Upgrade or replace 7mm mag

Trying to decide how I want to approach my Remington 783 7mm. It’s obviously a low budget rifle, so I’m looking to upgrade a few things like trigger, barrel and maybe even stock (don’t like the composite for some reason).

Or, do I just cut my losses and buy a higher end rifle? I also have a browning X Bolt in 6.5CM, so I would consider something other than the 7mm so that I can have a better range of rifle options.

Either way, I think I’m just looking to have some fun with my current gun and enjoy the upgrades, or just start fresh and reap the benefits of a new, mid level rifle.

Thanks in advance.

OP
A
I hope I’m not bursting your bubble, but that platform is not worth building on. Start fresh, imo.

Not at all. I appreciate the honesty, and figured this may be the case. I knew what I was getting when I bought it, but wanted to explore options.

Rob5589

WKR
Makes for a great back up or loaner. But agree, get something else if you really want to go down that road.

OP
A
Thanks, everyone. Any recommendations on what larger caliber I could pair up with my 6.5CM that would give me the most flexibility with 2 rifles?

elkguide

WKR
I have a few rifles, in fact the last 4 that I bought are living in my son's safe because mine is overloaded. Just yesterday my new custom barreled 6.5 PRC showed up and I'm not sure which rifle will go and "visit" my son to make room for this rifle. The 788 in my opinion is not something that I would build up. While functional, that is all it ever will be.

Now as to what breed to go with.... well that is truly a personal matter. Everyone has what feels best to them. I've shot some amazing groups with Brownings and Tikkas but I have sold everyone that I have had because they just don't feel good in my hands. My favorite rifle is an old Ruger 77 tang safety model and that is what my PRC is built on. Most people don't like the old mauser action but for me, when I throw one up and point it, I know that the odds are really good that something is going to tip over or I'm going to find a very small hole in the paper that I am punching.

My first criteria in a rifle, or hand gun for that matter, is fit. I say that because if you are not comfortable with what is in your hands, it's hard to overcome some of the other variables. (as to fit, I am very fortunate to have the tools and to have worked with wood and fiber materials most of my life so I don't actually have a single rifle that I hunt with that I haven't modified the stock for me.) The next value and almost as critical is the trigger.

Now when it comes to which caliber.............. here we go down the rabbit hole!
Over the years that I have spent guiding and hunting for elk, I have seen elk taken with everything from a 25:06 to the big Lazzeroni. Most any one will take an animal with the right bullet and the right bullet placement. Having rifles that are smaller in caliber and rifles that are bigger in caliber, when I personally head to the elk hills, 9 times out of 10, I grab a .300 Win Mag. To me it is the most versatile caliber with the ability to go from 110 grain to 220 grain bullets in factory offerings and more if you are a handloader. And actually the elk and deer that I shot with a rifle this year were all shot with a .300 Win Mag.

So don't know if there is anything in this long diatribe that is helpful but it's below zero here so didn't feel like working outside today and with a 25mph cross wind at my backyard range, not much good bench time either so I'm rambling on. Good luck and have fun with your picking of your next best hunting/shooting friend.

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
I have two buddy's that own 783, both leave much to be desired... You could upgrade but I would personally replace.

OP
A
I have a few rifles, in fact the last 4 that I bought are living in my son's safe because mine is overloaded. Just yesterday my new custom barreled 6.5 PRC showed up and I'm not sure which rifle will go and "visit" my son to make room for this rifle. The 788 in my opinion is not something that I would build up. While functional, that is all it ever will be.

Now as to what breed to go with.... well that is truly a personal matter. Everyone has what feels best to them. I've shot some amazing groups with Brownings and Tikkas but I have sold everyone that I have had because they just don't feel good in my hands. My favorite rifle is an old Ruger 77 tang safety model and that is what my PRC is built on. Most people don't like the old mauser action but for me, when I throw one up and point it, I know that the odds are really good that something is going to tip over or I'm going to find a very small hole in the paper that I am punching.

My first criteria in a rifle, or hand gun for that matter, is fit. I say that because if you are not comfortable with what is in your hands, it's hard to overcome some of the other variables. (as to fit, I am very fortunate to have the tools and to have worked with wood and fiber materials most of my life so I don't actually have a single rifle that I hunt with that I haven't modified the stock for me.) The next value and almost as critical is the trigger.

Now when it comes to which caliber.............. here we go down the rabbit hole!
Over the years that I have spent guiding and hunting for elk, I have seen elk taken with everything from a 25:06 to the big Lazzeroni. Most any one will take an animal with the right bullet and the right bullet placement. Having rifles that are smaller in caliber and rifles that are bigger in caliber, when I personally head to the elk hills, 9 times out of 10, I grab a .300 Win Mag. To me it is the most versatile caliber with the ability to go from 110 grain to 220 grain bullets in factory offerings and more if you are a handloader. And actually the elk and deer that I shot with a rifle this year were all shot with a .300 Win Mag.

So don't know if there is anything in this long diatribe that is helpful but it's below zero here so didn't feel like working outside today and with a 25mph cross wind at my backyard range, not much good bench time either so I'm rambling on. Good luck and have fun with your picking of your next best hunting/shooting friend.

Thank you for this. I really like my browning but would like to venture out and try a Tikka. People around here seem to like them.

rootacres

WKR
Id start new. If you had a rem 700 I could probably go either way. Building is fun (at least I think it is) and you can do exactly what you want. Its a reflection of what you feel is best for the task. Most aftermarket actions will do what you need them to do. Just depends how much you want to spend.

Someone posted this website. Its a good starting point for an action. The barrel may take some time to get and so will some stocks. Its kinda a hurry up and wait type scenario right now.

35remy

FNG
With todays modern bullet profiles and twist rates, something new seems like fun.

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
If you can afford to, I would keep that rifle as a backup and buy another.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord