a bit but everything is quality and compatible. Fast charging and portable power.

My go to brand is Anker for all charging cords, wall plugs, car chargers. They have a good warranty and stand by the product. Their outlet ebay store is the awesome.

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Just be careful you don't buy a wall block that has a USB-C hole in it... you still need the good ol' USB (or you gotta buy cables with USB-C on both ends. Or you could get one with both I guess...

31i8lHOU1tL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Squirrels

WKR
I’ve bought Anker stuff when I needed something beyond what came with a device or to replace something not working anymore. I like them and they have been great about replacing a couple cords that stopped working.