Upgrade my spotter? Is the BTX eyepiece worth it?

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a Swarovski STS65 with 20-60 eyepiece since about 2008. It has served well on 2 antelope hunts and a significant amount of summer whitetail glassing here in the Midwest. Due to the heat in both of these scenarios, the mirage is terrible which I know no optic can resolve. My issue is this: I have very sensitive eyes with regards to strain and looking through one eye invariably results in a solid headache.

For those that use the Swarovski BTX eyepiece, does this meaningfully resolve eyestrain? Given the generation of my spotter I would have to buy all new. I can buy what I need, but its $5k to put toward another hunt if the outcome isn't meaningfully better.

My current setup is light enough when paired with a Bog pod serving double duty for shooting. When on more extreme hunts with a guide I just look through theirs and don't don't take mine.

kota

FNG
Yes, I get a lot less eye strain and headaches with the BTX than I did with a traditional spotter. I also feel like I pick up more detail having dual vision, meaning I spot stuff farther away even though the magnification is less. The downside are that it’s like an anchor in your pack and there are times where I still want more magnification. I think you would have to use it a lot to justify upgrading over what you already have, which is really nice equipment.

CLP

FNG
I agree with kota. Few things out there are as amazing as the BTX and I can glass all day with little eye fatigue. The main issue is weight. For this thing to shine you need the 95 or 115 objective and at that point it’s HEAVY.

Adamsfj

Lil-Rokslider
Yes it is worth it if you spend a lot of time behind the spotter. I recently upgraded mine to the BTX 95 this year with no regrets

tlaloc22

FNG
Yes, I get a lot less eye strain and headaches with the BTX than I did with a traditional spotter. I also feel like I pick up more detail having dual vision, meaning I spot stuff farther away even though the magnification is less. The downside are that it’s like an anchor in your pack and there are times where I still want more magnification. I think you would have to use it a lot to justify upgrading over what you already have, which is really nice equipment.
Any opinion on the 1.7x magnification? I’ve heard a few different things.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
If you are glassing BiG country there is nothing better. If you are counting on it for judging a specific animal, the spotter is a better choice.

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
I own the BTX 95 and also have the 1.7 magnifier. The nice thing about the BTX is that it allows a little fine tuning between eyes. My prescription is different each eye, but I can adjust it so that both eyes have a clear view. For me, this is what leads to less eye strain.

As to the 1.7 magnifier, it works great in the winter or on a clear summer night. If I use it during a summer or fall day, I get way to much mirage.

One other thought, I have found for me that clarity can overcome magnification. Meaning if an image is super clear at 40x, I can see finer details with both eyes than I can with a single eye spotter that has higher magnification but lower quality glass.

That's just my opinion, everyone's eyes are different. Hope this helps

fatrascal

WKR
If you are not backpack hunting then the BTX with 95 or 115 objective is great. In my opinion it is also great with the 65 objective and could be used while backpacking although heavier than a single eye spotting scope. Fatrascal