Building a Nostalgic Bow Setup - Switchback XT

ASH556

FNG
I've got a Mathews V3 31. I bought it new in Jan 2021 just after it came out and it's outfitted with a Spot Hogg Fast Eddie 2 pin, QAD HDX rest, 8" Flatline Stab, and HD Web Quiver. I really dig it!

52294003336_cda490d51b_b.jpg

BUT

I got into bowhunting in 2006 and bought my first bow in 2007, a leftover Archery Resarch AR32 package on closeout. It was a fine bow and I shot it until 2020 when I sold it to buy a Mathews Vertix (Sold the Vertix when I got the V3). At the time in 2007 I didn't know if I'd like archery or really stick with it (and I did take several years off), so I went cheap. I've always regretted that and wished I had bought the Mathews Switchback XT everyone was recommending at the time.

So with that said, I'm keeping my eyes open for one in good condition. That said, how would you have outfitted a new Switchback XT in 2007? I kind of want to build it "period correct" if you will. What sight, rest, stabilizer would you have on it?

WCB

WKR
I had a Bowtech Patriot back then. I had a MBG 7 pin sight with a Vaportrail Limb Driver rest. I shot CE Maximas with Rocket Ultimate Steel heads.

Still use MBG sights and Limb Driver rests. Obviously new versions. Still have and use my Scott Silverhorn release I bought in 2007 with that Patriot. No idea how many shots I have through it.

I actually just thought about buying a Bowtech Guardian with the same thought process as you. Or going back and buying a PSE Nova and shooting Aluminums and feathers with the old Rocket Hammerheads just for kicks

I did that with a Mathews Mq32.

All the top of the line stuff for tge time on it.

I can't remember right now what was the it stuff in '07, but I'll look through stuff and figure it out.

Doing this right now.I use my old sbxt I rebuilt a few years back and doing another now for tac/longer shots.
Full tear down and refinish in sniper grey,hamska rest,new grip,string,all plastic and rubber parts.
Aae mountain stabilizers.
I’m not sure on sight but im thinking hha tetra dovetail with a single housing and a 4 pin housing for hunting.
Maybe a specialty peep so I can thread in smaller apertures .

jeffpg

WKR
I have 3 Switchback XT's in excellent condition. They are all set up exactly alike, with the exception of sights. I use different sight setups on each for particular uses.

They are as good as you have heard they are.

WCB

WKR
I did that with a Mathews Mq32.

All the top of the line stuff for tge time on it.

I can't remember right now what was the it stuff in '07, but I'll look through stuff and figure it out.
rest in '07 were definitely Trophy Taker, NAP quick tunes, (around MN) Vapor Trail Limb Drivers.

Sights: Copper Johns Dead Nuts?, MBG were coming on, Spot Hog Hog it and Real Deal

Arrows: Carbon Express Maxima, I think Beamans were a big thing, Easton FMJs

Fletching: Blazers, Quick Spins, hahahaha FOBs

Broadheads: SLick Tricks, RAGE, Strikers, Montecs, Muzzy were still big.

Remember Alpine and High Country bows....for some reason I liked that time in the Archery World more than today

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
Mathews Downforce Rest
Black Gold Skylight sight
Two Piece Arrow Web quiver
4 inch Limbsaver Stabilizer

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
My Mathew’s Outback had a Schaefer drop away rest, spot Hogg 3 pin, and the extra heavy Mathew’s 2 piece quiver

I shoot a conquest 2, with a TT pronghorn rest. Bow is 41 inches A2A, it just works.

Couple friends always asking when I’ll upgrade. Maybe someday to a switchback.

My brand new switchback xt had a trophy taker pronghorn rest, a vital gear single pin sight, and (gasp) a Hoyt two piece quiver. Wish I still had it for sure!

My Mathew’s Outback had a Trophy Taker Pronghorn Rest, Spot Hogg Real Deal sight, Fuse 2-piece quiver, 4” Limbsaver stabilizer, & shooting Easton Axis with Slick Tricks. Thanks for the nostalgia!

OR Archer

WKR
I ran an old Trophy Ridge Drop Zone rest on my Switchback. Had a Real Deal 5pin from Spot Hogg. A 2 piece Fuse quiver. Can’t remember the stabilizer I had for certain but I’m thinking it was a Doinker.

OP
A

ASH556

FNG
Well I finally found a 29/70 SBXT on Ebay last week and it'll be here Friday. Also picked up a Spot Hogg Real Deal off the 'bay that should be here Thursday. Bow is coming with a QAD rest on it, and I picked up one of the mini Axion stabs with the Harmonic Dampers. Excited to see how this thing shoots! Jury's still out on the quiver. Might just run this old Kwikee I have off my pack. Even the old Mathews quivers bring stupid money.

SWOHTR

WKR
Love the idea, and I've contemplated buying a LH 28/70 Switchback to have as a backup and because of the overwhelmingly positive reviews. I'd probably keep it simple w/ a fixed 5-pin and whisker biscuit. I have a Creed I bought new in 2014 that I like well enough that is my "daily" shooter, with a TT limb-driven rest and MBG Ascent.

I've also wanted a Monster Safari...

OP
A

ASH556

FNG
FedEx delivered the bow last night and I took it up to my local shop this morning. The strings and cables seemed to be homemade and were out of spec, so she got a new set of Vaportrails. They RE-installed and properly timed the QAD LD rest that came on the bow and I installed the Spot Hogg 5 pin Real Deal I picked up. Got home and got pins set 20-60. Shot a Vegas 3 spot round, and then played around with videos at 60yds to check sound. I also had my wife and son come out and listen. We all agreed the SBXT is quieter. Some of it may be the pitch. The SBXT has a lower tone to the shot where the V3 is a higher pitched “pop.” After that I screwed on a 3 blade 100gr Muzzy and confirmed at 20, 30, and 40. This is 40yds with the Muzzy, Swhacker, and fieldpoint. I may have doinked the FP a little, but the Swhacker too the nock and a vane off the Muzzy arrow. Dead deer.

Shooting the SBXT naked at this point with nothing but the factory limb-mounted suppressors. I may put a String Tamer on it, not decided yet. Also not decided on a stabilizer. I have a 3” Axion with Harmonic Dampers inbound; we’ll see.

I really do prefer this sight to the Fast Eddie on my V3 though. I guess I’m just a multi-pin guy.

Honestly I’m debating selling my V3. This Switchback XT is SWEET!

IMG_5527.jpeg
IMG_5520.jpeg
IMG_5524.jpeg
IMG_5525.jpeg