Unwanted freezer thaw out due to GFCI

avodude

Lil-Rokslider
I had a GGCI trip out in the garage of a house that I rent, before labor day weekend. By the time we got back, all of the items in the freezer had been thawed out for several days and it was really putting out a nasty smell. Had a lot of food and deer meat in there and was a pain to lose all of that food.

Turns out, it has been code, for awhile, requiring a GFCI in the garage (I think my wife tripped it out while vacuuming her car for the trip). I'm not going to change it over to a standard circuit because this is a rental - it is not my place. I'm writing to let people know that this could happen and to find out what other people have done to keep their freezer from thawing out. A light plugged into the circuit always on? An alarm? I've see some alarms online but they get mixed reviews. What do you guys use to keep tabs on your freezer other than checking it every day or two?

Last edited:

_Nick_

WKR
Freezer alarm. Plus my freezer is in the corner of my bedroom. I've got a good idea whether it's running or not, a small apartment, and an understanding girlfriend :)

JJHACK

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Wa. State and in Elisrass South Africa
i don't rent, so it's a bit easier for me

I ran a dedicated 20 amp circuit right from the breaker box for the freezer and chose a single outlet socket so nothing else can be plugged into it. I also used a plastic cable clamp around the cord and to the screw in the socket plate to keep the cord from coming unplugged accidentally.

I lost a whole elk exactly the way you described about 7 years ago. I also had a freezer alarm, but when you're not home it is of no use. I'll not forget the way the floor looked soaked in blood running out of the garage when I opened the door. The food on the bottom was still pretty cold but it was a mess all the same.

FreeRange

WKR
http://www.amazon.com/Control-Products-FA-I-CCA-Intermediate-FreezeAlarm/dp/B000071NYC
Control Products FA-I-CCA Intermediate FreezeAlarm

A bit pricey but not as bad as losing some hard earned meat. You need to plug it in to a phone jack and obviously need to have land line service. It does call outs to 3 pre-set numbers. I've installed them for a few of my customers in large freezers and coolers and they're a good, reliable low cost option relative to what we usually install. Very easy to program.

Roy68

WKR
My folks house is to old for GFCI outlets, and the freezer is in the shop not the house. They always have a radio plugged into the same circuit, and is always left on. If the radio is off start investigating.

I built a new house a couple of years ago. GFCI was obviously required, and my freezer is in the garage. What I learned in my state & county (rural) code was that there must be "A" GFCI outlet in each breaker'd circuit. My electrician explained that what he does is to put the GFCI as the last outlet in that circuit, that way my freezer is on a normal plug that is not controlled by the GFCI, but the code was met. Go Figure. My Freezer is a 30 cubic feet freezer and it has a built in alarm. Other than that I cross my fingers and have a rider on my insurance for freezer loss.

I also am of the opinion that the house must be built to code, after that it is your house do as you wish. If that means removing a GFCI or installing a dedicated outlet that is not GFCI then have at it.

OP
avodude

avodude

Lil-Rokslider
Man, losing a whole elk or deer would be terrible. I would be so sick. Luckily I didn't have too much deer meat in there. My renter's insurance hadn't taken effect either, but with a $500 deductible it was probably a wash anyway.

I really like the concept of the Control Products FA-I-CCA Intermediate FreezeAlarm. The fact that it calls three numbers would help if you were not around - maybe have a friend or neighbor check on it. Like you say, FreeRange, it would need a regular phone line, which we don't have - all cell. Is there a temp probe that comes with it or do you have to buy it separately?

The Kohls sensor could probably just get put in the freezer and I could check the temp whenever I'm online or in the house. Could it send a wifi signal through the freezer? Has anyone ever used one of these systems?

Apparently GFCI garage wall outlets were code starting in 1978. I thought it was much more recent.

