Upgrade or punt 300wby

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,
I’ve got an elk hunt in October (for lead time reference) that id like to take my older 300wby on. My only hesitation is that it’s a heavy sob, and this will be a ton of big mountain hiking. The gun is great, total shooter. I ordered a peak 44 black tooth stock the day I got the tag, but am reconsidering a bit at this point. It’s a lefty, my kids aren’t. Do I continue with the new stock and go for it, or punt and buy a 300 win mag (?) that is from this century. Worried I’m chasing good money with bad, as I’m the last guy that will care about this gun.

What say you??

Get rid of it... if your kids aren't lefthanded, that won't do them any favors.
Also, the 300 Roy is antiquated at best.
Ammo is expensive, brass is very expensive.

You'd be better off with a 300 prc or 300 win mag if your wanted another 30 cal

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
You need a light elk rifle for your kids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How old are your kids? Are you left handed, is that why you have it? Is this gun for you or your kids?

letrbuck

WKR
gun is a shooter and you'll be lighter with better ergos with the new stock. Stop thinking to hard and stick with it. Spend some time getting in better condition for the hunt, or spend the money on making other things in your pack lighter

OP
jblam

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
I think all in the rifle weighs in over 11lbs. And no I don’t need a light rifle for my kids, I need a right handed one, but thanks for towing the line as the required internet troll.

Yes, I’m a lefty, but now that my kids are old enough that they are clearly not left handed and it would be great for them to be able to use my guns in the future, I’ve given up on left handed rifles…and scissors.

Thanks for other advice, one of my hunting buddies and I have tried to slowly adopt the “less shit, more grit” method of hunting, and this is clearly breaking that rule either way! 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

atmat

WKR
I don’t know that I’d necessarily get rid of it. But if you want a lighter rifle, and you think your kids will eventually hunt/shoot, it makes sense to spend the money on a new right handed gun vs a new stock.

OP
jblam

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know that I’d necessarily get rid of it. But if you want a lighter rifle, and you think your kids will eventually hunt/shoot, it makes sense to spend the money on a new right handed gun vs a new stock.
This is the core issue. New stock = half a real solid 300wm.

Yes, I’m a lefty, but now that my kids are old enough that they are clearly not left handed and it would be great for them to be able to use my guns in the future, I’ve given up on left handed rifles…and scissors.
if you’ve given up on left handed rifles then you might as well get rid of it.
If you wanted to continue using it lefty then I’d say go for the new stock to drop a little weight, since the gun shoots well. But if you don’t shoot lefty anymore i’d ditch it

I think the 300 wby round is awesome. I would keep the 300 weatherby for myself and buy a Ruger american 6.5 creedmoor for my kids to shoot.

Keep it and replace the stock. You might have one of your kids be left eye dominant. I've killed a ton of game with a $400 Vanguard in 300 Roy. Once I shoot the barrel out of my current one, I'll upgrade to a Mark V. My avatar pic is from last fall's UT deer with my 300 Wby. 312 yards. One and done with a 212 eld-x.

This is the core issue. New stock = half a real solid 300wm.

Meh. It costs half a "real solid 300wm" when you build a new rifle and use it as a component stock anyway. All my custom rifles could have bought 3+ other rifles instead too. I wouldn't think about things that way so much and just do whatever to get a rifle that meets your goals.

49ereric

WKR
Hard to beat a rifle that you shoulder and shoot well.
depends on if you’ll have the time to get used to a new rifle.

Punt, I’m sure there’s lots of tough guys who say 2- 3 pounds is nothing but it all adds up. I’m in pretty good shape at 50 and I took my my model 70 300wm (11 pounds roughly) to the San Juan’s a few years ago…never again. I dropped down to a roughly 7.5 pound set up. It made a huge difference carrying and strapped to my pack. Pounds equal pain.