UPDATE - Meindl Comfort Fit Hunter - First impressions

Meindl Comfort Fit Hunters are in play. They've been on my feet for a couple of hours and so far I'm stoked. The toe box is wide and I'm not getting the outside toe pinch that I've been fighting with my other boots. These are in line to replace my Lowa Hunter GTX Evo Extreme which are also an insulated boot. This toe-to-toe shows the broader toe box on the Meindl.

They are NOT super stiff through the midsole. Less so that my Lowa Hunters, Tibets and Ticam II, more comparable to my Lowa Baldo. This is the Hunter, I can't speak to the Extreme but from what I can tell they are the same midsole. The box says that these are a B/C rated stiffness for "ambitious trekking" in low alpine. I like the flex.

The cork footbeds are really interesting. They are super comfy, we'll see how they hold up.

On sizing, all of my Lowa boots are a 11D. Phil with Meindl assured me that the 10.5 would be the size I wanted, and it is. I was intimidated going down that 1/2 size but it was right on.

OP
backcountryshaffer
Update: I've been beating the tar out of these things and I'm still pleasantly surprised. They have done a good job keeping my feet safe, warm, and dry, through some pretty nasty conditions. Comparing them to my experience with the Lowa Tibet I'd definitely put the Meindl a step forward. I've got to say that I'd probably be happy with them just because of the toe box, but there is so much more. I'm tempted to start buying the other models of the Comfort Fit last boots but since I can't really justify that expenditure right now I think I'll keep pounding on these for a while longer.

Can you offer an opinion on the stiffness? Can you compare the level to the Cabela's version?

derricklay23

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the market for a new pair of boots as i prepare for my first high country mule deer hunt next year. I live in PA and mostly just hunt whitetails in the midwest but would like a boot for both. My question is, would these be too big/heavy for backpacking? If i could use these out west in September/October and than back home for the rut in November in OH, PA, IL ect. that would be huge. Any input would help!? Thanks

OP
backcountryshaffer
I'm in the market for a new pair of boots as i prepare for my first high country mule deer hunt next year. I live in PA and mostly just hunt whitetails in the midwest but would like a boot for both. My question is, would these be too big/heavy for backpacking? If i could use these out west in September/October and than back home for the rut in November in OH, PA, IL ect. that would be huge. Any input would help!? Thanks
You probably don't want insulated for September out here. It can be really warm. Other than that no, not too big or heavy for backpack hunting. The comfort Fit hunter and hiker are my new goto boots for everything.

wct3500

FNG
Greetings everyone, new member here. I just received my pair of comfort fits last month. Been wearing them everyday in the snow, and these boots are the real deal. Best fitting pair of boots right out of the box I have ever owned!