The outlet that the freezer is plugged in is the furthest downstream outlet, so I couldn't move the GFCI to change the protection scheme unfortunately. I could move the freezer to the other plug, then move the GFCI to the plug it is in now. Sounds like a ton of work especially with all of the stuff in the garage the way it is now.

Nick, I don't think my wife would appreciate it being in the bedroom. Haha. You really do have an understanding girlfriend.

FreeRange

WKR
I'm with you on the no land line issue myself. The unit does have a temp probe included with at least a 5 foot lead. I would have one myself if not for the phone service. I lost a freezer once while out of the country for a few months, it was an unforgettable welcome home.

OP
avodude

avodude

Lil-Rokslider
I like the idea of using a radio. Doesn't take much energy but would I notice if it was off or not in the garage if I was so used to it? Same with a CFL or LED light plugged in the socket.

Roy68

WKR
I think you would notice the radio prety quickly if it was off. Sorta like getting used to anything. You instantly notice when that particular thing has changed or is no longer there.

I also ran a dedicated circuit with no GFI outlet.
If and when its time to sell...then swap it out with a GFI outlet...easy switch.

I'd cry if I came home to that...There is a 1/2 side of beef, 2 hogs, deer sausage and my elk in my freezer. I'd guard it with my life!

jmez

WKR
I own my house and just replaced the GFI's with regular outlets that my freezer's plug into. If I sell the house I'll pop the GFI's back in. Takes about 60 seconds to change one.

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
So maybe you guys can help me out as I'm challenged in the electrician world but recently had a very close call with a freezer full of 100lbs of Alaskan salmon, my spring bear hide, and a bunch of bear and duck/goose sausage. This freezer (and the beer fridge right next to it) are located in the garage up against the wall separating the garage from the house. The outlet that this freezer is plugged in to doesn't have a GFI on it but the outlet in the bathroom directly on the other side of the wall does. And that is what tripped and shut off the freezer recently. Thankfully it wasn't off for more than our 8 hour work day when my wife caught it. But I'm curious if there's anything I can do to prevent this from happening again? It's not the first time it's happened either. We own the house so I could theoretically run a dedicated circuit over there for the fridge and freezer but don't necessarily want to pay someone to do that.

Thoughts?

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
So maybe you guys can help me out as I'm challenged in the electrician world but recently had a very close call with a freezer full of 100lbs of Alaskan salmon, my spring bear hide, and a bunch of bear and duck/goose sausage. This freezer (and the beer fridge right next to it) are located in the garage up against the wall separating the garage from the house. The outlet that this freezer is plugged in to doesn't have a GFI on it but the outlet in the bathroom directly on the other side of the wall does. And that is what tripped and shut off the freezer recently. Thankfully it wasn't off for more than our 8 hour work day when my wife caught it. But I'm curious if there's anything I can do to prevent this from happening again? It's not the first time it's happened either. We own the house so I could theoretically run a dedicated circuit over there for the fridge and freezer but don't necessarily want to pay someone to do that.

Thoughts?
I'd run a dedicated circuit. Bathrooms and kitchens are supposed to have a gfci and therefore not an ideal situation to have a freezer full of meat on the same circuit.

Big box stores, Amazon, ebay have alarms. Mine is wireless from 2 freezers with temps on display and programmable alarm limits. I think I recall paying about $30.00

scrubs

FNG
I lost about 3/4`s of a beef and some deer meat the same way. I was storing my freezer at my brothers house for a short time while lived in an apartment after selling my house, he went away for a week long vacation. Really sucked & what a mess.

Zbowman1

WKR
I am an electrician. In new house construction garage freezers are almost always run on dedicated circuits for this very reason. With that being said, GFCI's are there to protect you. If the circuit you are trying to utilize for your freezer is protected by one then it is not a good circuit to use. Call a professional and have someone install a dedicated circuit for your freezer. There is no other proper fix for this. It will quite possible save you money, time and pain in the long run. If you rent I would call your landlord or building manager and see what they can do for you. There is some pretty dangerous advice being given here.