Unpopular opinion Mountain house > Peak refuel

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
Am I the only one that likes the flavor of pretty much any Mountain House meals over the Peak refuels? I like the fact that the Peak generally has hire calorie counts. The exception is the Peak chicken curry, it is my favorite of all the meals that I have tried. What is your favorite freeze dried meal? I am wanting to try a few new ones to add to the pack this year.

They are expensive but i really like stowaway gourmet. I have eaten so many mt houses earlier in life im sick of them. We got a freeze dryer and are experimenting with making our own now which is pretty exciting. Made some really good pasta with chicken and vodka sauce

In general, I prefer Peak Refuel to Mountain House.
My favorite freeze dried meal is the Turkey and Dressing dinner from Mountain House. I'm a sucker for traditional Thanksgiving food.

I actually prefer the MH chicken curry over the peak refuel. Peak Refuel makes the best pesto with an OK chicken alfredo. Backpackers pantry by far has the best chicken alfredo. MH has the best red sauce meals - spaghetti and lasagna. (of course all my person preference)

I always have a couple chicken curry, pesto, and chicken alfredo and then just have randoms to fill in after that. There are way more that I dislike that I like now days and I'm not a picky eater.

My favorite freeze dried meal is MH Italian Pepper Steak but I mostly have Peak because of how light MH is on calories these days.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
They are expensive but i really like stowaway gourmet. I have eaten so many mt houses earlier in life im sick of them. We got a freeze dryer and are experimenting with making our own now which is pretty exciting. Made some really good pasta with chicken and vodka sauce
Man Stowaway Gourmet is crazy good, I’ve tried them all and none compare.

Backpackers pantry and Alpine Aire tend to jive with my tastes better than Mountain House. I've eaten a few Peak Refuel meals but nothing that really struck me.

Side by side testing, wife and I both liked MH better than Peak. We use 4-5 different freeze dried meal brands. Each has one we like better than the others.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
Off-grid is delicious, and Peak is pretty close behind. I have celiacs disease, so I am stuck eating gluten free and that limits my selection. I don't think we haven't finished either brand, I can remember never finishing a mountain house.

Oregonboy

WKR
My favorites would be MH beef stroganoff and/or MH chicken and dumplings.

I tried Peak meals as well and prefer mountain house. For whatever reason, MH doesn’t hurt my stomach, whereas the Peak chicken and Rice did a number on me.

Moserkr

WKR
I tried some peaks meals and had issues with rehydrating the meat. Never had an issue with mtn house. Peak has some flavors that are better but mtn is good too. Im not picky and my stomach handles everything.

Bought a dehydrator for the wife and now I use it more than her lol. Started making my own meals last season. Need to do some experimenting and then Im doing only my own next year.

Last edited:
Buy a dehydrator and never go back.

I have one but haven’t used it in many, many years. If you got some good recipes, and don’t mind sharing, I’d love to have a good reason to break it out and try my hand at some recommended backpacking meals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moserkr

WKR
@AK Troutbum For dehydrated meals I just made extra portions of regular meals I eat at home that would dehydrate easy. Spaghetti, mac n cheese, enchiladas, and teryaki chicken veggie n rice, just off the top of my head. Id chop up the leftovers into small, even pieces, then freeze em til I had enough to fill the dehydrator. Follow its instructions and done! Throw em in some mylar bags with the oxygen absorbers off amazon. Store em in the freezer until I go hunting. Meal costs went down significantly this way. Hardest part is figuring out water amounts and rehydration times - thats the part im on now. So those are now my experimental lunches…

Best part is you’re eating home cooking to your normal satisfaction. Can make em as rich or meaty as you want.