Upgrading Mathews switchback xt to new hoyt

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all I’m in kinda of a unique predicament. I’ve got a Mathews switchback xt that I’ve had since 2006 and love everything about it besides the super slow speed (29” draw and limbs max at like 56*) now I’ve got the opportunity to upgrade my old Mathews to a new hoyt ventum pro 30 on an even trade (pop won the hoyt in a door prize) From folks who have shot the older Mathews solocams how much of a shell shock will it be going to a new twin cam in regard to draw and shootability? Main reason I’m really thinking upgrading is I think my fps with super light arrows is like 240.

Your speed should be higher than that, just depends on what you call super light arrows. I think I was 290 fps with my Switchback, that was close to 5gr/# tho.

Been a while since I have drawn one back, but they were smooth bows. I don't care for the draw cycle on the new Hoyts, I know I'm in a minority with that, but to me they draw hard 1/2" off brace, and all the way out. I'm used to a bow that starts easy and ramps up, just what I'm use to.

I'd say the shoot ability is going to be the same, you are going to gain some speed for certain, but will need to fuss with tuning a little more, which is the case with most any of the modern bows compared to a SB.

The SB definitely have a following, they are still good bows even in today's standards. They are slow, but shoot well, and are forgiving. Doubt you are going to be disappointed in a ventum pro tho. They are solid bows.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
I had to go look at my old notes when I had the limbs warrantied and setup I was wrong it’s closer to 255 with Easton flatline 7.4gpi. Been doing some reading and it sounds like there’s a fair amount of guys that had switchback xt upgraded and miss the old bow. So thinking I’m going to make damn good and sure I like the new bow before letting go of the Mathews. I think if I could get 70* limbs that would help a fair bit

I had to go look at my old notes when I had the limbs warrantied and setup I was wrong it’s closer to 255 with Easton flatline 7.4gpi. Been doing some reading and it sounds like there’s a fair amount of guys that had switchback xt upgraded and miss the old bow. So thinking I’m going to make damn good and sure I like the new bow before letting go of the Mathews. I think if I could get 70* limbs that would help a fair bit

I know of one that just had 70# limbs pulled off of it.

Don't know what's happening with those limbs, but you can order them from Mathews. Just a matter of if it's worth the cost to you.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Ya maybe I’ll Have to see what a dealer can get me in a set of limbs for. Had this bow so many years kind of hard to think bout letting it go

I just shot tac with my xt,shot as good as anyone out to 100 and had alot of people asking what it was sence i tore it down and cerakoted everything.I just upgraded all the add ons.I may get another some day but will keep this one,i have a set of 60 lb limbs if i ever need to lower weight.
70lbs
28.5 draw
390 grain
285 fps

Attachments

• CA8DCE4D-94F4-4FB9-A47E-CA41C5B4FD65.jpeg
    CA8DCE4D-94F4-4FB9-A47E-CA41C5B4FD65.jpeg
    621.5 KB · Views: 17

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
I've also been considering an upgrade from my 2007 Switchback XT, maybe a Halon 6, Triax or possibly newer. From the response on here I might just stick with the XT.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
So gathering my best way to squeeze some speed from the old girl is some 70lb limbs and maybe I slider sight? Local dealer said 300 for new limbs

I would sale your limbs and just buy some.I actually like shooting my setup and its capabilities are better than mine.You don’t replace a rifle you love so why do it with a bow.
Buy some other gear to make you a better hunter.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
dumb question but is there any good/ safe way to get the full 60lb out of my limbs or would I be best to track down some 70s? Not sure 3-4lb will make a difference but anything I can squeeze out of the old girl helps

dumb question but is there any good/ safe way to get the full 60lb out of my limbs or would I be best to track down some 70s? Not sure 3-4lb will make a difference but anything I can squeeze out of the old girl helps
You could try adding twists to the cable to increase draw weight.

You should definitely be able to get full 60, likely 62. I can't begin to remember the Ata and brace specs, but look those up and cross reference it with what you currently have.

Those bowsxare from before McPherson went long draw, should be pretty close to draw length, in spec, and a few pounds heavy.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
I’m dead on 31” ata. I remember when I had my oem limbs warrantied and the new ones were so low my dealer said that was fairly common on Mathews replacements? (They’re camo replacements too for what it’s worth)

I’m dead on 31” ata. I remember when I had my oem limbs warrantied and the new ones were so low my dealer said that was fairly common on Mathews replacements? (They’re camo replacements too for what it’s worth)

I don't know if that's common on replacements or not. I know those bows routinely drew heavy.

What is the actual draw length and the brace height?

Should be 7.5" +- bh.

I wouldn't be afraid to twist the cable up a bit, just stay within 1/4 of the ATA.

Switchback is the best bow ever made by Mathews.
You won't be "upgrading" if you trade in my opinion.
It definitely was one of the best bows they made. I had several in that era, including the switchback. I don’t know if it was because of the 7” brace height or how slow it was, but it was an accurate bow that just shot well for me.

That being said, I’ve had some good success with the new Hoyt’s as well. They take a little more to tune, but also shoot well.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure why I never did this before but with 125gr tip my arrows are coming in at 374gr according to my reloading scale.

JjamesIII

WKR
Adding twist to the cable will slightly increase draw weight, but you need to make sure your cam is turning over optimally. If your messing up the tune, it’s all for not. 1# increase is just 2-3 fps gained, I believe.

I actually had to put 60 pound limbs on my Hoyt the other day, and I tuned it in perfectly to factory specs, it’s pulling at 58.75 pounds with limb bolts tight. Expect some variance in limb poundage. Some are light, some are heavy. I tried to get it at 60 by adding twist to the cable, add it became less efficient, and I lost speed. Once the cams were perfectly dialed in the bow gained 5 fps.

Last edited: